Newbie Question... Pad That Will Work For Both Tent and Hammock Camping?

I am just about done buying gear for my camping/ hiking bag. I have only camped a few times when I was young, and I have never camped in a hammock, so please forgive me if my question is a little stupid.

I plan on buying a WBBB XLC 1.7 DL in the future, but for now I went with a cheap tent as money is very tight. One of the few pieces of camping gear I have left to buy is a sleeping pad. I would like to buy a pad that will not only work for me now while I am tent camping, but one that I will also be able to place in between the layers of my WBBB in the future. I am a big guy, and sleeping well is important to me, so I am currently looking at a 80"x30"x3" sleeping pad. The size is great for me, and it is insulated (whiich is also important to me). What should I be looking for in a pad, so that I know it will work in a WBBB (dimensions or any other considerations)? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, Jarbidge
    There are no stupid questions on this forum, everyone here was a beginner at one time or another, unless someone was hammocking in the womb...which kinda makes sense actually.

In any case, honestly, everyone is different and different pads or combinations of pads work well for some and not so well for others. You are likely to see an array of differing opinions. First, are you car camping or backpacking. If the former no biggie, if the latter, then that pad is quite heavy. The other thing I would be weary of is the 3 inch thickness. To take advantage of the pads full R-value (a measure of its ability to insulate, higher = better) it will generally need to be fully inflated which may or may not affect your lay in the hammock. For some, they find a need to deflate it a bit, which then takes away some of its ability to insulate you. So if that is the case and that one is recommended down to 30-40 and you need to deflate a bit, you might find you will be chilled at the higher end of the range, if not above. A lot also depends on the conditions you plan use the pad in. Many ground sleepers and hammockers have multiple pads, thinner for summer, thicker for winter.

You could always keep an eye out for a used one that will get you through in your tent until you can grab a hammock, then give it a go in the hammock, and if you find it doesn't work, you won't have sunk a ton of money into it and can probably resell it. Alternatively there have been some good discussions here about the neo-air Xtherm and xlite, but they are more expensive.

Again a lot is personal preference through trial and error, which isn't always the most cost effective way.
    Jared

Mid-Atlantic Mountain Works
    www.mid-atlanticmountainworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by bartlax4 View Post
    First, are you car camping or backpacking. If the former no biggie, if the latter, then that pad is quite heavy.
    I would say, it is somewhere in between. Basically, my job for the past four years has been hiking through the forest, with a fully loaded pack, for a utility company. So, I know I can carry a heavy load. Also, I will be spending my time relaxing mostly, not trekking long distances.

Quote Originally Posted by bartlax4 View Post
    The other thing I would be weary of is the 3 inch thickness. To take advantage of the pads full R-value (a measure of its ability to insulate, higher = better) it will generally need to be fully inflated which may or may not affect your lay in the hammock. For some, they find a need to deflate it a bit, which then takes away some of its ability to insulate you.
    That makes sense... less air in the pad means less insulation. It makes sense, but wasn't something I thought of Great information, bartlax4!

So, I guess my question right now would be, would that pad (80"x30"x3") fit between the layers of the WBBB and do the job decently until I could purchase something like the Xtherm? I Am a big guy, and I toss and turn like crazy... So in a tent, I really think the less expensive, larger, square Nemo Cosmo 30XL would be the better choice for me.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, Jarbidge
    I am pretty sure it would fit just fine, but a quick double-check with the man in charge (Brandon@WB) would be your safest bet. With a three inch height, even if semi-deflated, yes I think it is going to do a decent job for you, especially if you are heading out mostly in the nicer months. The 30 inch width will be handy as well.
    Jared

Mid-Atlantic Mountain Works
    www.mid-atlanticmountainworks.com

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    if you have trouble with calf ridge then I've found a fully inflated thick pad is pretty helpful in getting rid of it. I don't have that problem in my xlc, and slept with a 1/4 inch thick CCF pad from walmart this past weekend and thought it was much more comfortable than my inflatable pad. This of course would be terrible on the ground, but is only 15 bucks.

I think its harder for me to find a pad I like on the ground than in a hammock. I would buy one that works best for your CURRENT set up and you can always upgrade later.

• + New Posts