ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images

Hanging Last Weekend

Just a brief report about last weekend.

My scout troop went down to Clements Scout Camp this past weekend for our District Camporee. With puffing of chest and strutting about the office, I am pleased to report that we took first place in four seperate events and first place overall for the second year in a row.

Friday night, the skys opened up on the way there. It was raining so hard, I had to slow down to below 40 mph. I thought we were going to get soaked while setting up camp. But, the gods were smiling on us. The rain stopped and all was well. We arrived at camp around 9PM, set up camp and had them in bed before midnight. All right, it was 5 minutes to midnight, but they were in before the stroke of 12.

Here are some links to the pictures of my hammock.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...s&cutoffdate=1

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...s&cutoffdate=1

I use a MacCat DeLuxe for a tarp. It's folded over so you can see the hammock and under quilt. The quilt is my homemade JRB ORM knockoff. I call it the gray ghost. I use a JRB nest for my top quilt. With the addition of a weathershield, I've had this setup down to 30 degrees.

Back to the weekend! About 1:30 AM, we were entertained with a light show. There was about a 3 second delay between flash and the crack of the thunder. Very fun. We did get a little rain, but nothing serious. The MacCat has yet to let me down. Temps on Saturday morning were in the mid 50's. I laid without the Nest completely covering me until the very early hours of the morning. I slept in just my undershorts. I woke once for a bio break and again about 7 or so for breakfast. Eggs in a bag, banana, OJ, hot cider and a bagel. Yummy.

Sunday morning was a bit cooler. The low was in the upper 40's but warmed quickly when the sun came up. I wore the same sleepwear (yes, I put on a clean pair before bed) but made a couple of minor mistakes prior to bed. I left my tarp folded over before going to the campfire, so things were a little clammy when I climbed in. I also neglected to check the ends of the underquilt. The 7 or 8 degrees colder was enough to wake me in the middle of the night for a bio break as I was chilled on the backside. I adjusted things for a better fit and all was well.

Good food, good company and out in the woods. What could be better??
    Peace,
    Joe

I was expecting to see a person hanging like this

glad you had a good weekend out.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    sounds like a great trip joe. how many other hammocks did you see?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Sounds like you had fun and missed the majority of the bad weather I saw that you guys got this weekend. Glad to see your okay. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    sounds like a great trip joe. how many other hammocks did you see?
    There is one other gentleman in my troop that hangs. He uses a homemade spear type and is figuring out his insulation. We use our scout trips as kind of shakedown trips to test new gear. He, along with his son, are going to hike Georgia with me at the end of May.

We didn't see any other hammocks, but we get lots of funny looks, questions and even some envious glances. The rest of our troop has become rather accepting of us hangers and most of the snide comments and jokes have stopped. Especially when we get out of our hammocks w/o any aches and pains!
    Peace,
    Joe

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    Sounds like you had fun and missed the majority of the bad weather I saw that you guys got this weekend. Glad to see your okay. BD
    Thanks BD. It really turned into a pretty weekend. Some of the kids even got sunburned.
    Peace,
    Joe

Images
    so the next plan is to get the whole troop hanging right??...got to get them in to the right frame of mind you know...

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    so the next plan is to get the whole troop hanging right??...got to get them in to the right frame of mind you know...
    Well, I'm not sure that will happen. We register close to 100 boys. I am working on them one at a time though. When we do Georgia, all three of us are gonna hang. I have an original Hennessey that I am loaning to my friends son. I hear he thinks it's pretty cool. If he likes it enough, maybe I'll even sell it to him.
    Peace,
    Joe

Images
    I can never understand the reluctance to hammock. When I first heard of it, I thought sounds like a decent idea. However, I was not ready to go out and buy a hammock. Then in Panama, I slept in a hammock for 10 days and was sold. I got the brilliant idea that I could convince the wife to go out with me if we had hammocks. Now she is not so worried about sleeping out over night. Just have to work on other issues.

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    Don't be encouraging him to hang a bunch of kids out in the woods ... please

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast