Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    Yea i will get one someday, what Shug said about the water proofing failing when you rub it against itself in your hand worries me. I would need my tarp to last miles and miles, as It would be for thru hiking. Anyone know about how the durability is for sil vs spinn?
    Warbonnetguy and myself have also preformed that little experiment with the same results. But, I don't think it is a fair comparison. My Spinn MacCat has well over 100 nights of stuffing and unstuffing and it is still as waterproof now as it was the day I got it. I shove it into the outer mesh pocket of my ULA packs, stakes and all and have yet to have a problem.

Very easy to get a tight pitch and it doesn't stretch, so there is no need for the weight of tensioners. It is waterproof, unlike sil. Sil will allow the water to pass through if there is contact made on the inside; to me, that makes it not waterproof, only resistant. I can rub a paper towel on the inside of my Spinn tarp during a downpour and have it come back bone dry. Try that with sil. The noise factor can be an issue. If it's pitched tight and a small twig or nut falls from up high, it can sound like a snare drum. Takes very little time to get accustomed to it. Then of course, it's lighter...which is nice.

IMO it is a MUCH better material for tarps than sil. It might wear out in a couple more years, but I'll just order another one with a big stupid grin on my face while I'm doing it.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Warbonnetguy and myself have also preformed that little experiment with the same results. But, I don't think it is a fair comparison. My Spinn MacCat has well over 100 nights of stuffing and unstuffing and it is still as waterproof now as it was the day I got it. I shove it into the outer mesh pocket of my ULA packs, stakes and all and have yet to have a problem.

Very easy to get a tight pitch and it doesn't stretch, so there is no need for the weight of tensioners. It is waterproof, unlike sil. Sil will allow the water to pass through if there is contact made on the inside; to me, that makes it not waterproof, only resistant. I can rub a paper towel on the inside of my Spinn tarp during a downpour and have it come back bone dry. Try that with sil. The noise factor can be an issue. If it's pitched tight and a small twig or nut falls from up high, it can sound like a snare drum. Takes very little time to get accustomed to it. Then of course, it's lighter...which is nice.

IMO it is a MUCH better material for tarps than sil. It might wear out in a couple more years, but I'll just order another one with a big stupid grin on my face while I'm doing it.
    Yea I just figured sil had more durability, was thinkign about the distance on a thru hike and needed the durability. But if what you say is true, i will get a spinn for my wife for her setup.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I used my Spinn tarp from Hot Springs, NC to Bennington, VT in 2008. Same tarp that is still going strong today.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I take that back. I got it around Irwin, TN; not Hot Springs.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    So here's the deal. Kayaknut and I went kayaking this weekend and hung for a night. We both have OES MacCat deluxe tarps, his Spinn and mine Sil. When I awoke this morning the cars were heavy with dew. The Spinn hardly felt damp (slightly on top, dry on the bottom) and the Sil was wet to a point it left marks when wiped. It was wet on the top and bottom. After seeing this, if I were choose between the two, it would be a no brainer.As far as stretch, neither sagged at all so that wasn't an issue.
    Spend the extra buck to keep your back dry when entering and exiting the hammock and also to pack a dry hammock when hitting the trail.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    One other observation. The Sil stretches more giving it a rounder tighter pitch then the Spinn. As mentioned earlier sag did not occur even with the moisture.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Irwin=Erwin,TN (was just there
    I've got sil, spinnUL, and cuben.
    If I had to choose I'd go with spinnUL, currently it's the perfect middle ground between the three.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    Got 2 spins and one sil. working on a winter tarp out of spin. I've roughed up one of the spin tarps to the point that it isn't noisy anymore, if it is taunt, then it still protects as well as ever.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge spinn
    Insulation
    Yeti3S JRB HudRiv
    Suspension
    dynaglide whoopie
    Images
    im lookin to get a tarp - sounds like spinnul is the way to go.
    where would be a good place to get one? I don't see that WB or OES offers them. I really like the superfly but iguess that would be pricey in spinn.

thanks, kirk

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge spinn
    Insulation
    Yeti3S JRB HudRiv
    Suspension
    dynaglide whoopie
    Images
    oops! - isee that oes does offer them... but the superfly I like is WB's....

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast