not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    on the up side, hammocks (done well) are even more LNT than the lightest tent- no mat of crushed grass, no disturbance of the area to get rocks out from under you; and straps at least 1"wide will leave little -if any- mark on tree bark. (possibly a slight depression, if the tree is tender skinned.) it might help convince any irritated camp supervisor, when they gripe about "attaching" something to their trees; you can persuade with the fact that it is not a permanent attachment; more like a hair-tie on a pony tail.
    hope that helps! KM

Done. Just bought some straps with a 1,000 lbs. work load limit. Big improvement over the 75lb limit rope I bought first.

Not really too worried about bears. In fact, I was talking with a co worker today about that. I actually think you're a little safer in a hammock. A tent might be ripped open to see what's inside. And once it is, a person might be killed for being in the way or startling the bear. I figure, in a hammock I'm just what I look like - some dude - and the bear doesn't need to do a whole lot of investigation. Unless it's a bear that likes to eat people, I'm fine. And if it is a bear that likes to eat people, I'd be screwed anyway.

Anyway, this weekend I'll be around Klamath National Forest, and maybe Umpqua, Deschutes, or Willamette in OR. Later in the month I'm going to be heading to Chicago from Seattle and probably taking US 2. WA is all good. Northern ID too. Glacier is in there. But after that, it looks like a lot of farm land. Ever done a corn stalk hang?

Sef, I used to live inthe same area, and the answers to most of your quesitons are, "they don't know either". Just do it. I've learned very quickly that the quickest way to find an answer is to do it anyway and someone will tell you if you're breaking the rules or not.

And by breaking the rules, I mean, "something I don't like/understand" which was the one time I got questioned by a park ranger in the Klamath area.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers
    Between PA and, well, south of there, You should have no lack of trees whatsoever. At least from my experience in the late 90's. Well, unless they cut them all down. It's been a while since I've been east.
    We must all learn to live together as brothers--or we will all perish together as fools. MLK

Hammock
    TTTG SB dbl
    Tarp
    OES SWT
    Insulation
    HG 20/Exped Synmat
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Just my opinion, I've camped at 4 sites that were not hammock friendly. After showing the ranger how I hang they have all let me hang my hammock. Huggers and not being an idiot really go a long way.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Have no issues with national parks here - unless I am in the car campgrounds, then they want to make sure I am in an "established tent site" - which is ludicrous, the tenters have their tents in those.

National forests, again, no difficulties. State parks are a mixed bag. Some forbid hammocks and some have no official opinion on the matters.

It's like anything, road conditions, trail conditions, water sources - you should probably call and ask right before your trip so you know what you're getting into.

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    True, but don't we want to be politically correct. lets not give the hammock community a bad name. I would hate to have a bunch of rebel hammock people ruin it for an otherwise wholesome community. we should all put our best effort into creating a good karma about hammocks.
    hahahahaha. rebel hammocks people. this just made me laugh...

But seriously, as long as you are being respectful of the property and it is apparent you don't have any other shelter, I doubt anyone is going to bust you.
    If Kairos were held in the forest, there would be no war, no global warming, and no tents.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    StormcrowIncubator
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    If I were you, I'd just bring a pad with me in case the need to go to ground arises. Some of the inflatable pads can take up very little room (I got a Stoic 2/3rds pad off SteepAndCheap for $20 or so and it's about the size of a 20z bottle). Plus, you can use it as extra insulation for your hammock should the temperatures drop lower than you expected.

If you hang from a tree and someone gives you a hard time about it, you can tell them that the suspension system's webbing is designed to leave the trees unharmed. Show them that the tree is undamaged and that you're a responsible camper. If they still can't be persuaded, I wouldn't push it and just go to ground instead.

Pack a bivy bag.
    I doubt you will have to use it, but it may be worth the peace of mind.

Dewey

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12