Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 9
    Insulation
    Pad/Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    6 foot straps plus marlin spike hitch for me.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Grizz - I can see that you are very used to answering student's questions.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    this is a light suspension, but (please forgive my pedantry, but I go all analytic when dealing with absolutes) "the lightest suspension system there is" involves a rope that is just exactly the right length to go from hammock, around the tree, and have just enough left to tie it. Ignoring for the moment the way the suspension cord attaches to the tree, the "excess beyond minimal" in a whoopie sling is the doubling of the rope back in the loop, plus some bury lengths that use more cord for a given range of span.

My suspicion is that the lightest suspension system sold commercially is the cord + tree hugger option with the Blackbird. There the "excess beyond minimal" is a small light (0.2 oz on mine) tri-ring to which the suspension cord is tied with a slipped buntline hitch.

Assuming your question is really "This is a really light suspension, right?" the answer is yes. I like it quite a lot for that reason and the easy adjustability; I have converted three of my hammocks to use it.

The rope at the hammock would only abraid it if there is movement. With a lark's head where the cord goes through twice and is cinched down, there's not movement.

Grizz
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Twelve foot hugger ( left over from my days in Oregon ) and marlin spike with a toogle.
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowBro View Post
    Twelve foot hugger ( left over from my days in Oregon ) and marlin spike with a toogle.
    I know what you mean! I've spent more time than I should with my stock Hennessy hugger in one hand while I use the other hand to scratch my head as I stare at the ginormous tree in front of me. The little cartoon bubble over my head says, "How the heck . . ."

I've tried the flick-it-around-the-tree-and-catch-it approach I've tried the hang- one-end-on-a-piece-of-bark-and-walk-it-around approach. Both usually fail when I realize that the ends have no chance of meeting each other in the front and I have to go look for a normal Midwest or East Coast sized tree. I'm usually able to find them but they do like to hide. Craftly little devils.

FreeTheWeasel

Hammock
    HH ULEA w/2QZQ
    Tarp
    OES 12X10 SpinnUL
    Insulation
    DIY momen/PL TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie

UCR to Hennessey cord?

In order to keep my stock cord setup and not having to double the length of my cord, I decided I will go ahead and experiment with the UCR to stock Hennessey cord. Which cords would be recomended for me to try first. anything in Dyneema. I would like as stong as possible. Thanks....

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    SloBro, thanks for the picture & text tutorial! Been lugging around couple CampNano carabiners for multiple uses. So this compression system would be a net weight gain of a few extra feet of AmSteelBlue over the line & knot (slipped buntline or HH figure 8) that I've reverted back to. After 3 consecutive nights hung and slept in at the same spot noticed a bit of probably permanent flattening of the WBBB AmsteelBlue 3mm line.
    Wondering what the long term durability of the compression system will be. Suspecting to be an improvement over knotting the rope repeatedly. The Sampson website in their download on making a Whoppie Sling noted that "have a break strength of 60% of the published average break strength". 3mm (1/8") has a published break strength of 2500#. 1500 pound break strength should cover the majority of us.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoo-Pie Slings
    Images

Quick post of my setup

Ok I went with a combo setup used the Whoopie sling with toggles I made from Aluminum Slurpee straws I found in 7/11.

Remainder of the Slurpee straw from 7/11. Used Two different colors. Straw is 10.5" long used two Toggles from each at 2.5", which gives me 5.5" left over from each to make a few to carry as back ups if they get lost. So one Straw at .99$ will make you four Toggles 2.5" long.

Hung Hammock You can see the Slupree Straw Toggles in use here.

Here you can see how I made a cinch loop by burying the weighted end inside of the free end causing the cord to cinch up on the toggle. Sortta reverse of a Whoopie Sling. This also adds in not loosing the toggle, its on there very well wont slip out unless you try. "Frawg" used this and I stole it. .

Here is the Hammock end and the adjustable end of the Whoopie Sling attached to the toggle. I was concerned about it slipping off the toggle due to its short length while adjusting and was considering just sticking with a beiner but no issues yet during testing and use.

Last edited by RTR; 08-03-2009 at 00:04.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Do you know how much the AL straw and/or cut toggle weighs?

Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    Ok I went with a combo setup used the Whoopie sling with toggles I made from Aluminum Slurpee straws I found in 7/11.

Remainder of the Slurpee straw from 7/11

Hung Hammock You can see the Slupree Straw Toggles in use here.

Here you can see how I made a cinch loop by burying the weighted end inside of the free end causing the cord to cinch up on the toggle. Sortta reverse of a Whoopie Sling. This also adds in not loosing the toggle, its on there very well wont slip out unless you try. "Frawg" used this and I stole it. .

Here is the Hammock end and the adjustable end of the Whoopie Sling attached to the toggle. I was concerned about it slipping off the toggle due to its short length while adjusting and was considering just sticking with a biener but no issues yet during testing and use.

Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoo-Pie Slings
    Images
    No I do not as I have no scale at home to weigh them. I am going to bring them in to work tomorrow and use the mail scale there. Get some good looks from the folks in the office when I do that stuff.. Kinda funny.

OK Just weighed them

Full suspension = 6.6 oz
    Includes= 2 6' Tree Huggers=4 oz
    2 12' Whoopie Slings with all four Toggles=2.6 oz (Not sure so I used original length of cord that made the Whoopie Sling for this measurement)

Individual Weights:
    12' Whoopie Sling= 1.1 oz
    2.5" Toggle= .1 oz
    6' Clark Tree Straps= 2 oz (Heaviest single piece of gear in my suspension. Any suggestions to get maybe half this weight for a 6' Tree Hugger?)

"TeeDee" or anyone for that matter, lemme know if you have any other questions.

Oh yea and I almost forgot to tell ya this, went in to do my usual weighing on the scale and it was gone. Figured someone was gonna steal it sooner or later. So when I went to the receptionist to ask if maybe it was moved she said she has it now. When I asked her to use it she wondered why, and then she was all excited and wanted to know the weights. Now I have her into it. She thinks its cool. Heck yea it is!!!!
    Last edited by RTR; 08-03-2009 at 11:31.

• + New Posts
  • Page 27 of 106 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast