Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!

6x10 ?

Is a 6x10 tarp too small? Etowah makes a sil one that size...10.5 oz?? I think its only a couple of inches narrower than a McCat standard. Just wondering if any one uses a 6x10 for summer/fair weather hanging.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If your looking to keep the sun or bird doo doo off of you it should work fine. Like you said it is more of a fair weather tarp. It will keep rain or wind off of you, but probably not both. Is it the weight or the price of the tarp that is more appealing. If it is light weight you are looking for you can get a lot bigger tarp from OES for the same weight.

Hammock
    Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!
    I cant really say what it is...I'm in the market for a new tarp and I keep going back to it. Trust me, I want a OES Deluxe or maybe the standard or even a 8x10 or, or, or, or... See what I mean...?

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KMACK View Post
    Is a 6x10 tarp too small? Etowah makes a sil one that size...10.5 oz?? I think its only a couple of inches narrower than a McCat standard. Just wondering if any one uses a 6x10 for summer/fair weather hanging.
    Call me a masochist, but I've been playing with a 5' x 10' rectangle. Kept me dry with an A-frame pitch in some moderately heavy rains last week. Had to drop it down to the hammock ridge line but I'm fortunately not particularly claustrophobic.

In a previous test during a very heavy downpour, with rain driven by swirling 30 mph wind gusts, I got soaked from underneath as well as from both ends. I've a weird idea to try next time we get some heavy rains here. Even if it works I'll probably still need a weather shield under the hammock.

IIRC, something on one of Risk's pages hooked me on the 5x10. It's an interesting challenge, though nothing to take lightly. (eewww, sorry!)

In the long run I'll probably migrate to a 7x10, perhaps a tad longer.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yeah I hear ya. Its been a year now that I have been without a tarp... cuz I cant make up my mind on which to get. I finally decided to go with a 14x10 black OES maccat. Its being made as we speak. If I had known OES had tarp colors besides gray I think I could have made my choice sooner. So many manufactures, sizes, shapes, and colors to chose from. I feel your pain

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    The one and only time I made my own tarp. I only hemmed the edges and attached some loops for lines on a spare piece of sil I got my hands on. The tarp enede up being 5' x 11'. It actually works quite well for a hammock due to the 11' length. As others pointed out, the protection from the side is almost non-existent. However, with some creative pitching and if the direction of the wind is constant (LOL) I can make it work. Nonetheless it is my fair weather tarp.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    The stock tarp with a HH expedition is really not much more than an 8x5 tarp, hung a-symmetrically. Use your 6x10 that way and you'll have better side coverage. Still, that would be pushing the limits for me.

I just made a monster tarp that pushes the other limits (11' ridgeline, 13' outer idge length, 10'6" wide, 20oz). I think I'll go with an 11x10 hex cat-cut next.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Backwards Warbonnet, Several DIY
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Images
    For summer use when I'm expecting good weather, I will take my homemade 5 x 9. Plenty of coverage for the little unexpected shower. If you are expecting and anticipating more extreme weather, then size up. Otherwise, it will work fine and save you some weight.
    "If your head is wax, don't walk in the sun" -Ben Franklin

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    The stock tarp with a HH expedition is really not much more than an 8x5 tarp, hung a-symmetrically. Use your 6x10 that way and you'll have better side coverage. Still, that would be pushing the limits for me.

I just made a monster tarp that pushes the other limits (11' ridgeline, 13' outer idge length, 10'6" wide, 20oz). I think I'll go with an 11x10 hex cat-cut next.
    Awwwwwwwwwwww,,, sclittlefield, I was wondering when you were going to get your tarp done... would love to see some pic's...

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch

Just finished a cat tarp.

I just finished a cat tarp that I think has great dimensions for a 3 season tarp. It has a 11' ridgeline coming down to a 9' by 8' box. The distance between cat cuts at the center of the tarp is only 7'. I wanted to make it wider, but the Walmart bargain bin only had 52" wide Sil. At a $1.50 a yard I was more then happy to make these dimensions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast