Newbie Question - Kids

Hi

I'm new to this forum and whilst it looks like a great site I am struggling to find info for my particular needs.

I am pretty much geared up to backpacking light with my 7 year old son in UK where we have to rely on the fact it's going to rain.

I have just purchased a second hand HH Hennessy Ultralight asym for myself but was wondering what would be the best bet for my son.

Is a regular sized hammock suitable for a small child, or do I need to look at something different. In fact is a hammock even suitable for a 7 year old child.

I presume that it would be possible to use a tarp to cover 2 hammocks, but was wondering what would be the correct sized tarp to buy. I do have a 8 x 10 tarp but I would imagine this is going to be too small

Thanks in advance for any replies received.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My kids have hammocked with me for about 5 years now. Usually in their own hammock underneath the same tarp as me. My younger son started in a kid-sized hammock but now uses normal hammocks (just turned 10). At 7, you may save some weight by making a kids hammock but it won't last long...if you're not into DIY, I'd just buy him a normal hammock. You can cut some weight by getting him a single layer 1.1 oz though.

I usually try to hang us from the same tree at the foot end, and a tree with 1-2' diameter at the head end. I just wrap around the tree so that my hammock comes off of one side and his comes off the other side, giving our shoulders about a foot of separation. Sometimes we hang from different trees at the head end.

Several pictures of our setups here:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPictures.html
    http://www.tothewoods.net/KikingWithKids.html
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    It all depends on the child, but most love it. Try a test hang in the backyard or near home, in case they are scared or it doesnt work out. That way you can retreat to the house. My kids are a little older, but they are always climbing into mine.
    My kids say the gentle sway and cacoon feeling is very soothing. I think thats why we are all drawn to hanging. If you can hang the new hammock up and let them experiment with it, possibly inside the house, they will be sleeping in it soon enough.
    Just be careful how many kids you invite over.
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...N%26start%3D40
    Make sure they are comfortable and warm. And you stay close-by, nothing worse than waking in the middle of the night and mom or dad are gone. My kids play so hard on camping trips, that they sleep forever. Make it fun and keep short as far as distances hiked. Getting them excited about the trip is the most fun. Pack a small bag with their stuff, hammock ,clothes, blankie and a small comfort item from home (teddy-bear,doll, favorite pillow). Let them carry their own stuff. Give them a few responsibilities, chores to take care of. That way they can be involved, and wont feel its "your" trip, it is "our" trip.
    Dont over do it the first few times out, a night here or there, then build on the experience. Let them look at HF and show the pictures of all the cool places they can see, my kids are liking that.
    Keep it simple, keep it fun, keep it comfortable. ENJOY
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Some folks will double hang from the same tree. This is easier if the bugnet is removeable but it is still possible depending on the kids. Parent hangs fairly low and kid hangs ladder style up overhead. The same tarp can be used quite easily then unless you are dealing with horizontal torrential rain... in which case you might be better off bagging the hang and heading home if the child is going to get freaky.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I've always given my kids (now 7, 9, 11) their own full sized hammock and tarp just a very short distance away from me. I'm readily available to chat with, tuck them in, help them in or out, retrieve stuffed animals, or whatever. They've become accustomed to the setup.

I've tried hanging closer to them (3 trees, etc.), but always had difficulty with tarp coverage. It's just easier to spread out, imo.

They sleep great. Last campout, I had to wake my 9 yr old after she slept in past 10:00.

I think if you're comfortable, they'll be comfortable.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post

I usually try to hang us from the same tree at the foot end, and a tree with 1-2' diameter at the head end. I just wrap around the tree so that my hammock comes off of one side and his comes off the other side, giving our shoulders about a foot of separation. Sometimes we hang from different trees at the head end.

A quick thank you to all that have responded so far. However I have chosen Jeff's suggestion as it sort of sits in the middle

I believe I am correct in thinking that the HH Ultralight asym comes with attatched tarp which I trust is removable on a temp basis. So if I were talking about 2 HH Ultralight asym's what 1 tarp size would be needed to cover both in the above scenario.

Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Ditch one of the stock tarps for double trips and buy a MacCat or similar. We can both fit safely under a MacCat Standard under most conditions, but get a Deluxe if you want more coverage. I always bring him a tarp in case we can't hang from the same tree, in case we need more storm/wind protection on one side, etc. Sometimes we hang up the extra one anyway just to have a larger covered area.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Ditch one of the stock tarps for double trips and buy a MacCat or similar. We can both fit safely under a MacCat Standard under most conditions, but get a Deluxe if you want more coverage. I always bring him a tarp in case we can't hang from the same tree, in case we need more storm/wind protection on one side, etc. Sometimes we hang up the extra one anyway just to have a larger covered area.
    Jeff thanks for that. I recently imported from US Gossamer Gear SpinnTwin Tarp which is a great piece of kit. I could really do with saving my money and using that. Do you have any experience with that tarp? I'm kind of looking to use the SpinnTwinn together with one stock HH to cover most situations following on from your suggestions, but do you think I'll get away with the SpinnTwinn on it's own. I note the MaCats are cut differently so I can't just be guided by size.

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/...inn-Twinn.html
    Last edited by Lyrrad; 07-07-2009 at 22:47.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I don't have experience with that particular tarp, but based on the dimensions I think it's doable. Worst case, you hang the hammocks separately under their own tarps, or pitch one hammock very close to the ground and let the kids sleep on the ground under you.

• + New Posts