Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images

DriDucks Poncho Mod w/ BB

Has anyone tried using one of these (ala JRB Mod) with their BB?

I really like the idea and I'm interested in the multi-functionality for both wearable gear and warm summer night exterior coverage.

Has anyone tried folding these and using it between layers for your lower 1/3 with a 2/3 UQ? My pack is lightly framed (Osprey Exos) so laying on that isn't an option. Trying to avoid carring a seperate 1/3 foam pad.

Any experience or suggestions would be great. Really enjoying the forum!

HobieCat

Hammock
    nano hammock w/ridge
    Tarp
    wb spinn edge
    Insulation
    yeti & jrb torso
    Suspension
    whoopie
    i've been using my jrb driducks poncho mod installed the "full" jrb way with a jrb torso length uq, above 40 degrees, and have been very happy. i think the creation of the dead air space below the hammock is more useful than folding the poncho and lying on it would be...

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    i've been using my jrb driducks poncho mod installed the "full" jrb way with a jrb torso length uq, above 40 degrees, and have been very happy. i think the creation of the dead air space below the hammock is more useful than folding the poncho and lying on it would be...
    So what is the "full" JRB mod? I know most of the JRB stuff is a little tailored towards the HH. Did you have to alter it for your BB?

Looks like attachments on all four corners, a pull-thru running the length of the bottoms to cinch it and center hammock tie-offs... If I'm not mistaken? I'm considering ordering the poncho and DIY as long as there's no need for a sewing machine.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HobieCat View Post
    So what is the "full" JRB mod? I know most of the JRB stuff is a little tailored towards the HH. Did you have to alter it for your BB?

Looks like attachments on all four corners, a pull-thru running the length of the bottoms to cinch it and center hammock tie-offs... If I'm not mistaken? I'm considering ordering the poncho and DIY as long as there's no need for a sewing machine.
    HobieCat, et al,

All of the JRB under quilts will fit all of the known single camping hammocks and most of the ENO style double hammocks, including the WBBB, HH, Speer, Claytors, Clarks, Byers, ENOs etc.... Only the Nest and the Winter Nest were specifically designed for the HH, Yet they will also work on any hammock.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Yeti / Ultra 20
    Suspension
    Straps/Biners
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    Do you have pictures?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokeEnthusiast View Post
    Do you have pictures?
    here is a pic of a DD poncho with a complete JRB mod (the velcro pieces are not used...just he corner attachments) on my BB
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images
    Great pic - thanks.

The poncho looks like it'll more than cover head-toe on the BB. I love multi-purpose gear, I'll be picking one up.

Out of curiuosity, does anyone have an estimated temp rating for the stand alone poncho? Is this merely a "weather shield" or a makeshift HH-SS (minus foam, I realize)? I've got a couple mid-upper 50's nights ahead and I'm wondering whether to leave my UQ behind.

Thanks

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HobieCat View Post
    Great pic - thanks.

The poncho looks like it'll more than cover head-toe on the BB. I love multi-purpose gear, I'll be picking one up.

Out of curiuosity, does anyone have an estimated temp rating for the stand alone poncho? Is this merely a "weather shield" or a makeshift HH-SS (minus foam, I realize)? I've got a couple mid-upper 50's nights ahead and I'm wondering whether to leave my UQ behind.

Thanks
    I have not used it as a stand alone for the simple fact I always have a sit pad with me.
    by itself, the DD poncho really doesn't offer any insulation...stops wind convection I suppose. The general theory is it 'adds' about 10*F of range to whatever insulation your using (by creating dead air between itself and your hammock). So, IF I wanted to assume that was true stand alone, the question would be "Can you sleep without any under insulation at 60-65*F. I know I can't...others can.
    If you carry a thin (1/8 ccf) pad, I would guess you could get to the mid 50's no problem. Again, assuming your not a cold sleeper. A 2/3 length ccf pad would add 2-3oz in weight.

Things to think about
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

• + New Posts