Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Answer #1: I use 6' straps/huggers.

Answer #2: Not inclined to use a whoopie for the tarp since it complicates attachment to the tree.
    Have you ever thought of attaching your tarp ridgeline to the huggers? WS would work great there.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rug View Post
    Have you ever thought of attaching your tarp ridgeline to the huggers? WS would work great there.
    I think they move to much in order to rely on them for a secure tarp attachment point.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Your huggers move? Is this a common problem with dutch clips? I have never had my huggers move on me, but I have just switched to dutch clips and don't have much time spent with them. But huggers + biners have never moved on me before.

Opie; is this a sign that you are too heavy for the trees that you hang from? =)
    I ride a recumbent.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rug View Post
    Your huggers move? Is this a common problem with dutch clips? I have never had my huggers move on me, but I have just switched to dutch clips and don't have much time spent with them. But huggers + biners have never moved on me before.

Opie; is this a sign that you are too heavy for the trees that you hang from? =)
    LOL!!

In order to get a tight pitch from your tarp, the ridge points need to be stationary.

I know when I get in my hammock, the weight of me makes the huggers move. The angle of the dangle increases (or decreases depending on what your dangle is) and as such, I believe, you would either lose your tight pitch, or increase the tension on the tarp ridgeline.

Not to mention, when you move in your hammock, it tends to sway. So would your tarp if its attached to your huggers.

I think its an excellent idea... But I think it would prove unsatisfactory. Oh... and I dont use dutch clips. I use biners.

EDIT: Did you just call me FAT!?

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    If the tarp ridgeline is ~0* from horizontal, and the hammock suspension is ~30*, there is only one point of intersection. Assuming that there is no movement of either, two perfectly spaced trees would be required. Even allowing for a certain amount of fudge, the single point of attachment would seem to limit flexibility.

Either that, or I am completely and utterly lost.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I was just kidding around, I have seen pictures of you, and know that you are trim'ish. I on the other hand am in shape. (As long as you consider round a shape!) I just couldn't resist the dig.

Your explanation could explain why I have never had as tight a pitch as i have seen others on this forum get, but i just assumed it was because i didn't have a cat-cut tarp.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The biggest problem we ran into trying to use Whoopie slings for the tarp (tie outs or ridge line) is that Whoopie Slings are difficult to loosen when the line is pulled tight.

To easily loosen Whoopie Slings you need to pull a little slack in order to loosen the splice.

UCRs work much better for applications where the line is pulled tight. You don't need to pull a little slack to loosen UCRs. And arranged properly UCRs will hold just fine with the forces on a tarp tie out or ridge line and it is easier to configure the UCR splice to minimize the amount of rope needed.

Between UCRs and Whoopie Slings we are minimizing the hardware in our setup. Of course with the disposable stakes we have added some to compensate for what we have eliminated. The only h/w left in our suspension is the Ti toggles which are permanently fixed in place. We would have to lose the suspension to lose the toggles. The toggles for the Marlin Spike Hitch we pickup off the ground and return to the ground once done with them.

Another advantage of the UCRs and Whoopie slings, we don't have to be concerned about losing h/w. We were always losing Figure 9s and carabiners. Now so long as we don't lose ALL of the splicing needles, we are okay.

The only h/w in our tarp setups are the stakes. We use UCRs for our tie outs and the ridge line. We are replacing the Prussic knots we use on our tarp ridge line with UCRs. About the same amount of rope in the UCRs as in the Prussics, but the UCRs are even easier to slide than the Prussics. They aren't strictly speaking UCRs, but a close kissing cousin. We replaced the Figure 9 used to tighten and hold the ridge line with a UCR, but haven't decided if we will keep that or not.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    I made a set today! I decided to Convert my Eno Doublenest to whoopie slings. Turns out it would have been a good idea to throw a carabiner on the adjustable end before I fed it through the end channel. My adjustable loop turned into a finished end. No worries, I made another that was bettter than the first.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I made it through 10 of 44 pages...I cant read any more I'm thinking of making a whoopie sling for my suspension/ tarp tie outs. The part I dont fully understand is how one knows the buried length of both the fixed and adjustable ends. I plan on ordering 1/8 amsteel from Arrowhead equipment to make two lengths of 10'ish hammock suspension, one length of 120''ish for a structural ridge line, and ten 6'ish tarp tie outs. Can I use the same bury length for all of these and if so what length to should I use?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    I made it through 10 of 44 pages...I cant read any more I'm thinking of making a whoopie sling for my suspension/ tarp tie outs. The part I dont fully understand is how one knows the buried length of both the fixed and adjustable ends. I plan on ordering 1/8 amsteel from Arrowhead equipment to make two lengths of 10'ish hammock suspension, one length of 120''ish for a structural ridge line, and ten 6'ish tarp tie outs. Can I use the same bury length for all of these and if so what length to should I use?
    For the whoopies... 6" on the fixed eye works well. I use 9" on my adjustable buries, but have gotten away with 7".

On my Structural Ridge Lines using Zing It, the fixed eye bury is 2" with a 2" loop and the adjustable bury is 9". Im sure I can whittle the adjustable bury down, just need to so more testing.

For tarp tie outs, 1/8 is way over kill both in cost and rating. However... a 1.5" to 2" bury is sufficient. Thats on a fixed eye with a 2" loop.(which takes 4" of line.)

• + New Posts
  • Page 44 of 106 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast