Page 88 of 106 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    diy gathered end
    Tarp
    hennessy hex
    Suspension
    whop. sling
    I just put whoopie slings on now I hear about ucrs. Is there a benefit of one over the other
    Did not read all 88 pages so if t is explained direct me to proper page

Thanks
    Last edited by bookmn0926; 05-12-2013 at 23:07.

Hammock
    Jacks R Better BMBH
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    TriGlide and strap
    Finally got a good splicing tool going and have been working on my whoopies. Did a quick continuous loop to do a little test, I thought I had made a bit of a mistake with the 1/8 amsteel, but then during my test I realized that taper will be very important. Now for a glass of wine and some more splicing. Love this stuff!!!

Hammock
    The Susurro Canyon (DIY)
    Tarp
    1.1oz SilPolyD Hex
    Insulation
    FoyleUQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    What is the lifespan of 7/64th amsteel blue whoopie sling?

I guess the obvious answer is....just before they snap, but I'd like to avoid that.

Mine really aren't what I'd consider old and over-used, but right at the bury the weave seems to look a little suspicious.
    Leonard Outdoors Youtube.com/drleonar

Images
    Been trying to get this to work with 7/64th AmSteel for the past hour and cannot jerry rig it with the supplies I have, ugh! 'Bout to bust out the credit card, but that doesn't help for my hammock camping tomorrow. :/

Hammock
    Jacks R Better BMBH
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    TriGlide and strap
    Quote Originally Posted by bccarlso View Post
    Been trying to get this to work with 7/64th AmSteel for the past hour and cannot jerry rig it with the supplies I have, ugh! 'Bout to bust out the credit card, but that doesn't help for my hammock camping tomorrow. :/
    A guitar string, some tapering (if needed) and patience. If I can do it, I'm sure anyone can.

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by bccarlso View Post
    this thread has grown, exponentially, and it may be hard to find bits n pieces that you need, to make your journey easier & more fun

here, again, are a couple links that may ease your frustration(they did for me), once the process is mastered, you will treat it as recreation, rather than being adversarial:

12min± of the process(by the manufacturer) using larger material allows you to view easier

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...teel_blue_7_64

14 min±(by one of us) using 7/64, actually making WHOOPIE SLING

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=70189

floral wire, brass wire, piano wire, metal guitar string, weed eater string, welding wire... have all been listed as material that works for this process

hope you find the switch that turns your light on

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Images
    Thanks guys, will be giving this another try today if I can get some more materials or next week.

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c0wb0y_hubs View Post
    What is the lifespan of 7/64th amsteel blue whoopie sling?

I guess the obvious answer is....just before they snap, but I'd like to avoid that.

Mine really aren't what I'd consider old and over-used, but right at the bury the weave seems to look a little suspicious.
    I was wondering this myself. I have 4 sets of WS, and to some degree all of them have come unwound a bit near the adj loop bury entry & exit points - undoubtedly from repeated folding and wadding up.

I saw a pic in a thread somewhere that had heatshrink (carefully) applied around them at these points, which seems like a pretty good idea. The strands themselves are in fine condition (sans colored dye by this point), but it still made me wonder if the loosening of the braid would have any impact on the overall strength rating.
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Cordage is braided in order to improve handling. Handling includes management of risk to tangling and variation in load which would break strands and so diminish the strength of the cord.

So, the answer is: No, the WS is not diminished in its load capacity by the appearance of eyes between the strands and a loosening of the braiding.

Why does it occur? I suspect because, as has been shown in an arborist forum, the constriction forces are exponentially distributed -- not using the word "exponential" hyperbolically -- over the length of the constrictor. You can change the exponent on the function by working your fingers and "milking" the constrictor. But there will still be an exponential decay in the constriction, the first part seeing the load constricting most. This results in a permanent lengthening of the strands where the load is greatest, and it comes from two sources. First, there is the squeezing out of open space and maximal tightening of the braid where constriction is greatest. Second, there is greater expansion of eyes in the braid is due to permanent stretching, called "creep", of the strands. Dyneema is prone to creep. Manila fiber does not creep.

Why I am not concerned: Whoopie slings operate in the same way that bog-standard eye-splices do, and those eye-splices are rated by the cordage makers, at near 100% of cordage strength, with no statement that they wear out over time and use. I think the open are more exposed to hazards of snagging, and of being singled out, so to speak, for any harm, but the sum strength of all of them is little diminished.

That said:
    All cordage has a lifespan which is shortened by use under loads approaching breaking strength. Fashion here for some is to operate with safety margins that are smaller than recommended. That results in more creep, --permanent elongation during normal use at higher fractions of breaking strength-- which eventually will weaken the cord and reduce its breaking strength. When? Maybe only after tens of thousands or load cycles.

And: Some whittle with a knife. I spend idle time with a pick, closing down the eyes by loosening the very tight braid in the adjacent portions of the constrictor.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 06-13-2013 at 01:33.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Ozark Trail Cocoon
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Awesome post! I was always confused by these things..

• + New Posts
  • Page 88 of 106 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast