Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

3/4 Uq

I will also chime in that i am a 3/4 UQ + pad user. I think it just makes more sense for most 3 season hiking/hanging. I am working on another 1/2 to 3/4 UQ with some lighter materials and a little less down. I would love a sub 10oz UQ.

Looks like I will be ordering another 2lbs of down soon...

Stormcrow

Hammock
    Backwards Warbonnet, Several DIY
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Speak me sometimes upside-down!
    Yes ... you won't be sorry with a 1/2 UQ and short pad. It is truly a wonderful set-up. My 1/2 UQ is 11 ozs with shock-cord and all.
    guhS
    Yes, idea good thinks me.
    "If your head is wax, don't walk in the sun" -Ben Franklin

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    I will also chime in that i am a 3/4 UQ + pad user. I think it just makes more sense for most 3 season hiking/hanging. I am working on another 1/2 to 3/4 UQ with some lighter materials and a little less down. I would love a sub 10oz UQ.

Looks like I will be ordering another 2lbs of down soon...

Stormcrow
    That's right! You ordered a whole lot of down and never posted pictures of the finished products! You should be ashamed, sir.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
    That's right! You ordered a whole lot of down and never posted pictures of the finished products! You should be ashamed, sir.
    Hey .... you can see his UQ on the video: Northern Hang ....7:28 in. Sweet job he did!
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I anguished over the 1/2, 3/4 under quilt vs full length when I designed our Bridge under quilts.

After much computer modeling, I finally learned that I would use only 3.6 oz less down, then have to use 2.8 oz for the GG 3/8" 1/2 length pad for the legs. So my total weight savings would have been 0.8 oz. And we would have lost the option of using both under the legs for really cold conditions where the 5.5" of down loft doesn't suffice.

So I decided to just use the full length under quilt and suffer with the extra 0.8 oz.

This, of course, is with my Bridge Hammock under quilt design where I have minimized the down already. For a gathered end hammock, the difference is obviously much greater since the design has to account for laying on the diagonal, or not.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

DIY rules!

Quote Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
    You are right I should have posted some pictures. I will take some shots of the two quilts that I have made. Since I am going to be making another one very soon I will take some shots of the process. I might change things this time and put the shock cord on the side channels like the Yeti.

Hey .... you can see his UQ on the video: Northern Hang ....7:28 in. Sweet job he did!
    Thank you sir! I wasn't bad for my first differential baffle experience if I do say so myself!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    I anguished over the 1/2, 3/4 under quilt vs full length when I designed our Bridge under quilts.

After much computer modeling, I finally learned that I would use only 3.6 oz less down, then have to use 2.8 oz for the GG 3/8" 1/2 length pad for the legs. So my total weight savings would have been 0.8 oz. And we would have lost the option of using both under the legs for really cold conditions where the 5.5" of down loft doesn't suffice.

So I decided to just use the full length under quilt and suffer with the extra 0.8 oz.

This, of course, is with my Bridge Hammock under quilt design where I have minimized the down already. For a gathered end hammock, the difference is obviously much greater since the design has to account for laying on the diagonal, or not.
    the weight savings comes when you're carrying the pad anyway (as a sit pad/pack frame) that way you're not adding any weight back by using it.

curious, how heavy is your full length bridge uq? good to what temp?

Hammock
    Backwards Warbonnet, Several DIY
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    the weight savings comes when you're carrying the pad anyway (as a sit pad/pack frame) that way you're not adding any weight back by using it.
    This is where I'm at. I tend to carry a 1/2 length pad all the time. I use it for a pack frame, for lounging, to sit on when I'm cooking. It's multi purpose. So, why not incorporate it into my hammock system and shave some weight. I guess I am a gram weenie.
    "If your head is wax, don't walk in the sun" -Ben Franklin

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Shug, I was only teasing... mostly. I always like to see DIY gear. Thanks for the heads up in the video link. I must have missed it the 10 or so times I watched those videos...

Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    You are right I should have posted some pictures. ... I might change things this time and put the shock cord on the side channels like the Yeti.
    I am guilty of not posting pictures of my DIY gear also. While you may have simply forgot, I have been expertly avoiding showing off my tarp and hammock setup. I'll get around to it sometime, but I really want to wait until my next attempt so that they will be (hopefully ) better quality. I'm currently contemplating my first down underquilt (1/2 length), and am probably going to follow suit with the Yeti channels also. I'll post pictures when I'm done, no matter how it turns out...

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post

curious, how heavy is your full length bridge uq? good to what temp?
    My sit pad is way too small to be used for leg insulation, 10"x20". I use an external frame pack, so a pad for the pack is useless for me. Although the sit pad does have a double duty: I use it over the edge of the Bridge when I enter/exit when wearing shorts.

Here's the posting on it.

Empty Shell: 10.20 oz
    down used: 11.55 oz
    Total: 21.75 oz

The loft is 5" to 5.5". According to the formula I have seen that should be good to -20 F

The only comparison I have is the JRB Mt Washington at 28 oz, 15 oz down and 4" thickness (is that the loft or the baffles?)

My under quit is less weight because I was able to design it specifically for a Bridge Hammock. This let me put the down only where it is needed to insulate the occupant.

JRB have a bigger problem in that they need to cover more hammocks and types of hammocks.

The Bridge design helps also in that I can design to cover a much smaller area than would be necessary for a gathered end hammock.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast