Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Not Seeing It Right?

I just got my hammock in, Blackbird. Without any question it looks like top notch building quality...

So I eagerly set it up with many many references to the net and to the forum on getting it right. After finding the right tree's, getting the ridge line sitting nice, adjusting 15 times to get the hammock centered, loose yet not too lose, sitting high on the foot side but not too far...I jump in.

All I can focus on is the tight feeling across the center of the hammock. I can't find a comfortable point. Albeit the wife was holding the shelf shock cords to simulate since we don't have tent pegs yet...and I just can't find a comfortable point. So we trade spots and she has the same issue...just no comfortable spot, just that tight uncomfortable 'line' down the center of the hammock and being able to only focus on it.

Yes first time setting up...about an hours worth of toying with it. Though this isn't rocket science, but maybe I'm missing something...but I wonder if I'm not a hanger at heart after all? Maybe diagonal doesn't work for me? I was so damned excited and this first round really...wasn't that exciting, first time experience and fighting with it taken into account before lacking excitement.

Anyone care to enlighten me? I don't want to start feeling like this was a terrible mistake. I've done piles of reading...and I've though this whole time there was this beautiful little pocket you fit into that feels incredible that your back and body feel just perfect in...but I can't see it yet. I'll give it another try tomorrow...

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    Hi Dark!

Sorry to hear that things aren't working completely smoothly. We'll all do our best to get you sorted out.

Sometimes a picture's worth a thousand words. Could you get your wife to take a couple of pictures of you in the hammock? First off, one looking at you from the hammock opening (with the netting open), and then one from the outside of the hammock (footbox side) that shows the bottom of the hammock?

You'll get it! And if it turns out that you just hate hammocks, your Blackbird won't take long to find a new owner if you choose to sell.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Could you also add a two photos of the BB before you're in it, specifically one showing the hang and one showing the ridgeline (which should be untensioned).
    I my Warbonnet

K, I'll do that later on this evening or tomorrow...

Pictures inside and out yeah? And the ridge line was untensioned, she made sure that was right.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    my first guess would be it was hung too tightly. The sag issue is conter=intuitive. Look at the suspension lines/webbing and check if they are between 30-40* off horizontal. When you look at it you say to your self, "Self... that can't be right! That's banana time." but that is what allows the fabric to displace properly to give you a good hang.

Unless of course when you say the ridgeline was untensioned you mean that is was loosey-goosey before you got in. Ridgelines should be hung taut, ie not droopy, but not banjo picking tight. Looking forward to the pics.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    banjo picking

RUUUUUUN!

Yep, we need pictures. Although, I honestly can't imagine what would cause the fabric in the center to feel tight. Even if the ridgeline wasn't tight enough or was too tight. It's gotta be something because that is not an ordinary issue with the Blackbirds. This should be a fun mystery to work-out.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    what part of your body do you feel the ridge under?

there shouldn't be very much ridge down the center. you might need to "kick" the fabric a little to make sure it gets spread out evenly under you. with the sides staked, you should be laying diagonal with your feet to the right in the foot box and your upper body should be pretty far left with your left shoulder a few inches from the zipper. (i just say with it staked because that will show you how far left you can go with your upper body). some folks do feel a very slight ridge under the knees in the center of end gathered hammocks, some don't feel it at all and those that do it's usually a small issue that is easily corrected by a filled stuffsac under the knees or using a pad as bottom insulation. you shouldn't feel anything like that under your upper body at all. if you do, you're likely not laying far enough over to the side (not laying diagonal enough) as ridge would be in center and your upper body should be over to the left of that.

hanging the hammock too tight can cause more ridge down the center. during setup, the suspension should run at a 25-30 deg angle. when laying down, the rl should be fully extended but not tight.

as a new hanger, you may also need to move around alot at first so you can learn where the sweet spot is and how to get there. eventually it becomes instinctual.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 06-30-2009 at 11:29.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    my first guess would be it was hung too tightly. The sag issue is conter=intuitive. Look at the suspension lines/webbing and check if they are between 30-40* off horizontal. When you look at it you say to your self, "Self... that can't be right! That's banana time." but that is what allows the fabric to displace properly to give you a good hang.

Unless of course when you say the ridgeline was untensioned you mean that is was loosey-goosey before you got in. Ridgelines should be hung taut, ie not droopy, but not banjo picking tight. Looking forward to the pics.
    What Rev said. First thought is: too tight. Put the straps up higher and try it looser, so that when you sit in it the RL is even drooping down just barely. Then usually it will tighten up some more when you actually lay down, and that is tight enough. You can probably hang tighter than that OK, but try the looser approach just for kicks. As long as the ridge line is not hanging down in your face, it is tight enough. ( at least for me, YMMV)

And just to make sure: you are laying on the diagonal, right? With head near the zipper and feet in the foot box on the right side? Plus, a stuff sack with a bit of clothing under your knees?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-03-2009 at 07:35.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Another vote for likely too tight. Anytime I'm feeling less than 100% comfy, a little tension release goes a long way. My ridgeline is barely taut when I'm inside, sometimes even with a little sag. Too tight and the hammock is like a giant wedgie, and you're in the middle. Take a look at Shug's video on the Warbonnet site... at about minute 3 Shug lies down, and you can see how loose everything is, the ridgeline is actually swaying, it definitely ain't tight, at least while he's sitting. Also at about minute 7, you can see that he's hanging even lower than the recommended 30 degree angle... maybe 45 degrees. Moral of the story: loosen up!
    Last edited by deadeye; 06-30-2009 at 20:06.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    gutter nails work instead of tent pegs.

Another vote for looser, also another vote for making sure the fabric is flat under you (no ripples of fabric!)

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast