LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Ok I think I figured this whoopie sling thing out...the way you make these things is to first go back to college and get a PHD in mathmatics, physics, and engineering then buy a spool of amsteel, spend months trying to make your own whoopie slings, finally give up and just buy a set of them made by someone who understands the first 10 pages of this thread.

But seriously, great OP, now I just need to figure out how long of slings I want/need. Thanks SlowBro!

P.S. What lengths do people tend to go with, assuming 6-8 foot huggers?
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    6 foot.
    you can always carry an amsteel extention but i've never used it and quit carrying it.

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    But seriously, great OP, now I just need to figure out how long of slings I want/need. Thanks SlowBro!

P.S. What lengths do people tend to go with, assuming 6-8 foot huggers?
    You are welcome, but really my instructions were just a meager attempt at giving back to this community for all the wonderful information and kind folks that populate this site.

As to the length I agree with MedicineMan that 6 feet is a good length. I would start with about 12- 14 ft of line to make your 6 foot whoopies. Enjoy.
    -Mark
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Hammock
    Knotty Gathered DIY
    Tarp
    Hilleberg
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    whoopies

Whoopie!!!!!!

I finally decided to dip my toes into the "whoopie pool" and cast my old friends bowline, clove hitch, sheet bend and even good old alpine hitch back into the climbing bag, where I guess they will now stay. The marlin spike is not so bad, but it sure isn't so pretty either. The whoopie however is all that plus a bowl of vanilla chocolate chunk. After making the first one, which caused a few expletives to escape a curled lip, I have been a whoopie making mofo. After writing that sentence I see the depths to which I have sunk....for this whoopie has nothing to do with being between two sheets (not bends, but bed) and I'm still happy as a lark. Don't know who specifically to thank so I'll thank the whole forum. Thanks.
    So I saw on one of Shug's video's that there is a use for the whoopie as a ridge line also. I guess I'll be delving into that next as a way to dial in my preference. Geez-oh-petes the possibilities could be endless.
    I've made all of my whoopies with 1/8th amsteel because that is what I ordered 200' of initially. So of course I've got a "tab", as I write this, on Redden's web site and I'm just itching to order 200' of the 7/64. Intervention?

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by hang loose View Post
    <snip>
    I've made all of my whoopies with 1/8th amsteel because that is what I ordered 200' of initially. So of course I've got a "tab", as I write this, on Redden's web site and I'm just itching to order 200' of the 7/64. Intervention?
    I'm still at the "curled lip" stage with the 7/64": it's extremely tight on the inside. My next try will be with a longer thinned section and a better fid, so I'm hoping to 'break on through to the other side' with a great sling. In the meantime, CONGRATULATIONS!!

Hammock
    Knotty Gathered DIY
    Tarp
    Hilleberg
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Thanks rootcause. The key for me was using slobro's method of marking/removing half of the fibers about 1.5" down from the end. I have been using the same plastic needle that he used and all. I've still not ordered the 7/64 but can't wait to try it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    If you can make yourself a "fid" or "splicing tool" out of super thin steel wire folded in half it's much easier. Mine is about a foot long. For the buries, you actually need to insert the wire into the spot where you want the bury to exit, then out the entrance point, and pull the rope back through. The extra length of the tool gives lots of room for bunching up the amsteel, increasing its diameter and making it easier to bull the bury on through. The bend in the wire makes a great eye. You open it a bit to insert the end, and when it springs back it grips the end quite nicely. I forget the exact size of wire I use, but I've even spliced 1.7 mm Zing It with this tool. It's a little big for that but it works. On 7/64 Amsteel it's a breeze.

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop gathered end
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    6 foot.
    you can always carry an amsteel extention but i've never used it and quit carrying it.
    Oops! Made my first whoopie sling tonight and used 8ft of line because I figured I could always move the spike up and down along the tree hugger. Oh well, I still have enough line to make 6ft'ers if I need to. It was a rush making this thing and seeing it work! Thanks Slowbro! Your instructions were perfect!

Also I used a larks head to attach the rope to my hammock, but I have seen some other post regarding an eye splice, is the larks head ok? or should I splice it?

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    On the fixed eye end of my Whoopies I use a Locked Brummel then larks head it to my hammock. Is that what you mean?
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop gathered end
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcakes View Post
    On the fixed eye end of my Whoopies I use a Locked Brummel then larks head it to my hammock. Is that what you mean?
    Yes, that is what I mean, I didn't use a locked brummel, I just doubled the rope ran it back through it self and tied the loose end on the working end, is that gonna drop me on my rear?

• + New Posts
  • Page 73 of 106 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast