Page 65 of 106 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil-Nylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie DIY
    Hey guys this is HCH's girlfriend. I just got done making my first whoopie sling, and I was kinda confused on how long to cut the Amsteel blue. How long should the entire product be?? Also I need to start on the suspension ridgeline, if anyone has any input on how long that should be the advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I usually make my whoopies out of 14' long amsteel. For the ridgeline it all depends on the length of the hammock. I suggest you make it plenty long and then you can shorten it until you find it comfortable. Or you can make the ridgeline a whoopie and adjust it how you like.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HCH View Post
    Hey guys this is HCH's girlfriend. I just got done making my first whoopie sling, and I was kinda confused on how long to cut the Amsteel blue. How long should the entire product be?? Also I need to start on the suspension ridgeline, if anyone has any input on how long that should be the advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
    If you want a 6' sling, start with 13' of cord. 8' sling, 17' of cord. basically you double your intended finshed length +1'. The extra foot is for the buries, eye etc.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil-Nylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie DIY
    Thank you!

why?

I can see the advantages of using whoopie slings, I use one most days at work but I have a suspension rope already, why cut it and replace with dynema etc? If you are intent on using a marlin spike you can but instead of using a whoopie use your existing suspension rope and simply tie a blakes hitch. This will do the same job http://www.animatedknots.com/blakes/index.php

Thoughts please.

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings

To me, the description of the holding power of the Blakes Hitch doesn't sound as secure as the holding power of the whoopiesling.

...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Quote Originally Posted by mtncmpr View Post

To me, the description of the holding power of the Blakes Hitch doesn't sound as secure as the holding power of the whoopiesling.

If a blakes hitch is tied dressed and set correctly it is fine for a hammock suspension. My original point was why cut and modify if you don;t have to? A blakes or any other friction hitch will do what you want saving time weight and money buying new gear.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    If a blakes hitch is tied dressed and set correctly it is fine for a hammock suspension. My original point was why cut and modify if you don;t have to? A blakes or any other friction hitch will do what you want saving time weight and money buying new gear.
    I think you will find that friction hitches will work for an occupied hammock only if you use appropriately sized ropes. Namely, if you are using 1/8" or 7/64" rope for the friction hitch, then you will need 1/4" rope for the suspension.

Friction hitches have been tried by many on the forums. I haven't yet read of anybody being successful with equal sized rope for both the suspension and the friction hitch.

Of course this assumes that you are occupying the hammock with an adult, say 180 lbs or greater. If the occupant is a child of less than 100 lbs, you may be successful.

The necessity for a large rope for the suspension is the reason nobody uses friction hitches in their suspension and why the splices, both the whoopie and the UCR are so popular. They work and do so on the smallest rope. Also, the derate the rope much less than knots.

Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    I think you will find that friction hitches will work for an occupied hammock only if you use appropriately sized ropes. Namely, if you are using 1/8" or 7/64" rope for the friction hitch, then you will need 1/4" rope for the suspension.

Friction hitches have been tried by many on the forums. I haven't yet read of anybody being successful with equal sized rope for both the suspension and the friction hitch.

Of course this assumes that you are occupying the hammock with an adult, say 180 lbs or greater. If the occupant is a child of less than 100 lbs, you may be successful.

The necessity for a large rope for the suspension is the reason nobody uses friction hitches in their suspension and why the splices, both the whoopie and the UCR are so popular. They work and do so on the smallest rope. Also, the derate the rope much less than knots.
    I have used the blakes hitch on my hennessey with no problems using the original cord, Knots are weaker than a splice in strength but you are not tying a knot you are tying a friction hitch, friction is what supports your weight.

There are many others hitches to try.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    The point of replacing existing line with HDPE is its lighter weight for a given strength, which is a significant factor for several here.

Past threads have documented various attempts to suspend a hammock with friction hitches on HDPE line. If you can make a friction hitch, of whatever kind, work on HDPE I'm sure several of us would welcome enlightenment.

A report with pics would be nice.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

• + New Posts
  • Page 65 of 106 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast