Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

whoopies to webbing without toggle; risky?

got an idea......but am not sure of whether it make sense or not....I see many posts about using toggles; and hanging on the KNOT not the toggle.....which made me think...what if I were to eliminate the toggle itself, and made a large stopper knot on the end of the tree strap webbing?

on the other hand, I could just put the whoopie adjustable end to a loop and fix it that way..though I'll need to figure out the tree strap hanging thing if I want to eliminate hardware.......

What say you experienced people?

Hammock
    HH Expl DLX, various DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I used a larks head through the end loop of my webbing straps and then dutch clips around the tree. It's convenient, but I've gone back to using the toggles and knots because it gives me another adjustment point. With having my UCR (or whoopee ) attached to the end of the webbing, I had to get my webbing up really high on the tree to get my hang angle right. With using the toggle-knot method, I can adjust the angle much easier. But that's just my experience. And I'm pretty new to hanging.
    Fill what's empty, empty what's full, scratch where it itches.
    Gal. 2:20

Hammock
    Lite Owl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/toggles

whoopies to webbing without toggle; risky?

Haven't tried this, just thinking, couldn't you larks head the whoopie to the strap at the length of your choosing and tie a knot in the strap at that length? That eliminates the toggle and allows adjustability by tying the knot where it is needed

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I use the Marlinspike Hitch w/Toggle because it allows me to place my whoopee at a consistent distance from the trees from which I hang. The advantage to the MSH vs a stopper knot is that where it is placed along my tree strap varies as the diameter of the tree selected varies. The advantage of the MSH/toggle vs a larks head hitch at the same spot is the ease of removal.

Truth is, I play with a few different ideas every trip but, I find the MSH w/toggle gives me the most consistent hang.

Good Luck and have fun with your experimenting.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

I use a whoopie over a dutch buckle on the tree strap.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by spectactical View Post
    Haven't tried this, just thinking, couldn't you larks head the whoopie to the strap at the length of your choosing and tie a knot in the strap at that length? That eliminates the toggle and allows adjustability by tying the knot where it is needed
    ^
    This.

When I was using whoopie slings, I always girth hitched the fixed eye of the whoopie behind the marlinspike hitch and toggle on the webbing. You would just substitute the MSH and toggle for some other type of knot or hitch in the webbing and girth hitch the whoopie behind it just the same.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Instead of a toggle, I make the MSH in the strap as usual, but instead put in a climbing rated carabiner through the knot instead. Then, I simply clip the end of the whoopie sling through the 'biner. Just as 'adjustable' as the toggle method, but impossible to slip up over the knot (which has happened to me).

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Instead of a toggle, I make the MSH in the strap as usual, but instead put in a climbing rated carabiner through the knot instead. Then, I simply clip the end of the whoopie sling through the 'biner. Just as 'adjustable' as the toggle method, but impossible to slip up over the knot (which has happened to me).
    ^^^ What owl said. Have had a few close calls myself, accidently hanging on the toggle instead of the knot. The MSH with the toggle has to be checked each time you enter the hammock. With a biner, you can turn the hammock upside down, that whoopie is not going to disconnect from the biner and strap once its clipped in. Period.

• + New Posts