Dream Hammock, WBBB 1.1 DL and DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly & Tadpole
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Strap

Looking for a place to hang - Page Arizona

I'm taking a long road trip back west with my sons and I'm looking for a place to hang our hammocks...probably somewhere around Page Arizona. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Bill

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillnGA View Post
    I'm taking a long road trip back west with my sons and I'm looking for a place to hang our hammocks...probably somewhere around Page Arizona. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Bill

Lived in Oracle Arizona back in early 2001, and the Mogollon Rim, Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest, AZ area is a good place to hang and overlook the vista.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explo...c&user=4938723

This image is not mine, and is a good representation of what the area looked like back in 2001.

Hammock
    WBRR/WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'm afraid hanging in Page is severely limited.

I built three hammock stands and camped with my wife and 4 year old on the beach of Lake Powell (West side of Gunsight Bay). It worked out great until the wind started (didn't expect that much wind in September) and proved to be too much for the hammock stands. We spent a couple nights there but ended up packing up a couple days early and headed into the woods up by Flagstaff (2 hrs away but on the way home) to finish off the trip.

Because of that trip, we got into a houseboat group this year. Houseboats are the way to go on Lake Powell. Some even have canopies capable of supporting a hammock, but not ours, so we slept on the roof of the houseboat in the next best thing. A lovesac!
    Do what needs to be done when it needs doing.

Images
    Only place I could find to hang my hammock in Page was on a houseboat. Bring your going to ground gear.

Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog
    Someone has an avatar of hanging on a boat with a background of red slick rock.

Approaching Page from the south, trees are near Flagstaff AZ, elevation about 7000', and from Jacob Lake to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, 8000'. In between those high places is the treeless Painted Desert on the Navajo Reservation. When you do get near the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, you can camp in the national forest outside of the national park entrance, but it is quite cool there due to the high altitude.

Look at a map for Highways 89 and 89A, one in Utah and one in Arizona. In Arizona, the highway is closed just south of Page. The highway slumped in one spot where it ascended a cliff. Near Tuba City Az, you choose whether to go towards Page or towards Jacob Lake and the North Rim.

Ten miles from Page, visit the Grand Staircase/Escalante National Monument interpretive center in tiny Big Water Utah. If Merle is working, by the end of your visit, you will want to return to school to be a paleontologist. That is the location of the National Geographic dinosaur article last month. The diorama in the nondescript steel building is okay, but talking with the interpretive staff was very good. For your kids, it isn't often that they can take a Nat. Geo. magazine to show and tell. The bad news is they will not take you to where they are digging up the fossil dinosaur bones, it is all just stories and pictures about the digging.

Depending on your other destinations, the Grand Canyon's North Rim village is smaller and quieter than the South Rim, with no mandatory crowded bus rides, and you can camp outside of the park entrance in a forest service campground or east of the highway for free. Look for the turnoff to East Rim View in the Kaibab National Forest, not to be confused with East Rim Drive on the South Rim of GC. You can camp past, but not at East Rim View.

Do get your groceries in Page or Kanab before heading there. Some of those named places on the map (Jacob Lake) are just a seasonal cafe and a gas station, but the Forest Service information place next door to the cafe is good.
    Last edited by heyyou; 07-12-2014 at 22:13.

Hammock
    WB BB DL 1.7oz
    Tarp
    SuperFly/Oware
    Insulation
    KAUQ,WBurrowTQU,PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Use the Rock and Crevasse method if you cannot find trees in the desert.
    The Older I get, the Faster I use to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome77 View Post
    Use the Rock and Crevasse method if you cannot find trees in the desert.
    Where can I get more info on that? I do a LOT of desert hiking, and am just moving into hammocks. I've assumed I would need to (ugh!) take my tent in the desert.

Hammock
    WB BB DL 1.7oz
    Tarp
    SuperFly/Oware
    Insulation
    KAUQ,WBurrowTQU,PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Put your tree strap around a smaller rock or good stick, slide down into rock crevasse. Like a wedge anchor. Larger bush to rock wall, in between boulders. Sometimes you need to get creative, two poles in a inverted "V" to raise the strap hight. Page is Canyon Land, right.

Hammock
    WB BB DL 1.7oz
    Tarp
    SuperFly/Oware
    Insulation
    KAUQ,WBurrowTQU,PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Search the forum post I believe this has been discussed.

Hammock
    WBRR/WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    If you are not dead set on Page, I would HIGHLY recommend going to Havasupai. You could not ask for a better hammocking experience! A truly magical place with a perfect campground for hammocks. If you don't have the time to hike in, helicoptor rides are available. If you do go, don't just see Havasu and Mooney Falls, spend a day hiking down to the Colorado River. I personally enjoyed that hike even more than the falls.
    Do what needs to be done when it needs doing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast