Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Black Mega Ogee
    Insulation
    Lotsa options
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Lightning in the backcountry

Is there any definitive research addressing ways hammockers can mitigate risk of lightning? I feel I am less susceptible to getting zapped when suspended between trees than I would be in a tent on the ground but is there a way to utilize non-conductive materials between the hammock and the suspension and/or tree? I'm gonna be in the Kaibab this summer, they see 600,000 lightning strikes in AZ each year...mostly in monsoon season (summer).

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil Hex
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles/Stra
    Not a lot of research on lightning has been done. There was a thread not too long ago (w/in maybe 2-3 months) on lightning in the backcountry. There was a paper linked to written by the National Outdoors Leadership School. I thought it was good stuff.

Wait. It was you that linked the article and started the thread! I don't think much research has been done and published between April and now.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Wait a sec, you're posting the exact same thread you posted back in April?

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ight=lightning

Recent studies indicate even cars aren't a safe place from lightning, contrary to popular belief. Good luck finding a ceramic, glass or non-conductive material for your hammock suspension.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    your'e hanging in kaibab?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Rather than seek mechanical mitigation measures, I would think you'd be better off learning about Arizona monsoons.

https://geoplan.asu.edu/research-and...rt-meteorology

When I lived in Tucson for several years, we could see the moisture-filled clouds coming up the valley from Mexico from miles away. We knew, from simple observation, that the thunderstorms would come in the late afternoon (a time I wouldn't be in a hammock anyway), and they'd be of short duration (30-40 minutes). So you're trying to mitigate for a time of day you're not likely to be in your hammock, and for a duration (all night) that is not characteristic of Arizona monsoons.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    WLtdpl,diySnowFort
    Insulation
    HG Inc10,DIY TQ 0?
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Build a portable Faraday cage.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The AZ backcountry lightning expert (who is not an AZ backcountry lightning expert, by the way) you cited in your previous post still cracks me up.

http://www.aztrail.org/lightning_safety.pdf

First of all, he admits there is little safety data on lightning "risk management" so all he can offer are “best hunches,” not objective scientific deductions.
    "Random circumstance is a significant factor in determining where lightning strikes, meaning that these behaviors help reduce your
    'Las Vegas' odds of lightning injury, but can never make you safe. Bill Roeder (2009) says these 'last minute' precautions lower
    your odds of injury to 47% of what your odds would be if you took no precautions at all."

He goes on to say, "There are four actions that can reduce your risk. These behaviors are in order and each one is roughly twice as important as the next one:

• time visits to high risk areas with weather patterns
    • find safer terrain if you hear thunder
    • avoid trees and long conductors once lightning gets close
    • get in the lightning position if lightning is striking nearby."

Well, that makes me feel better - if I listen to those simple tips I'll reduce my odds of getting hit by lightning from 500,000 to 1 to 250,000 to 1! I came; I saw; I mitigated! And if you look on the Internet, this William Roeder cited above portrays himself as another lightning safety expert - who, by the way, states that the lightning position is relatively useless. And Bill Roeder just pulled 47% out of his nether regions, by the way. So John Gookin pulls "Backcountry Lightning Risk Management" out of his nether regions and cites another guy pulling stuff out of his nether regions.

There really is no definitive research because lightning strikes are so rare it would be impossible to quantify what effect your "mitigating measures" had on improved lightning safety. How many are people are killed by meteors each year? And how we could we reduce our chances of getting hit by a meteor? No scientist can get a grant for stuff like that, so you're pretty much on your own. Same with lightning - you're on your own using common sense, or you find yourself listening to self-appointed "Backcountry Lightning Risk Management" experts.

Hammock
    WB RR, BB
    Tarp
    Cluodburst, MJ
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    D-rings and straps
    Research: Stand over here on this puddle and hold on to this white wire. Wait! Where are you going? Come back here! There's no danger, really, I promise. Now don't keep on like that! This really ain't gonna hurt, not even a little bit.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Wow, that is an incredible picture. My camping consists 100% in areas with trees, not a desert/shrubland environment. Therefore my primary concern is a tree getting struck near me.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    Homemade 5 oz ripstop
    Tarp
    The Arc
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Man, tell me about it. I once proposed an experiment with a kite and a glass filament. They said I was mad!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast