SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett

In search of the perfect bug net...

I currently have a wilderness logics bug net. It works fine, but is difficult to set up/take down. The zipper always seems to end up on the wrong side too. Makes me want to try a Fronky-style.

What I really want is a tube-style net with a very large opening at one end so it is easily slid over the hammock/quilts and potentially even me while in the hammock. This would allow me to remove it when not in use, or only do a 1/2 net if desired.

I looked at the HUG but I often toss during sleep, so Im unsure if it would stay put. I like the option for a full net too, esp on hot days spent napping.

If there isnt anything readily available, I was going to ask BIAS to make a buginator with a large opening at one end, say 18-24".

Ideas?

Hammock
    11 ft Dutch
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 season New River
    Suspension
    Straps, Whoopies
    Images
    I have seen a plan for, maybe I dreamt it, but can no longer find it. It was a fronkey style with the cinch cord on the bottom, but in stead of taper cutting and sewing both sides you only taper cut and sew one side and the other side had a cinch cord on it as well. It seemed like what you are looking for. I will look for the plans again, since I am looking to make a bug net as well and want the same things that you do.

Hammock
    DIY wide tablecloth
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I like my Knotty version... simple, easy to make, easy to get in/out/install/takedown... works great.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...tatched-Bugnet

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by GDM View Post
    I like my Knotty version... simple, easy to make, easy to get in/out/install/takedown... works great.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...tatched-Bugnet
    Never seen that design. It fits what I am looking for! For the majority of my camps that would work great as its only the occasional skeeter or black fly. Only concern is that during the spring, black fly season is so bad you can swim through them. Does the hammock make a good enough seal to keep them out?

JToon, let me know if you find it. I wouldn't be opposed to making my own gear, Im just lazy.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by JToon View Post
    I have seen a plan for, maybe I dreamt it, but can no longer find it. It was a fronkey style with the cinch cord on the bottom, but in stead of taper cutting and sewing both sides you only taper cut and sew one side and the other side had a cinch cord on it as well. It seemed like what you are looking for. I will look for the plans again, since I am looking to make a bug net as well and want the same things that you do.

Dream Hammock Bug Sock may be what you're looking for as far as buying one pre-made?

If you are interested in DIY. I DIY'ed a Fronkey style net with Omnitape on one side that can do exactly what you're talking about, I believe. It works perfectly. You setup the hammock with the bugnet still in the double ended stuffsack, put your quilts in and what not. Slide the bugnet on and off as you like.

Hammock
    DIY wide tablecloth
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by chapinb View Post
    Never seen that design. It fits what I am looking for! For the majority of my camps that would work great as its only the occasional skeeter or black fly. Only concern is that during the spring, black fly season is so bad you can swim through them. Does the hammock make a good enough seal to keep them out?

JToon, let me know if you find it. I wouldn't be opposed to making my own gear, Im just lazy.
    It seals fine once you get in the hammock. The weights in the corners pull it down. Might be a problem in a really narrow hammock, or if you hang your arm/leg/head off the side of the hammock... :-)

Hammock
    Lite Owl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/toggles

In search of the perfect bug net...

Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    Dream Hammock Bug Sock may be what you're looking for as far as buying one pre-made?
    ^^^this^^^
    I picked up a bug sock recently and it is exactly what you described. It is made to your specifications as well

Hammock
    11 ft Dutch
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 season New River
    Suspension
    Straps, Whoopies
    Images
    This is kind of the design I was talking about. The only difference is there was a cinch on the bottom as well.

http://sticksblog.com/hammockin/2932-2/

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ified-Bug-Sock

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    Thanks for the ideas guys! You have inspired me to sew my own rather than buy. Ill start with the knotty version and see how I like it. Would be easy to change it to a modified fronk if I dont like how it lays.

• + New Posts