Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MondayHopscotch View Post
    The reason I went with one order of 25' of rope is because in the tutorial (first post in this thread), SlowBro starts with 12 feet of amsteel, so I figured 12 and a half feet would work just fine.

If I do just make the ~5' 5" slings, that still allows for me to hang in gaps that are probably more than 20' being as i'll have 10' feet of sling, my hammock (which how it's set up in my room, the ends are about 10' apart), as well as the length of my webbing coming out from the tree.

So I may not have quite as much flexibility as a 12' sling, but it seems to me they should still work pretty well.

But if I'm just being ignorant, please call me out on it.
    You'll be fine. Some of us, me foremost, have a tendency to carry longer suspension cords than is ever really needed absolutely.

Yes, it is possible there are trees you'd like to use but can't. You just don't use them, there are others. Almost always there are others...
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    10.5' DIY
    Tarp
    11x13 DIY Sil
    Insulation
    IX UQ, Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Dutch/Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    You'll be fine. Some of us, me foremost, have a tendency to carry longer suspension cords than is ever really needed absolutely.

Yes, it is possible there are trees you'd like to use but can't. You just don't use them, there are others. Almost always there are others...
    Well then for the sake of not spending any more money then I already have (I find it so easy to spend 'too much' - whatever that means - money on new hobbies I pick up), which is easily over 200 dollars in just a couple weeks... and I havent even been camping in my hammock yet , I'll just stick with making 2 slings out of 25' of rope.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Well then for the sake of not spending any more money then I already have (I find it so easy to spend 'too much' - whatever that means - money on new hobbies I pick up), which is easily over 200 dollars in just a couple weeks... and I havent even been camping in my hammock yet , I'll just stick with making 2 slings out of 25' of rope.
    That amount of line will net you almost 2 6' slings. Figure in a couple feet for your hugges, and the average length of a hammock and you've got over 20' to play with.

Hammock
    10.5' DIY
    Tarp
    11x13 DIY Sil
    Insulation
    IX UQ, Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Dutch/Whoopie
    Images
    So after reading around in other threads -- should I do a locking brummel, or an eye slice? Which one is easier? From as far as I read into it, it seems like nobody has had problems with the claimed 40% strength loss, so it just comes down to ease.

Edit:

Just read further and saw Knotty's post that said failure occurred at the exit of the adjustable end.
    Last edited by MondayHopscotch; 03-07-2010 at 00:20.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    So after reading around in other threads -- should I do a locking brummel, or an eye slice? Which one is easier? From as far as I read into it, it seems like nobody has had problems with the claimed 40% strength loss, so it just comes down to ease.
    In my experience, if the standing end is free to be pulled through a hole made in the end-to-be-buried, then the locking brummel is clearly easier.

YMMV. (not sure why it would though.... )
    Grizz

Hammock
    10.5' DIY
    Tarp
    11x13 DIY Sil
    Insulation
    IX UQ, Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Dutch/Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    In my experience, if the standing end is free to be pulled through a hole made in the end-to-be-buried, then the locking brummel is clearly easier.

YMMV. (not sure why it would though.... )
    It might be because I'm tired. But I can't figure out what on earth you just said. haha.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    It might be because I'm tired. But I can't figure out what on earth you just said. haha.
    ok, now we are all wide awake with the day's first caffine delivery vehicle by our side....

Imagine the cord you're going to eye splice. There is a short end that will be buried to form a loop. That's the working end. There's the long end into which the short end will be buried. That's the standing end.

In the locking brummel you start by opening a hole in the standing end and pull the working end completely through. Then in the working end you open a hole and pass the standing end completely through. Then you tighten things up and those two passages jam up together at the base of what will become your loop. Finally you bury the working end into the standing end (it has been tapered first, of course).

Now imagine that the standing end is NOT free to be pulled through the hole in the working end. Example : I've made suspension triangles for bridge hammocks that are one piece of cord, eye-spliced at each corner, with a ring hitched in the middle. I can attach the cord to the first corner using a locking brummel. But when I attach to the second corner, the "standing end" has a hammock attached to it. Just a mite difficult to pull through that little opening made in the working end when doing the locked brummel routine.
    Grizz

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I think's it's pretty common to make slings that start with 12' of line, you should be good.

You can always make longer ones in the future.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Yea what you have will be fine. Mine are way overkill but it is cool to have mega long slings. I used mine for the first time last night. Seems odd to put my heft into a hammock held in place by 7/64 rope. I emailed you the pdf on making an eye splice. Good luck on your project.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    The reason I went with one order of 25' of rope is because in the tutorial (first post in this thread), SlowBro starts with 12 feet of amsteel, so I figured 12 and a half feet would work just fine.

If I do just make the ~5' 5" slings, that still allows for me to hang in gaps that are probably more than 20' being as i'll have 10' feet of sling, my hammock (which how it's set up in my room, the ends are about 10' apart), as well as the length of my webbing coming out from the tree.

So I may not have quite as much flexibility as a 12' sling, but it seems to me they should still work pretty well.

But if I'm just being ignorant, please call me out on it.

I used 12' in the tutorial because I've rarely ever had to span more than 20 feet which is roughly what your two whoopies and hammock will give you. Once or twice I have extended the length by making my marlin spike hitch in my webbing huggers further from the tree. Usually I put the hitch/toggle in right against the tree, but I usually have a couple of feet of extra webbing hanging down after I have wrapped the tree. So depending on the girth of the tree I can extend the distance between trees 4-5 more feet by just throwing the hitch in further down the webbing.

Along with everyone else, I think you'll be fine.
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

• + New Posts
  • Page 49 of 106 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast