Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    always changing...

Which CRL setup for your tarp???

Hello Everyone,

I'm hoping to get some feedback about which style of Continuous Ridgeline (CRL) or Full Length Ridgeline you use for your tarp and why. Even though i'm sure there are numerous iterations of each style, to simplify it i'm talking about two standard types: one that creates two V's at the end of the tarp and pulls on the tarp's ridgeline anchor points directly, and one where the ridgeline cord is pulled straight between the two trees and the tarp is attached to it via prusiks for example.

Style Number 1
    tarp 1.jpg
    Of course the specifics such as hardware can be changed out, but you get the idea. This style pulls on the tarp material and anchors.

Style Number 2
    tarp 2.jpg
    You're basically running a straight cord between the two trees, pulling it tight, and your tarp's ridgeline anchors are connected with prusiks.

I'm currently using style 1. It has the benefit of the two V's that my hammock suspension sits within. My concern is the stress it puts on the tarp's ridgeline (i'm using a cuben tarp). I'm thinking of going to style 2 to alleviate that concern, but do you still get a tight tarp ridgeline with it? And does the straight ridgeline cord get in the way of your hammock suspension.

I'm going to experiment with it, but am looking for other's experience and feedback. Why do you use one over the other? There isn't much of a weight difference between the two, and i can see pro's and con's of both. Thanks in advance.

nate.

Hammock
    Grizzbridge/RR/DIY GE/Pares
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    I've used both I stopped worrying about "the V" because I kept getting bothered with the tarp touching the ground after the first disconnect. User error?
    I now have the tarp like your number 2 setup. One end with a Dutch hook, the other with a fly (or Dutch hook on a prussic) and 2 floating prusiks. I've got cuben as well. I put a few loops of shock cord to relieve stress on the tarp in windy conditions. Setup is much faster like this. I keep my CRL in my hip belt wrap, tighten and adjust the floating prusiks all before thinking about looking for my tarp. For me personally 2nd works great. Suspension hitting tarp never bothered me.

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I do the V, never had a problem. First used carabiners and figure 9s and have now switched to Stingerz

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Suspension
    Dutch, always.
    I plan on using method 2 except using the Dutch made CRL (with a hook and a wasp) and Tato connectors.

Hammock
    DH RoamingGnome 1.6 SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I use the Derek Hansen method with a Dutch hook and a Stingerz instead of carabiners. I have a HG cuben fiber tarp.

--Peter

Hammock
    HH Exped. Asym Zip
    I do a modified #1. I liked the idea of the V but also wanted the ridgeline pulled tight for when I set up the tarp, so I added another length of cord that's just a tad shorter than the tarp. I use a bishop bag with a fixed loop connected to the tarp on one side and a loop on the other. I hang up the first V just like #1 and then instead of one prusik loop, I have two. One of them connects to the length of cord to create a tight ridgeline. I can then open up the bishop bag and pull the tarp over a tight line and use the second prusik to tension the tarp. It's a little extra work and cord, but I like the idea of having an always tight line, and being able to pull out or pack the tarp without a saggy cord.

Note: I haven't tested this overnight, but it seemed to work fine in practice.

Hammock
    Gone
    Tarp
    back
    Insulation
    to
    Suspension
    ground
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryandjane View Post
    I've used both I stopped worrying about "the V" because I kept getting bothered with the tarp touching the ground after the first disconnect. User error?
    I now have the tarp like your number 2 setup. One end with a Dutch hook, the other with a fly (or Dutch hook on a prussic) and 2 floating prusiks. I've got cuben as well. I put a few loops of shock cord to relieve stress on the tarp in windy conditions. Setup is much faster like this. I keep my CRL in my hip belt wrap, tighten and adjust the floating prusiks all before thinking about looking for my tarp. For me personally 2nd works great. Suspension hitting tarp never bothered me.
    +1 on #2, I love this method
    Last edited by Poedog; 05-19-2014 at 21:37.

Hammock
    11 ft Dutch
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 season New River
    Suspension
    Straps, Whoopies
    Images
    I use the #2 setup it works very well for me. I leave my tarp connected to it at all times and just snake skin it. I shove the extra cord into the end of the snake skin when not in use.

Banned
    Hammock
    warbonnet BB, dream hammock
    Tarp
    WB superfly, edge
    Insulation
    AHE jarbidge, UGQ
    Suspension
    woopies
    #1 for me all the way. got my first 1 from AHE then made 3 more, for back ups I guess??? (cause I only have 1 tarp)love the way it works

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    Modified #1.5 for my WB SuperFly.

-Dutch Hook spliced to one end that can go [back] to the ridgeline tie off (like #1 above), or to a floating Prusik
    -two floating Prusik/soft-shackles for the ridgeline tie offs
    -Dutch Tarp Wasp for the other end

I like that I have the option to move the tarp along the CRL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast