Buying a new top quilt/insilator. Would love to hear some opinions and feedback

Hello all,
    I just slept in cold conditions for the first time in my hammock and my under quilt did not cut it. I was freezing and my under quilt seems to take up too much space and weighs a little more then I desire.
    Right now, I have a Warbonnet Yeti and was not impressed when I used it in colder weather (35-40 F.) It also seems like it would be too much weight if I add on a top quilt. For example, I added the Mamba top quilt with it and it was 2 pounds and 43oz. So I am looking for a top quilt that I can wrap around my body to keep warm or a hammock sock.

So after looking at a few manufacturer’s websites, I narrowed it down to three quilts/insulators.
    1. The Jacks R Better Shenandoah Quilt ( 15oz. rated at 40F.)
    2. Enlightened Equipment Enigma Pro (Regular;Slim fit, 14.3oz for 30F and 11.93oz for 40F.)
    3. Molly Mac Gear Hammock Sock (10.5oz)

The coldest temperature I sleep in is 30 F. I am looking for a light insulator that can pack down small. So far, the Molly Mac Gear Hammock Sock looks like it might fit the bill. However, I am not familiar with how well the sock can trap heat and if there is an easy way to vary the temperatures and ventilation in case I use it in warmer weather.

The Enlightened Equipment really seems like a perfect all purpose quilt (keeping all of my body warm.) It is the lightest I have found, seems like it will last a long time and I can control how much ventilation goes through it fairly easily. The only downside to this quilt is the price.

The Jacks R Better quilt seems a little on the heavy side, but a is a lot less expensive than the Enigma Pro.

These insulators all seem compatible with what I am looking for. If anybody has any feedback on these items, I would love to hear it. Or if anybody has any other top quilt recommendations for me, please let me know.

If you could let me know your thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thank you much!

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB Cat
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Stock HH
    Just as a note - neither an underquilt nor a topquilt will (by itself) be able to keep all of your body warm. If you wrap a topquilt all the way around you then the down will compress underneath you and you'll lose it's insulative properties. What you really need is the combo of a topquilt and underquilt.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    you'll still need some form of top insulation even with a hammock sock.

Hammock
    Dutchware PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Wrapping the Shenandoah around you would be a challenge. I mean it'll fit if you're slim (I can fit it around me), but If you toss and turn it won't stay wrapped around you very long. It's overall width is 48".

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Consider reaching out (via PM) to Paul & Missy of Underground Quilts. I'm sure they will be able to come up with the right mix of gear based on your size and needs and environment and color choice and...
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    I think your weight expectations are unrealistic for 30*F. You already have a Yeti, which is the lightest 20*F under quilt available. Your underquilt/top quilt/foot pad combo will be doing the equivalent job of a sleeping bag/pad or ground TQ/pad, and honestly, may end up weighing more, as they typically require more material together than both those options.

You might look into making something similar to the speer peapod - many have adapted sleeping bags to this purpose - as long as you don't have an integrated bug net. I don't know of anyone currently producing them commercially.

• + New Posts