WBBB, ENO Double
    Tarp
    Superfly & SWT
    Insulation
    Snugfit/Prolite+
    Suspension
    WBStraps & Buckles

New day, new question, NooB!!

Ok, so, i am about to head out for my first opportunity to get out there and hang, and I am very excited. We are headed to Minnesota, Hakensack to be exack!

I have completed my ENO Doublenest OneLink System, so I have the bugnet, for the "State Bird" mosqitos, the ProFly (9.5' x 12') for good coverage, the SlapStrap Pros (in these ever night for a few hours over the last two weeks, not noticing stretch yet, maybe pros a little diff?) and changed out the biners for some Camp Micros Wires.

Here is my question/worry.... Lows are getting down to around mid-50's at night. So....I have a nice Thermarest pad, full length, fits nicely, I have tested it, and yes, it does slide, but I think I can manage. So here is my question, said that already, didnt I?!

I have read about people getting cold spots... Are those folks not actually in a sleeping bag, in the hammock? I have a North Face Cats Meow 20* bag, if I am in that, won't I be fine? Do you still get cold? DO I even need the pad under the bag? This is also considering I would be wearing some Columbia thermals...

Thanks!

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Yes, you will need the pad under the bag. That setup should be fine.

The cold spots you mentioned are going to be under you, not on top. Because you are in the air, air circulation underneath you can cause problems. If the under insulation is not adequate you will get cold. It's usually your butt (CBS - Cold Butt Syndrome), as that's where the most weight presses down. If you compress your under-insulation, you'll lose heat there.

Staying warm on top is not so hard, since you're not compressing anything there and it can maintain it's full loft. This is why a compressed sleeping bag under you does not give you nearly anywhere near the listed temp rating. A synthetic bag under you can help a little, but not a lot.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The problem is you smash the bottom of your sleeping bag between your body and the hammock. Usually the heaviest part of your body in a hammock is going to be your butt. When you smash the insulation it looses most of its insulating properties. You may read about people getting CBS or Cold Butt Syndrome. A pad will help you stay insulated better. Yes I would take your pad with you. People find they get CBS in temps as warm as 70F. The problem you are going to have in your doublenest is not slipping off the pad in the middle of the night. You can look into an underquilt which is a nicer but more expensive option for solving CBS and the slipping pad issue

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by enolounger View Post
    Ok, so, i am about to head out for my first opportunity to get out there and hang, and I am very excited. We are headed to Minnesota, Hakensack to be exack!
    Don't forgot to give Lucette Diana Kensack a visit. I think she's been painted recently...<grin>

Here is my question/worry.... Lows are getting down to around mid-50's at night. So....I have a nice Thermarest pad, full length, fits nicely, I have tested it, and yes, it does slide, but I think I can manage. So here is my question, said that already, didnt I?!

I have read about people getting cold spots... Are those folks not actually in a sleeping bag, in the hammock? I have a North Face Cats Meow 20* bag, if I am in that, won't I be fine? Do you still get cold? DO I even need the pad under the bag? This is also considering I would be wearing some Columbia thermals...

Thanks!
    Mid-50's is within a range where some have reported being fine inside a very warm synthetic bag....others not....Even with thermals on the issue is that your insulating layer is a great deal thinner beneath you by compression. And if those mid-50's happened to turn to low 40's, as they could,....

me I'd have the pad (and if it is only 20" wide, something to insulate my shoulders also...20" won't do it for most inside of a hammock.

Grizz

Hammock
    WBBB, ENO Double
    Tarp
    Superfly &amp; SWT
    Insulation
    Snugfit/Prolite+
    Suspension
    WBStraps &amp; Buckles
    Ahhh yes....starting to get it. Ha. No, makes perfect sense. Honestly, I know I just need to get out there and DO IT, and then I will get it and can move forward. Just want to try and make the first experience as comfortable as possible, so there will be many more!

Other advantage I have on my side, I am very hot natured, love to be cold. Right now, its 66* in the house, ceiling fan on high, wife is under three blankets and a quilt on her side, i kick off the covers....ha! (but we are both happy with it, so it works!) Also the guy who has been known to use a full on air mattress in a tent with a top sheet and blanket and speep like a baby on a cool fall night, and you know that set up has 0 insulation!

Thanks again! Loving the site and the info contained within....

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    From what you're describing, it sounds like your setup should work just fine. It's a lot easier (especially if you're using a pad) to use your sleeping bag as a quilt by unzipping it and laying it on top of yourself rather than getting in the bag and laying down, while trying to keep the pad where you need it.

Hammock
    DIY DL Channel end Sewn Poly
    Tarp
    Walwrld sq,B/R.non
    Insulation
    Cman S/B alteredUQ
    Suspension
    strpwks/rope/rings
    The surprising thing for me was this: Made a stand to hang from in my bedroom. Room temperature was around 73F shown by my clock/calendar/thermometer thing. Felt comfy enough, fell asleep. Darned if I didn't wake up cold. Grabbed the blankie and put it over me. Fell asleep again....... Woke up with CBS, at 73F no less. Weird. Had a small fan blowing the air in the room around, so that could have been it. Used the blankie half under-half over myself with no problem.
    Had opposite problem also. Same temperature(mostly) but used a multi-chambered self-inflating matress under me,(basic designs maxim equalizer. This thing has to be 3"thick) with blankie over me woke up with sweaty back. Tried a "coleman" 20F rectangle bag just lying in the hammock, me on top, blankie draped over that. Warm, didn't wake up, and did not get sweaty. Guess I'm a cold sleeper.
    Oh. As far as the zip up the bag to the knees stick yer feet in and drape the rest over the top part. Very nice. More to bunch up/tuck under/whatever. I have slept in a sleeping bag of some variety for about 20years now, even lying on a bed(used to, gave up) couch, or before my hammock in the house bit in the la-z-boy. My "summer" bag was a pendelton type woolen blanket bought in mexico. (the ones you can buy in TJ for $5 or so with the fringe on the ends that look a little like dreadlocks) I folded it in half lengthwise, and stitched across the bottom, and about 2.5' up the open side. That is also the "blankie" mentioned above.
    When I was very young, my parents would take me camping. My Mom's biggest issue after, would be trying to take my sleeping bag back to put back into storage. I'd get it out, she'd put it back, ad nauseum. After many weeks of this, she let me keep it in the house, and use it year-round. I loved the campfire and pine tree smell that was on the bag and everything else camping related. People here should understand. And, then the issue was wearing socks to bed also. I'd wear them, mom would come by to tuck me in and ask if I was wearing socks. I'd lie, she'd take them. That routine turned into, "tuck the kid in, hold out the hand to confiscate the contraband socks, Kiss, and shut the light out" nightly ritual for a while. That too was forgotten with a little time. Yup, I still wear socks to bed.
    I'll get into the story of "using dad's barbecue grill to make wood campfires in the front yard to cook wieners later".
    I know it probably strayed, and I rambled on, but hopefully not too much so.

Hammock
    Dutchwear Banyan Bridge
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing

Staying warm in Minnesota

I live in Minnesota, and just got back from an Isle Royale backpacking trip. The temperatures on Isle Royale are much cooler than on land in Minnesota. Interesting side note: Isle Royale is closer to Canada, than the US, but part of the US; Closer to Minnesota that Michigan, but part of Michigan. I had a 30 degree bag, with a thin CCF pad underneath, and was warm the whole trip. I know one of the nights got down to around 40, so you should be great. The pad underneath makes the big difference. I am still debating about going to an underquilt, but with your pad and bag you noted, you should be fine. Have fun !

• + New Posts