DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    That's as good an excuse as any!

Glad you got it figured out. They are easy to pull apart and re-do.
    Very forgiving.

Ken
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

"You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    HA ... wouldn't have been if I'd try to hang on them! Just rigged them up in the back yard and said to myself ... "self ... this don't look right" ... Ha!

Should have looked a little closer to what I did!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    You know ... might ought to wear reading glasses ... once you mentioned being tied backards ... it was obivous what I did. Kinda looks stupid in hindsight. Oh well nothing like a Friday night mystery!

Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    You should be able to get down to less than 18" per side easily. I think mine are closer to 12". I'm not sure I'm understanding your question though Michael.
    Mine are at 18 but that is measured from the end of the loop to the opposite end of the whoopie. Should be a few inches shorter once it it attached to the hammock. If I were to make them again I am sure I could shorten the min length at least 2-3 inches.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by otter46544 View Post
    Mine are at 18 but that is measured from the end of the loop to the opposite end of the whoopie. Should be a few inches shorter once it it attached to the hammock. If I were to make them again I am sure I could shorten the min length at least 2-3 inches.
    Well don't do like I did tonight and in your rush to rig up and try your hammock tie the darn thing in backwards!

Always do something dumb when I try to rush ...

Hammock
    10.5' DIY
    Tarp
    11x13 DIY Sil
    Insulation
    IX UQ, Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Dutch/Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TAlexander View Post
    Only 25'? I got enough to do a set for my wife's and my hammocks. I wish I would have gotten more. Whoopieslings are fun to build and I am finding I could use more super-strong small diameter cord for just about everything.

Tony
    Well the 7/64 comes in 25' increments from AHE, so I figured I'd just get that amount to mess around with and see how i like it.

Would you folks recommend just tying a loop in the hammock end or splicing in a fixed loop? I imagine it's mostly just aesthetics, but figured i'd ask.

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Hawk-eye I did put second one together backwards but I caught it right away and fixed it. Once you have done the bury it is super easy to pull it apart and do it again as long as you have not pulled the rope tight again. Actually I wound up pulling both of mine apart because I forgot to put a bead in. I highly recommend a bead to prevent pulling the loop out.

MondayHopscotch just make it a fixed loop. From what I understand these ropes do not hold knots well. Fixed loop is really easy to make. Sampson has 2 great pdf files on making a fixed loop and on the whoopie sling itself. PM me and I will happily email them to you if you like. Everyone was recommending to me to make 12 slings so that 25' of rope you have would only be good for 1 sling. If you cut it in half you would have 2 slings of about 5' 5" each. Good luck on your project it really is easy.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Hawk-eye I did put second one together backwards but I caught it right away and fixed it. Once you have done the bury it is super easy to pull it apart and do it again as long as you have not pulled the rope tight again. Actually I wound up pulling both of mine apart because I forgot to put a bead in. I highly recommend a bead to prevent pulling the loop out.

MondayHopscotch just make it a fixed loop. From what I understand these ropes do not hold knots well. Fixed loop is really easy to make. Sampson has 2 great pdf files on making a fixed loop and on the whoopie sling itself. PM me and I will happily email them to you if you like. Everyone was recommending to me to make 12 slings so that 25' of rope you have would only be good for 1 sling. If you cut it in half you would have 2 slings of about 5' 5" each. Good luck on your project it really is easy.
    Thanks pal ... but all my issues were a matter of me having a brain fart last night ... Ken actually showed me all this a few months ago. And to add insult to injury ... I've made two sets already!

No all that above is a matter of me ordering a set from Paul and in the dusky evening out back of the house and me confusing myself about the loop Paul puts in his pull line ... I just tied it backwards. I saw it was REALLY too long when pulled as short as it could be ... I thought maybe Paul had some new design ... ha.

Just a brain fart on my part. When Ken posted the single comment about being backward I looked down on my lap at the tie in and there it was ... big dumb brain fart.

I love this Amsteel stuff ... but boy you're right it won't hold a knot worth a hoot!

Thanks for your offer of assistance though ...

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MondayHopscotch View Post
    Well the 7/64 comes in 25' increments from AHE, so I figured I'd just get that amount to mess around with and see how i like it.

Would you folks recommend just tying a loop in the hammock end or splicing in a fixed loop? I imagine it's mostly just aesthetics, but figured i'd ask.
    Splice a fixed loop. It looks much better and won't untie like a knot might in slippery Amsteel.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    10.5' DIY
    Tarp
    11x13 DIY Sil
    Insulation
    IX UQ, Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Dutch/Whoopie
    Images

The reason I went with one order of 25' of rope is because in the tutorial (first post in this thread), SlowBro starts with 12 feet of amsteel, so I figured 12 and a half feet would work just fine.

If I do just make the ~5' 5" slings, that still allows for me to hang in gaps that are probably more than 20' being as i'll have 10' feet of sling, my hammock (which how it's set up in my room, the ends are about 10' apart), as well as the length of my webbing coming out from the tree.

So I may not have quite as much flexibility as a 12' sling, but it seems to me they should still work pretty well.

But if I'm just being ignorant, please call me out on it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 48 of 106 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast