Hammock
    HH UL Expl, Expd, WBBB XL, homemade
    Tarp
    Hex, WB Edge
    Insulation
    HHSS or Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    Straps or whoopies
    I set mine up with sufficient tension (unloaded) that you can just bend it through 90 degrees over 4 fingers length. When I get in, it's flat and tight, showing no sags in the bug net, but not so tight that it's a musical instrument.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hybrid/varies
    I act as though the ridgeline is my 30 degree indicator. If it's loose when I'm in the hammock I need to tighten my suspension. But I don't let it get very tight. I lay in it, reach up and see if I can tweak the ridgline section in my hand to a 45 degree angle. If that's too hard, I loosen my suspension. This is based on the assumption that under load it is just getting tight when I have the right angle on my suspension. That may not be a correct assumption but it's close enough for me. Especially since I'm pretty bad at estimating that 30 degree angle I'm looking for otherwise.

That said, I strung up my 3 HH UL Asyms and my HH Explorer pretty tight for nearly a decade and never had a failure.
    "Every human being holds something holy. We can all have some respect for that." - Omar Marzouk

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    hey SPACEMAN

i love these conversations...

HENNESSEE, IMHO, set your ridge line in such a manner that, when you stretch your system, taught, you have a good hang, w/o much monkey motion/adjustment required

the "30º RULE", again IMHO, is a starting point

this is NOT ROCKET SCIENCE, it is HAMMOCKING

we are all different, we all have different needs/likes, when it comes to the definition of a GOOD SLEEPING POSITION

factor in the differences in people & in systems and the possibilities are infinite

EACH INDIVIDUAL needs to find a coupla trees, set up his/her system & TAKE A NAP

i have napped way more hours than slept @ night

i have tweaked/modified my HH system several times and seem to have found A sweet spot

note, i didn't say THE sweet spot, it is just a spot that works for me

btw, i am a BIG OLE BOY(260#) and hang in a HH SAFARI DELUXE, w/ the stock HEX FLY

i sleep on my side & on my back

i have changed my suspension system out to DIY WHOOPSIES, W/ DRIP RINGS & my fly is strung on ZING-IT, to the BINERS on my TREE STRAPS

i did leave the stock ridge line, as HH made it & i string it rather snug

WHATEVER you end up doing, it is RIGHT when YOU SLEEP WELL, not when it meets anyone else's criteria

EACH INDIVIDUAL needs to find a coupla trees, set up his/her system & TAKE A NAP

¿ did i say ?

good luck w/ YOUR system

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Here is the deal with Hennessy Hammocks. The ridgeline is what sets the optimal "comfort curve" of the hammock body. It is tied into the suspension lines and is supposed to pull tight when loaded with the user's weight. The suspension lines can be set with some play, if desired. Tom's recommendation has been to set the hammock up straight and level, evenly spaced between trees. I have set the hammock up a bit loosely when conditions dictated such (like inside a pavillion or shelter). As long as the ridgeline can become taught under weight, it is fine. Just don't set up the hammock very tightly (no load). A too tight set-up is what COULD pop your ridgeline when you are in it.
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12