Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images

Question Velcro for SS?

Despite having pretty good success with the HH SS, the bungee'd opening makes me nuts. On my last hike I untied the bungee and as expected it gapped and allowed too much air flow reducing warmth. Temps were mid 50's so it wasn't much of an issue.

Has anyone tried putting Velcro or omni tape on the SS opening instead of allowing the bungee to close things up? I find that getting out of the HH already requires me to use my hands to separate the opening, I could just reach thru and undo the SS as well.

Thoughts?
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Despite having pretty good success with the HH SS, the bungee'd opening makes me nuts. On my last hike I untied the bungee and as expected it gapped and allowed too much air flow reducing warmth. Temps were mid 50's so it wasn't much of an issue.

Has anyone tried putting Velcro or omni tape on the SS opening instead of allowing the bungee to close things up? I find that getting out of the HH already requires me to use my hands to separate the opening, I could just reach thru and undo the SS as well.

Thoughts?
    Not quite getting the picture. Are you talking about the ENTRY opening at the foot, the one where you get in and out of the hammock? If so, can you give some details on how it is driving you crazy?

I don't have to use my hands to get out. I just stick a foot through the HH opening and then on through the SS opening and drop through. In fact, my Velcro on the HH has long ago ceased to hold the opening closed. My weight keeps it mostly closed, but the Velcro pops open often on it's own.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    The SS entry at the foot has a thin bungee cord in its hem. This makes the SS and the hammock rise up in the middle when you're in the hammock. I believe the bungee is there to help hold the SS entry closed. It just don't like how it doesn't hang naturally like the hammock would without a SS. Makes putting the pad and SB in more difficult too.

My idea is to use velcro to hold the SS closed and ditch the bungee. After entering you'd have to manually close the SS entry with the velcro because it's not under tension like the hammock is when you lie in it so it won't automatically seal.

Likewise on exit, you'd probably have to manually open the velcro'd SS entry.

In my Explorer getting out always requires the use of hands to open the slot. Between the velcro and the tension on the fabric it is sealed tight. Some people have made jokes about finding yourself standing in your sleeping bag on the ground in the middle of the night. No chance of that happening in my rig.
    Knotty
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    zipper mod.......? problem solved.
    Also, if sticky velcro is a problem, I had some hunting gear that took a tow truck to seperate the velcro. I took a fuzzy towel and rubbed it on the hook side, built up a layer of fuzz, thus reducing grabbing power. Old fuzzy fleece blanket works ,too. Worked good and as equipment ages , just clean fuzz from velcro, returning some strength back to grabbing power. You may have gotten a rogue piece of velcro, turbo-charged.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    2Q/ZQ zipper mod is definitely in my future.

But I guess my complaint is misunderstood. The good velcro seal in the hammock is not the problem. My issues is with how the SS makes the hammock bunch up.
    Knotty
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    knotty... I have not noticed any such problem with my super shelter. Not to say you are wrong... but just that I am not sure I understand what you are refering to. Maybe pics would help. When I amm in my hammock with the super shelter installed the SS opening is closed tight and smooth at least as far as I know.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    I also have the HH SS. I do notice that the SS makes the hammock drape differently than without the SS. I'm sure you notice that the SS opening is slightly offset from the Slit.
    If I understand Knotty correctly... It's the cosmetic appearance of the way the SS makes the hammock look when it's hanging. It does look slightly weird. But as long as the SS does it's job. That's what matters to me.

As for using Velcro instead... It definitely will close the opening, but I think the shock cord is used so that the SS will snug up to the hammock when you are lying in it, preventing the unwanted air gap, as you encountered when you untied the shock cord.

You mentioned the SS rising in the middle when you are in the hammock. It sounds like the SS is too tight on the hammock. Try sliding the each ends down an inch.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    knotty... I have not noticed any such problem with my super shelter. Not to say you are wrong... but just that I am not sure I understand what you are refering to. Maybe pics would help. When I amm in my hammock with the super shelter installed the SS opening is closed tight and smooth at least as far as I know.
    Correct. The SS works just fine...when you're in the hammock. My nitpick is how the SS pulls up when you're not in the hammock. It bunches up and lifts the hammock down the centerline. I'll search my pics to see if I have something to explain it better.
    Knotty
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB1520 View Post
    I also have the HH SS. I do notice that the SS makes the hammock drape differently than without the SS. I'm sure you notice that the SS opening is slightly offset from the Slit.
    If I understand Knotty correctly... It's the cosmetic appearance of the way the SS makes the hammock look when it's hanging. It does look slightly weird. But as long as the SS does it's job. That's what matters to me.

As for using Velcro instead... It definitely will close the opening, but I think the shock cord is used so that the SS will snug up to the hammock when you are lying in it, preventing the unwanted air gap, as you encountered when you untied the shock cord.

You mentioned the SS rising in the middle when you are in the hammock. It sounds like the SS is too tight on the hammock. Try sliding the each ends down an inch.
    I'll try your suggestion loosening the SS.
    Knotty
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB1520 View Post
    That's why I was wondering what the issue is. I don't know if it an appearance issue or a performance issue. Of course I could be wrong. Additionally I also wondered if it was installed properly.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast