Fox Outfitters Double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ / OV Aerie
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

Buffalo River Run 2014>Ponca to Pruitt>Ozarks, AR

MasterStrapper and I left Oxford, MS around 8:30am headed towards the Buffalo National River. We canoed the lower sections a couple years ago but this time we'd be floating in our kayaks and it'd be the upper sections from Ponca to Pruitt. That stretch is roughly 24 miles of the most scenic views on the river.

Our drive up was flawless. We decided to bypass Memphis to avoid some Memphis in May traffic and opted for a route through Helena, AR and up Scenic Route 7.

ride up.jpgthe big sip.jpg

We arrived at our outfitter, did our paperwork, and were ready to launch by 3:30pm. The water was **** near perfect. We couldn't wait to put paddles to water and start our journey.

Ponca launch.jpg

I plopped down in my yak and grabbed my paddle. My tail-end was still ashore so I used my paddle to assist my departure. All of a sudden... POW!!! I look to my right and see half of my paddle blade floating by! I quickly grabbed it and put it in my lap, just in time to see rock to the right in the picture above. BAM! My nose-end hits it, the current pushes my yak sideways and I immediately start taking on water. I can't post the commentary I had during this chain of events but you can imagine the tone, word usage. I somehow managed to muscle my yak up onto a rock bar and began draining water. Keep in mind this is all within the first 30 yards of a three day journey.

adversity.jpg

After a good laugh to start the trip, we headed on down river towards Steel Creek landing. It's only about 2.5 miles but they were tough going with a gimpy paddle and a wet, cold operator. We came to the conclusion that I had too much weight in the rear of my boat. The remedy: set up camp ASAP and redistribute the load before our all-day affair on Saturday. Unfortunately that meant we'd have to consume most of the beverages in my cooler as well. Tough job but somebody had to do it.

Our camp at Steel Creek was pretty nice. We cooked up what's become our signature meal for most trips; two large sausages from LB's Meat Market in Oxford, instant bacon cheddar potatoes, and crackers. Just spork a load of taters on your cracker, put a slice of sausage on top and you've got a real treat.

Here's the view from our camp area at Steel Creek

steel creek pool.jpgsteel creek pool 2.jpg

We settled into our hammocks before 11:00pm just as the rain was starting to fall. Don't worry, there wasn't a flash flood or anything. Just a light drizzle most of the night.

I slept great thanks to my new KAQ from Arrowhead. This was my first time using an UQ so it took me a minute to get it adjusted just like I wanted it. Here's a shot of it beside my ENO

hang.jpg

Saturday we got up and hit it fairly early. We covered the 8 miles to Kyle's Landing by lunch and on down to Erbie campground around 3:00pm. The float was nice although the sun didn't shine until late afternoon. We pulled ashore several times and watched groups come through on day-trips. We saw a couple near misses and one lady tip a kayak over but most everybody stayed upright with big smiles on their faces. Especially the group of Amish kids we saw come down. Yes, Amish. Probably 8-10 kids between the ages of 13-17. They were grinning ear to ear as they paddled by us. Not gonna lie, it was kind of shocking to see them come around the bend with bonnets and straw hats on.

Old house place and MasterStrapper

house place.jpgRuger.jpg

Once we reached Erbie it was decision time. We could set up camp and finish the last 7.5 miles Sunday morning OR we could bang out that last bit and head into town for a hot shower and heavy meal.

We opted for the latter.

At 5:00pm we arrived at Pruitt Landing. We had just paddled 21+ miles! By this time I was pretty cold. I had started shivering a little when we stopped at Erbie. Paddling had kept me warm but the thought of a hot shower and something starchy to eat kept me paddling. Strapper walked up to get the truck... only the truck wasn't there. I knew something was up when he stayed gone longer than needed. My fears were confirmed when he came walking back to the take-out. Luckily I had cell service and was able to call the outfitter. Turns out they were going to drop our truck off that night. We had originally planned on camping the 2nd night and coming out Sunday morning. Well..... that changed. After a few back and forth phone calls, we decided that it'd be quicker for us to hitch a ride back than to wait for them to shuttle our vehicle to us. Only problem was the parking lot was deserted. Just then I heard a vehicle coming. It was a fellow floater that was coming down to check the water level for her float the next day. We explained our situation and she jumped at the opportunity to help out. After a short exchange reassuring her that we weren't psychos or predators, my buddy hopped in with her and off they went to fetch our ride. My time at the take-out wasn't lost. I got to enjoy the company of a few locals and some fellow out-of-towners that were down from Indiana. Strapper got back around 6:30pm. We loaded up our boats and headed into Harrison, AR where we checked into a cheapo hotel and hit up a local steakhouse.

It was definitely a memorable trip.

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the write-up and pics. That Buffalo River sure is a pretty float. I was on the lower a couple weeks ago when the tornadoes hit Central AR. Got driven off the river by a HUGE thunder storm. Finally got shelter and some food in our bellies and turned in for the night only to hear a huge tree fall. It was one of 4 that fell that night. Needless to say, we didn't sleep well, especially when we were woken up at 4 a.m. by some guys hollering at each other on the river. Seems the river came up about 6 ft (we were a good 75 yards off the river) and they almost got washed away. Life jackets went on and we started helping the poor unfortunate souls (that camped RIGHT ON THE RIVER... during a thunderstorm). All was saved, fire was started, oatmeal and coffee were consumed and just waited for the sun to come up. Things are always better in the daylight. So, in an effort to NOT hijack your trip report, the Buffalo is awesome, but still the wilderness. I hope folks remember that and not take it for granted. I will definitely be going back and I hope those two goobers that almost got washed away learned something and will be back, just better prepared.

Thanks again for those pics.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    We had a group of Mennonite kids put in near us last May. they had fun. They got out at Woolum. They were attempting a group photo, so I took their camera and took it for them.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    eno tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ & ENO TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Images
    Sweet report! Your pics are awesome! I'm thinking about doing my first kayak camping trip soon.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Insulation
    Kelty Coromel
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Never floated the Buffalo but backpacked through there a lot in the early 70's. Great memories from your pictures, I believe I used to have a shot of the old chimney from across the creek. That trip I was introduced to Granny Henderson, the last original settler in the Buffalo River Scenic River. Hiked up Hemmed in Hollow and along Big Bluff and spent many nights below the bridge at Ponca. National Geographic did a spread then, not many years after the battle over the Buffalo.

Thanks for the report.

Hammock
    hk 11' hyperD - The Silver Bullet
    Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge & old bag
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    Thanks for the pictures and the trip report. I am heading up there next week with my son, a friend and his son to canoe the lower river.

• + New Posts