Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

Video : A Stroll on Striding Edge

As a college student I got to spend a year at the University of Lancaster, which is only 30 miles from the English Lake District. I joined the hiking club there and did lots of rambles, and a highlight for me that year was a week long trek that me and a couple of mates made where we stealth camped the whole way. Whenever business takes me to England and I have a chance to get back up there for a hike, I do.

Part 2 of my weekend in England had me arrive in the Lake District in mid afternoon, take a bit of a ramble around in the hills, then make my stealthy hang near the Haweswater Reservoir. In the morning I drove over to the village of Glenridding which was my trailhead for a hike up to Helvellyn via the Striding Edge. This is one of the classic Lakeland hikes.

I took a fair number of video snippets along the way, mixed in Google Earth and the Trinity College, Cambridge choir to cook up a video trip report.

Cannibal--the mist on the Lake is at 3:18. An interesting point not made in the video is that Haweswater was created in the 30's by building a dam to flood a valley that contained a village. Everyone was moved out, including the graves. I'm told that when the water is low you can see the village down there. Until recently a church spire would stick out of the water when it was low.

The link (you do want to see this in HQ) is here.

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 07-05-2009 at 07:16.

• + New Posts