Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Planer board line for UCR guylines

I had recently read that braided dacron line was a hollow braided, low-cost, and low-stretch line that would be suitable for making guylines. It's typically used for planer board lines. I picked up 150ft of 200lb line for around $13 CAD at my local fishing/outdoors big-box store.

I made some UCR's for my tarp guylines out of it. I was out in some pretty strong winds and they held up really well. No hardware and not knots to tie at the campsite. The UCR's that I built have a max length of 77", a min length of 21" and weigh 4g each.

I still think that I'll stick with lash-it for my tarp ridgeline but I'm completely sold on the dacron UCR's for my guylines.

IMGP0657.jpg

IMGP0658.jpg

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Planer board line works great for tarp applications (guy lines or ridge lines). UCRs also work great for guy out lines as it is easy to release the tension on it compared to a whoopie sling. I use UCRs for the panel pull out lines on my Canvas Condo hammock hot tent.

For my silnlon tarp, I use self tensioned guylines (from zing it) with a single fixed eye over the steak with a prussic loop that is girth hitched to the tie out. This provides for easy adjustment from under the tarp and also a point that will slip if excessive wind gusts hit the tarp or someone trips over the guy line.

I picked up a spool of 200# planer board line at my local big box outdoor store. I think mine was $10.00 for 300' or close to that amount.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY Tiger stripe 12'
    Tarp
    10x10 diy tarptent
    Insulation
    diy down u/q s/b/
    Suspension
    whoopie/strapps
    Images
    ordered 300 yards of 300 lbs dyneema 8 strand ordered multi color 9.00 to mail box many uses.
    have a great day
    Life is to Short For Bland Colorless Food Spice Up your LIFE Eat Farm Fresh!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    For my silnlon tarp, I use self tensioned guylines (from zing it) with a single fixed eye over the steak with a prussic loop that is girth hitched to the tie out. This provides for easy adjustment from under the tarp and also a point that will slip if excessive wind gusts hit the tarp or someone trips over the guy line.
    I like the prussic that's girth hitched to the tarp tie out. I had seen that in a video before and was hoping to emulate the same sort of thing with the UCR. The UCR is close to being adjustable from under the tarp. And I'm really hoping that the UCR would slip (or the dacron will break) if the wind gets too excessive or somebody trips over the guy line. It seems like a lot of the guyline systems that I've read elsewhere make the tarp the weak link.

Thanks for the tips and a little bit of validation!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    I love the stuff! Just ordered 300' of the 200# PBL. I use it for guy lines and my tarp ridge line, It's also a great utility line.
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I have planer board line for my ridgelines, guy lines, bear bag lines, and continuous loops of various sizes. I live about 10 minutes from a Bass Pro shop and they always seem to have it on the shelves.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Do any of you know the weight of 200lb (or 150lb) planer board line? Is it lighter or heavier than Zing-it/Lash-it?

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bwg View Post
    Do any of you know the weight of 200lb (or 150lb) planer board line? Is it lighter or heavier than Zing-it/Lash-it?
    This is what I found out about planer board line when I first learned about it within the last couple of years.

The stuff is hi-vis orange, like dynaglide. It is polyester based (low stretch), hollow braid, 2mm in diameter (measured give or take) and a 1 meter section of the 200 pound test line tipped my scale out at 2 grams. (right in between 1.75mm and 2.2mm Lash-It).
    Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    This is what I found out about planer board line when I first learned about it within the last couple of years.

...stuff cut...

Brian
    Thank you. From your information planer board line weighs about 2.15oz per 100 feet. Also, given mm53bar's measure of 4 grams for 77" (ignoring any bury), that works to 2.2oz per 100 feet. So it seems 200lb planer board line is somewhere between 2.15 and 2.20 oz per 100 feet (assuming different companies use similar designs for this line).

Thanks for the info Brian. I'm going to be making some more "experiments" tomorrow so I'll weigh a 1 meter section. Just had another camping trip this past weekend where the planer board ucr's were great. Even my 8-year old was able to adjust his own guylines easily while still under the tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast