DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Down jacket as underquilt?

Howdy folks! I am putting together my first backpacking setup together basically from scratch. I'm trying to go as light as reasonable (will sacrifice some weight for comfort if the ratio is right). One way I am trying to do that is to find as many items with multiple uses as possible.

My main bottom insulation will likely be a JRB torso pad, as most of my camping will be in FL and south GA during spring/summer/early fall where it stays (sometimes well) above 70 at night. But for nights/locations where it gets a bit cooler (but not toooooo cold), is it possible/reasonable to use a puffy down jacket as an underquilt? Please note that I don't mean convert a down jacket or two into an underquilt, but use an actual down jacket that I would wear during hikes/at camp as a 1/2 underquilt to supplement the pad.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing w/ rings
    I could foresee cold spots where the armholes are, but if you're just using it to cover under your legs or something it might be fine. I'd recommend trying it out in your backyard or while car camping with backup bottom insulation handy.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Some people zip their down jackets over their hammock and feet. I thought Shug had it in a video, but I've been unable to find it.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Yes it should be possible, but it will take some tweaking and testing. I recently did the same thing to supplement my summer UQ. Here's a link to a thread I started about it: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...a-Auxillary-UQ!

If you have a similar jacket then you just need some shock cord and mitten hooks or pack hooks for suspension. If yours isn't set up like mine then you'll have to add some tabs to the corners for your suspension. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to test it as an aux UQ or as a standalone UQ so I can't attest to how well it works. I know it seals up well to my partial UQ but I don't know how it would seal up on its own, so that's where you'll have to do some tweaking and testing. Your idea definitely has merit though so give it a try.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Exped combi or K-mart special
    Tarp
    stock Exped
    Insulation
    puffer jackets
    Suspension
    python straps
    I am sure that you should be able to make this work. I never got around to converting my JC Penney puffer jackets into an underquilt or topquilt and they have been keeping me warm into mid 50 degree temps. For bottom insulation you will need a way to hold it onto the bottom of the hammock. My way of just stuffing between two hammocks wouldn't be the best solution for backpacking. Since I got mine for $5.00 a piece, a bought multiples. I find that I am toasty warm wearing two as a top quilt by putting on one on backwards with my arms through the sleeves and wearing a second one backwards and upside down on my legs with my legs through the sleeves.

For the bottom insulation, I will put 2 or 3 in between my hammocks and they will end up shifting around, but still keep me warm. There was only one night that I was cold (think it was mid 40's) and I ended up supplementing with a yoga mat inside the hammock which totally solved the problem.

Hammock
    diy hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY sil-argon
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks

Like this.
    I'd quote a certain book, but that is not allowed.

Hammock
    BIAS WW, DIY
    Tarp
    Toxaway, Tadpole
    Insulation
    Phoenix,Yeti, Bag
    Suspension
    WB Adj.,or Whoopie
    Images
    Yes! I took a JCP 3XL puffer quilt and added channels made with bias tape on the bottom inside and top inside of jacket. Ran shock cord through them, and it makes a great asym underquilt. Very toasty, the downy goodness feeling comes right into your back quickly, have not tried it below 50 degrees though. No issues with the sleeves, they just fold inside across the center and add some more insulation. a 4XL would probably cover a little better but I look dorky enough in camp with the #XL coming almost down to my knees!

Good luck!
    Beth

• + New Posts