WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Cohutta wilderness question

My boy and I are planning a trip to the Cohuttas in a few weeks-------its been a few years since I've visited that wonderful place, so I have a few questions.........Thinking of parking at the Dally gap trailhead. Has any one been there latly? if so, how were the roads? (passable with a passenger car?) Any valdalism? Bear problems? Thinking of hiking the upper jacks river loop. I've got 3 days to hike it, hoping to have lots of leisure /screw off time during the trip. Any thoughts or suggestions/warnings? Thanks guys!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I saw an article on this place in Backpacker several years ago as one of those hidden treasures. I've been trying to talk a couple of hiking partners into doing a loop up there over a couple of days. I'll keep an eye on this thread too as I have the same questions.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    It is indeed a hidden treasure! (or not so hidden during a busy weekend!) The cohuttas are beautiful, remote, rugged, kinda dangerous, etc etc-----------if you go, read up on the history-------------Theres an old legend about a Cherokee gold mine hidden in the Cohuttas---pretty interesting !
    Last edited by stevebo; 05-24-2014 at 07:01.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    HNO Sock
    Insulation
    HG/HNO/UGQ
    Suspension
    Not Lately
    Images
    It is a real nice area. Pretty heavily used around the Jacks River Falls. Last July I made a loop of the two ridge trails, with an excursion to the falls. I came in from Ellijay, then NE'ly to a TH at Cowpen Tr. The last stretch of road on FS 64 was pretty rough and engaged the 4 WD in some wet muddy dips. Otherwise coming in to the WMA it was all passable with passenger car. Also drove over to Conasauga Lake Rec Area and that was good gravel road. Never got to Dally Gap, but it is paved road almost all the way to the WMA boundary (coming from Blue Ridge). The iffy part would be FS 22-2. Hopefully someone else can help you better. Have a fun trip.

• + New Posts