DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Grizz is right, back on the 1st page of this thread, the stock BB line with tree straps is the lightest option. The Whoopie Sling will add extra weight to the stock suspension. It would be the weight of about 10 extra feet of cord- roughly 0.8 oz or the weight of 2 SMC rings. For the extra 0.8 oz you get easy adjustability, reliability, no backup knots to worry about, security, quick setup and take down, and a built in drip line.

I'll admit that I am one of those ultralight gram weenies, but I'm taking my medication and I'm much better now! Seriously, I have had issues with the weight of a hammock vs ground shelter, but I've come over to the "dark side" and have decided that the comfort/site versatility/multi-use/LNT aspect of hammocks, more than offsets the few extra ounces.
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBro View Post

I'll admit that I am one of those ultralight gram weenies, but I'm taking my medication and I'm much better now! Seriously, I have had issues with the weight of a hammock vs ground shelter, but I've come over to the "dark side" and have decided that the comfort/site versatility/multi-use/LNT aspect of hammocks, more than offsets the few extra ounces.
    What he said!!! Well put, SlowBro!

Hammock
    Backwards Warbonnet, Several DIY
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Images
    Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who's struggled with the weight issue of the hammock set up. While I don't really think of myself as a gram weenie, I have worked pretty hard the last 4 years or so to get my pack weight down.

One of the areas that I've struggled with is with bottom insulation and the comfort of that. I always carry a small half length pad just for sitting on the ground. I decided it was silly to carry both this pad and a full length underquilt and decided it would make more sense to incorporate the pad into the system. I have a 1.1 double Blackbird and recently bought one of the 40 x 60 x 3/16" pads for it. I thought it worked very well. While not as comfortable as my underquilt, it allowed me to ditch both the underquilt and my camp ground (hanging around the fire) pad.

As my system seems like it's in a perpetual state of evolution, I've decided that a 1/2 or 3/4 length underquilt would make the most sense to go along with my 1/2 length pad. This would also allow me to trade my double layer hammock for a single layer since I use the double layer primarily for holding the pad in place. I haven't crunched the numbers, but I'm guessing I could shave at least a pound off the weight this way.
    "If your head is wax, don't walk in the sun" -Ben Franklin

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by speyguy View Post
    As my system seems like it's in a perpetual state of evolution, I've decided that a 1/2 or 3/4 length underquilt would make the most sense to go along with my 1/2 length pad. This would also allow me to trade my double layer hammock for a single layer since I use the double layer primarily for holding the pad in place. I haven't crunched the numbers, but I'm guessing I could shave at least a pound off the weight this way.
    this is exactly where I've converged (for now ), and for those same reasons. Had been making double-layered hammocks....with the quilt, no need. Make the quilt as small as possible... 1/2 length pad comes into the hammock.

now if you follow this line of thinking through to the end we'll make a bridge hammock hanger out of you. A single-layer bridge uses significantly less material than a gathered end hammock, and your 1/2 length quilt can be narrower and hence lighter because it doesn't have to account for a diagonal. My summer UQ is 48" long, and weighs 8.5 oz. including suspension cords.

Bigger tarps are nice for bridges, but not absolutely necessary. My summer tarp this year is a MacCat Deluxe...

just keep following the dots, connecting them up...

Grizz

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sorry you will not be! Seriously ... you will spend 1/3 or more of your day/night in the hammock and a wee bit more weight for comfort makes sense to me now. I am better rested .... my 51 year old body feels better and my hiking and ground-pounding time is more productive. Plus I just like tweaking and dinking and the whole hammock and components are so fun for me that way. My tents bored me......
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Sorry you will not be! Seriously ... you will spend 1/3 or more of your day/night in the hammock and a wee bit more weight for comfort makes sense to me now. I am better rested .... my 51 year old body feels better and my hiking and ground-pounding time is more productive. Plus I just like tweaking and dinking and the whole hammock and components are so fun for me that way. My tents bored me......
    Shug............ya lost me. I "will not be" what?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Shug............ya lost me. I "will not be" what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Sorry you will not be! ...
    reverse the order You will not be sorry...if you switch to 1/2 or 2/3 length UQs + a short pad.
    And I agree with Shug...shorter UQs offer great weight savings and versitility
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Images
    Ah! He lost me with that cockney speak. Makes perfect sense now. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/DD Travel
    Tarp
    Kathmandu/Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped/DIY UB
    More like "Yoda speak", but I agree with him.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Speak me sometimes upside-down!
    Yes ... you won't be sorry with a 1/2 UQ and short pad. It is truly a wonderful set-up. My 1/2 UQ is 11 ozs with shock-cord and all.
    guhS
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast