DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowBro View Post
    Ken, I am about to change out my HH suspension for Whoopie Slings. I plan on using the bowline method to keep the length down. If I do an 8 inch bury (with stitches) at each end of the hammock instead of the bowline, then my hammock effectively becomes 8+8= 16 inches longer. If I add in the whoopie bury of about 10 inches at both end I get 10+10+16 = 36 inches longer.

The extra 16 inches makes a difference as the two test trees in my back yard are exactly 12 ft apart. My HH hammock is 9.5 feet long + 20 inch for Whoop Slings = 11.2 ft. So not a lot of wiggle room. I figure the bowline has been holding me for the last year without a problem so even though the knot weakens the rope, I'm no worse off than before.

-SlowBro
    Yes, I was thinking about that added length after I wrote the above. Also, if you're counting on the loose hanging end of the adjustable bury for a dripline, it may be pushed out from under the tarp by the added length. I'll stick with the bowline method...
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

"You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Ken, I am about to change out my HH suspension for Whoopie Slings. I plan on using the bowline method to keep the length down. If I do an 8 inch bury (with stitches) at each end of the hammock instead of the bowline, then my hammock effectively becomes 8+8= 16 inches longer. If I add in the whoopie bury of about 10 inches at both end I get 10+10+16 = 36 inches longer.

The extra 16 inches makes a difference as the two test trees in my back yard are exactly 12 ft apart. My HH hammock is 9.5 feet long + 20 inch for Whoop Slings = 11.2 ft. So not a lot of wiggle room. I figure the bowline has been holding me for the last year without a problem so even though the knot weakens the rope, I'm no worse off than before.

-SlowBro
    SloBro - one thing I have done is shorten the buries when a problem such as this pops up.

I think it was nacr533 that pointed out that the recommended buries in the splicing guides are designed for critical loads and loads approaching the rope rating limits.

With the hammock suspension, for most of the ropes I see being used, the loads are not close to the limits of the ropes. Thus, I decided that for me shortening the buries wasn't going to be a safety factor.

In places where the length of the buries was preventing me from using the splices and having to revert to a knot, I simply used 2 fid lengths where 3 fid lengths was recommended in the splicing guide. I don't know if the strength of the splice is linearly related to the length of the bury or exponentially like Frawg thinks may be the case. I strongly suspect that Frawg is right. Either way, I am still better than using a knot.

Doing this has let me use buried eye splices where previously I needed a knot and to date I haven't detected any problems.

One other point, with the recommendations in the guides I have seen, the finished Whoopie bury length for 1/8" diameter rope will be 8.25", the same as for the buried eye splice. So if your's are ending up 10", you can safely shorten the buries
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I love the technique of finishing a loose end with a bury..........
    I love the end bury for finishing a rope. Besides looking really great and professional, I can easily finish off the end of a cut rope in the field now using my splicing needle. Before, it was time consuming with whipping thread or just looked cruddy by melting the ends. With vectran, melting the ends wasn't an option even. Now I can quickly and nicely bury the end on vectran and get a great looking and functional terminus for the rope. Plus if I'm careful in pulling the end bury, it is super easy to pull out when needed.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    ...I don't know if the strength of the splice is linearly related to the length of the bury or exponentially like Frawg thinks may be the case. I strongly suspect that Frawg is right.
    So's y'all can rest easy, it's not just my opinion*...

It's equation 9.4 in this lecture on "Rope Friction". Technically, it's the ratio of forces at each end of the bury (for a UCR, not a whoopie sling) that's exponential in the length of the bury. For a whoopie sling it's a bit different, but essentially exponential. (actually a displaced hyperbolic cosine, which is exponential in the limit.)

FWIW, I often cheat on bury lengths for exactly the reasons TeeDee cites.

* late note: Here's a nice write-up titled "The Mechanics of Friction in Rope Rescue". It's a bit easier to read.
    Last edited by Frawg; 07-26-2009 at 19:58.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    ...One other point, with the recommendations in the guides I have seen, the finished Whoopie bury length for 1/8" diameter rope will be 8.25", the same as for the buried eye splice. So if your's are ending up 10", you can safely shorten the buries
    You are right, I just measured and my finished Whoopie bury length is actually 8.5". I keep forgetting that the bury shortens the rope a little.

As to using a shorter bury for the loop tied to the hammock, I have have no problem with that, I would assume, as you do, that there would be sufficient holding power with 2 fids. Still that would be about 5.5" per end or about 11" longer than a knot. If it weren't for the two trees in my back yard I would probably go with an eye splice. Unfortunately the folks that planted them 70 years ago didn't know what I needed. Pretty thoughtless, if you ask me
    Last edited by SlowBro; 07-26-2009 at 17:33.
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    At the risk of seeming inconsistent, I actually do incorporate a whoopie sling in my UCR suspension.

The grey UCR to the tree goes off to the left; the blue part is a mini whoopie. When trees are too close together for the UCR, I can use the mini whoopie alone.

Side note -- the toggle is always under the tarp, so that blue eye will work as a last line of drip defense.

The picture is notional, though, so don't hold me to the dimensions you see there.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frawg View Post
    At the risk of seeming inconsistent, I actually do incorporate a whoopie sling in my UCR suspension.

The grey UCR to the tree goes off to the left; the blue part is a mini whoopie. When trees are too close together for the UCR, I can use the mini whoopie alone.

Side note -- the toggle is always under the tarp, so that blue eye will work as a last line of drip defense.

The picture is notional, though, so don't hold me to the dimensions you see there.
    Frawg,

Quick question: is that white(grey) loop on the right an endless loop? i.e. one end just buried into the other?
    Last edited by SlowBro; 07-26-2009 at 17:33.
    -SlowBro

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Frawg,

Quick question: is that white(grey) loop on the right an endless loop? i.e. one end just buried into the other?
    Yes, it's an endless loop, but each end is buried into the other -- I basically followed Samson's instructions for the 12 strand class 2 end for end splice.
    Last edited by Frawg; 07-26-2009 at 19:23. Reason: clarification
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Yes, it's an endless loop, but each end is buried into the other -- I basically followed Samson's instructions for the 12 strand class 2 end for end splice.
    dang, this splicing business just gets cooler and cooler. It's a pain with 3 ply twisted rope, ask me how I know, but dead easy with this single 12 strand braid.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Ok, I agree with Grizz- That is Cool
    -SlowBro

• + New Posts
  • Page 18 of 106 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast