Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Birkin View Post
    I recently purchased Amsteel Blue for my whoopie sling suspension on my SBpro, and everything went smoothly with the splicing. After reading the Rope Tree Huggers thread, AngrySparrow mentioned his bowline knot slipped out under load with the Amsteel Blue.

I used a bowline knot to form a lark's head to the end of my hammock, should I be worried? Eye splice for the lark's head to hold better?
    There are 2 ways to finish a bowline. Ashley states that one way is secure and the other way isn't as secure which I interpret to mean it can slip.

Following the rabbit and the rabbit hole mnemonic, the rabbit come up out of the rabbit hole and around the tree and then back down the rabbit hole. Now there are 2 ways to go around the tree before going back down the rabbit hole.

One way around the tree will end with the rope down the middle of the loop as shown here:

The otrher way around the tree will end with the rope outside of the loop as shown here:

Ashley states that the first way around the tree is the more secure.

Just to confuse you , one of the European Navies, the Dutch if I remember correctly, hold the opposite view.

I have always tried to follow Ashley's recommendation. Sometimes I get sloppy and don't pay any attention and sometimes when I do that, the bowline has slipped on me. Since I wasn't paying any attention, I don't know which way I went around the tree when it slipped.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    FWIW, you can see that a bowline is essentially a sheet bend. TeeDee's top picture corresponds to the allegedly safe way to tie the sheet bend, i.e., both 'tails' on the same side.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 9
    Insulation
    Pad/Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Yeah, my bowline knot tail goes through the middle of the loop like your first pic, the suggested more secure connection. Another knot at the end of the tail to prevent slippage isn't a bad idea either though, especially since it's hidden in the channeled end of the hammock anyways.

Thanks for the illustrations TeeDee!

Sorry for the Messy Desk
    Last edited by Custom Splice; 07-30-2009 at 14:57. Reason: Sorry for the messy desk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Custom Splice View Post

Sorry for the Messy Desk
    The "pull" (and the desk) look just like mine! But I don't see the coffee rings.

It works perfectly for the small diameters.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    my keyboard has crumbs on it rather than a pull fid <grin>

Grizz

Hammock
    HH ULEA w/2QZQ
    Tarp
    OES 12X10 SpinnUL
    Insulation
    DIY momen/PL TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Hi all, I have a question. I have a Hennessey, is it possible to pass my suspension cord through a hollow braid that is tied directly to the tree hugger (then tie a stopper knot in the Hennessey cord)? Otherwise, the original suspension would remain in-tack. The only added pieces would be the length of rope to make the whoopy connection, and carabiner or dowel.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    hi there FtW, been a while since I've seen you poke your head up here. Hope the Oregon thing is working out for you and yours.

Grizz
    Grizz, thank you very much for the kind words. I've been in lurker mode for quite some time simply because I had nothing useful to add, but I check the forums daily. Once I get back into quilt making, I'm sure you'll hear more from me

Based on the suggestions I received, I took another look at the unwoven section. Here is the photo again.

The top right strand heads off to the Hennessy Hammock and is tied to the hammock body the same way the original suspension rope was tied. The bottom right strand is the free end that is pulled to tighten the loop. The bury is to the left, eventually leading to the adjustable loop.

What I realized is that the section of the bury just to the left of the junction is very tightly scrunched down. Basically, when I tried to tighten the suspension to compensate for the sag in my hammock stand, I pulled the free end hard, and somewhat perpendicular to the main rope. This pushed the woven section forward (to the left) and compressed the weaving, allowing the section behind the junction to flop free.

I worked the bury section with my fingers to loosen it and then milked the weaving back to the right and managed to re-weave the loose section. It isn't perfect, but does look better and it is important to look good in a hammock, don't you agree?

Thanks again.

FreeTheWeasel

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by strung2tite View Post
    Hi all, I have a question. I have a Hennessey, is it possible to pass my suspension cord through a hollow braid that is tied directly to the tree hugger (then tie a stopper knot in the Hennessey cord)? Otherwise, the original suspension would remain in-tack. The only added pieces would be the length of rope to make the whoopy connection, and carabiner or dowel.
    From a "constriction cord on bury cord " point of view this is equivalent to a UCR, which is a little different from a whoopie sling in that the constrictor and bury cords are different. Frawg is one of the local experts on the UCR, and suggests that on the other end of the UCR (the one away from the the webbing) you put a loop, and hang a little weight there. I've played with the UCR a little, and find it workable but a little more finicky than a whoopie sling. Definitely workable though, particularly to do something like you suggest.

What you'll need is constrictor cord appropriate to the size of the HH cord, and a carabiner, because if the UCR is tied to the webbing then you have a hard-fastened piece of cord from hammock to UCR and you still have to get it around the tree.

All the experience reported with these things on HF are using single weave cord as the bury. I would think that the HH cords I've seen would be grabbed when buried, but that's only intuition uninformed by experience!

good luck, let us know how it goes.

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 24 of 106 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast