Total n00b with questions (look out)

So I have taken the plunge and have a Hennessy backpacker on the way. Thing is, I don’t really want to spend any more cash getting this thing ready for trips in what remains of my summer. I live in Littleton CO so I will be typically backpacking in the Rockies at relatively high elevation (>10,000ft and maybe mid to high 40’s at coldest temps). After reading a bunch on these forums, I am a bit skerd that I will be freezing my buns off unless I either make or buy some ubber expensive UQ. That being said, I am hoping that someone may be able to help me out to see if something I already own may be able to do the job. Here is what I know and don’t know about my current situation: I am a cold sleeper, so I know all about being well fed and watered before nap time. I was planning on using my 15* sleeping bag, and beyond there, I think I need help.
    Here is what I have to choose from:
    BA IAC---best mat I ever used for ground, but a bit heavy and it may not work in the hammock.
    Run of the mill Wal-Mart blue CCF pad
    Bunch of Therm-a-rest Z-rest pads
    Kifaru Woobie-I would love it if this could be used as an effective UQ w/o needing any sewing modification.
    A 40* down sleeping bag w foot zipper hole that I would not mind permanently modifying if need be

Anyone have any clues for me or do I need to buy/make something else. I understand in the long haul if that is what I will do, it is just a bummer to buy something and not be able to use it straight off.

If anyone is familiar w/ camping in my location and thinks my nighttime temp estimates, are off, please let me know.

Thanks for the help and for all the good info I have already read here.

-damon

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I just took a look at Kifaru Woobie, very nice and you could definetly use that as an uq. I would stitch on some elastic cord and small biners after trimming woobie to fit. Allow for bottom entry, if your hh is that style. I had heard that hh was changing, not sure which model you got. Both sleeping bag or woobie can be modified to work. Take a look around for uq's, pictures tell a thousand words, this site is awesome for new and different ideas. Allow for sag factor in your support of uq and leave extra to allow for venting if you get to warm. welcome to hf. I used to live in Keystone years ago. Beautiful country out there. CCF pad works, just alot of wrestling with slippery pad as entering, smear a little silicone on ccf pad and let dry. This will create sticky spots to help hold pad.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Use that CCF pad or any of the Thermarests ...... you will be well warm. UQs are a step up but focus on the basic hang for now. If you get an SPE your pad experience will be greatly enhanced and it wont break your wallet.
    Enjoy the Quest,
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Before the zipper mod, I used the Z-rest pad because it folds up and makes it easier to get to the bottom exit.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Thanks for the replys. It is nice to hear that I don't have to buy anything else to be able to enjoy the hammock. I'll let you know how things work out.
    Thanks again,
    damon

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    What you likely have to put between you & the ground to keep you warm will do just fine in the hammock. Most of us, even Pan & Smee started out using pads. Some still do, so you do not HAVE TO go to an underquilt. If you want to eventually go to a UQ, that is fine. If not, that is fine also.
    If you make wings on your pad, that will keep you a little warmer, and will be more comfortable. See Ed Spear's site for an Idea on making your own wings.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    damon,

An SPE and pads will solve your problems for most months out here; assuming you have some warm sleep wear. Personally, I'd take a look at the Warbonnet Yetis. He's selling them pretty cheap (relative word, I know) right now. I used a prototype Winter Yeti all last winter with the addition of a Gossamer Gear 1/8" pad under me feet/legs; no problems at all.

You can always come over the Cannibal's Cave near Parker and Iliff and see what happens when you go overboard on gear collecting...it ain't pretty.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts