Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Okay, that's the number I was looking for in order to get a handle on comparing the raw material requirements of the 2 methods. Thanks.
    Cool!

I'm not really a SUL or even a UL adherent, but I do like the nice side benefits.

I made up an SLS replacing the ridge line there with a Lash-It! Whoopie Sling and that dropped the weight to 1.20 oz and the total to 3.2 oz. But then I lose the convenience of the Whoopie Sling adjust-ability. I'll keep the 1.4 oz and the super simplicity of the Whoopie sling.
    I hear ya! Some might accuse us of getting dangerously close to counting angels on the head of a pin...
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Fig View Post
    Holy cow. Now I have to go back and reread this all again. Thanks for clearing up my confusion. I am still somewhat confused, but will like I said, reread and see if I can make sense of the UCR.

EDIT: I think I might have found my confusion. I was looking at the pictures SlowBro posted and on page 1, and he has what looks like a loop. I think I have it now. A Whoopie sling is one piece of rope with one end buried in the other and a loop. A UCR is two pieces of rope with one being just as long as needed to tie one end off, and bury the other piece of rope in, with the other being whatever length you want to be able to adjust. Did I get that right?
    I think you got it. I posted some quick pics of my setup in the UCR thread:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...551#post131551
    "Every minute outside ... is a good minute!" -> Calvin & Hobbes, 8/1/1993

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joe8484 View Post
    could someone please post a picture of the whoopie in action? please
    Joe, here's the one I did along the way:

The ridge line is also a whoopie sling. The adjacent pictures in my gallery show a little more detail if you need it.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Frawg - I think I finally understand the reason for the rolling hitch: you use it to exert a force on the end of the constrictor that isn't naturally loaded.

This prevents the failure mode that we discovered.

Very Good.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    TeeDee--
    seems like you're saying that the ridgeline is now one whoopie sling, so something on the order of 22' of LashIt...If so, it seems to me that you don't need the full dynamic range of adjustable length for a ridgeline. Pick a number, say 8', you won't ever use a ridgeline shorter than that. So you could whoopie it up separately at both ends, giving you maybe 18" of adjustability at each end? I'm going to try that anyway...

Grizz (who, yes, has been whoopie-ing it up, but has yet to hang a hammock with it.)
    You got it.

My Whoopie Sling Ridge line is adjustable from 114" to 120", so only the last 6" of the ridge line length is doubled. The gap between the adjustable bury and the fixed eye bury is the remaining 114".

That gives me a Whoopie Sling that uses 120" + 6" + what is needed for the buries and the "handle" for the sling and the terminating bury. Say about 12'

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Frawg - I think I finally understand the reason for the rolling hitch: you use it to exert a force on the end of the constrictor that isn't naturally loaded.
    Precisely.

This prevents the failure mode that we discovered.

Very Good.
    Thank you!

...and thank you for sticking with this as you have. I've learned a tremendous amount here, thanks to you, and your work is what put me on this path to begin with!
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    TeeDee--
    seems like you're saying that the ridgeline is now one whoopie sling, so something on the order of 22' of LashIt...If so, it seems to me that you don't need the full dynamic range of adjustable length for a ridgeline. Pick a number, say 8', you won't ever use a ridgeline shorter than that. So you could whoopie it up separately at both ends, giving you maybe 18" of adjustability at each end? I'm going to try that anyway...

Grizz (who, yes, has been whoopie-ing it up, but has yet to hang a hammock with it.)
    Ahhh - I didn't read your full post before answering. I tried the double adjustable loop on each end the first time and abandoned that method for a regular Whoopie sliong as I described in my first response.

The double adjustable loop didn't really accomplish anything for me. I could adjust both ends or just one end. Adjusting both ends didn't really change anything that adjusting one end didn't.

So I dis-assembled the double adjustable loop method and now use the single adjustable loop regular Whoopie sling as much simpler to use.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frawg View Post
    Precisely.

Thank you!

...and thank you for sticking with this as you have. I've learned a tremendous amount here, thanks to you, and your work is what put me on this path to begin with!
    I'd describe it as 3 of of us bouncing off one another till each of us got to the end that was best for each.

Nice to have a forum like this to do that.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hike4WD View Post
    Wow ... I made my first miniature whoopie sling! The wife thinks I'm nuts! (though probably not because of the whoopie sling ) I only used a couple feet of 1/8" Amsteel blue. The instructions made it easy to follow. Took maybe 15 min. Thanks SlowBro!
    I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has made a full length version of this in Amsteel and used it on there hammock. I have found that when I have my Amsteel pull tight that it is slippery. I would be afraid that it would not tighten and hold.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has made a full length version of this in Amsteel and used it on there hammock. I have found that when I have my Amsteel pull tight that it is slippery. I would be afraid that it would not tighten and hold.
    Hi Attroll. I converted my Hennessy to whoopie slings with 7/64 amsteel several days ago. I've been in it for a couple of 1 hour or so tests, and over 3 hours once during a rain shower. I've had no slippage whatsoever. I do think remembering to "milk" the buried area down after adjustments is important though. You might experience minor slippage if you don't do that.

The ONLY difficulty I've had is making minor adjustments after loading the hammock with sleeping gear. I think that is due to the fact that my cord is new, and the waxy blue surface makes gripping and pulling it a little difficult with some weight in the hammock. I believe this will become easier with some use.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken; 07-10-2009 at 09:29.
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

"You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 106 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast