Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    JRB-Mt. Washington

No Trees - How do you go back to the ground?

I'm sure this has been covered several times but I'm a total convert to my BB Hammock and I'm not sure I can go back to the ground. My family wants to plan a trip to the Grand Canyon but I've read on here that trees are limited....

I'm not ready for the ground again.... I might have to pass that trip up. What do you all do?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Learn to make chocks out of rocks to wrap the straps around and hang from rock walls or big boulders?

Use your tarp and a couple of pads on the ground... rent a tent... cowboy camp in good weather... as miserable as it sounds.

It also depends on where in the Grand Canyon you are going. There are trees out there as well, just not as many as there are in the mountains.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    JRB-Mt. Washington
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    Learn to make chocks out of rocks to wrap the straps around and hang from rock walls or big boulders?
    I like this idea... I guess I'm just being a spoiled "hammock" entitlest ~whining the entire time ~ I don't wanta go to the ground~...

You all are awesome to read here and checking this place out everyday keeps me motavated to get out even in the hot months.

Are there other places you all can think of that are prohibited for hammocks? We don't have to go to the Canyon, it's just what my family is recommending. I'm trying to counter with a hammock friendly place.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ENO Pronest
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 Zeppelin
    Quote Originally Posted by cashley550 View Post
    Are there other places you all can think of that are prohibited for hammocks? We don't have to go to the Canyon, it's just what my family is recommending. I'm trying to counter with a hammock friendly place.
    Depending on where you are in GC there are plenty of places to hang. I was a river guide down there for 4 years and I have hiked 75% of the trails. You will love it if you get to go.

Check out the Bryce/Zion/Escalante area of southern Utah. That area is simply amazing. The North Rim of the Grand Canon has a lot of trees and is pretty spectacular as well.

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

I go the ground

There will be NO hammock sites in the corridor camp grounds. In threshold areas there are a few places for a solo person to hang. You can always find a place to hang in the other areas, but usually for solo hangers and those place might not be good for tent sites.

I carry an air/ground kit in the Canyon:

UL Traveller hammock,
    Speer SPE,
    Big Agnes 60" mummy Insulated Air Core pad,
    MacCate Deluxe fly,
    Two 30 foot 1" webbing straps and JRB triglides,
    One #5 cam.

I only take my hammock on solo trips into the Canyon.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Do a search here for hanging with climbing nuts, too. I wish I had bookmarked the cool pics of someone hanging from boulders in the scottish highlands where there are no trees.

I can sympathize, I'm going alpine with a group of tent dwellers and hoping I don't have to resort to heading further up the trail to subalpine areas... but I will if it's within eye line and there's nowhere to hammock near them. My fallback will be the ccf pad and tarp on the ground setup. My appeal to them is to find shade and shelter from high altitude winds below treeline.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    I wish I had bookmarked the cool pics of someone hanging from boulders in the scottish highlands where there are no trees.
    Your wish is granted. Link
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Ugh!
    I'm going to have the same problem soon enough. I want to go to the Canyon, but I have this rule about the ground and it's causing some internal debates. Looking forward to what you decide is the solution, but I suspect the ground is going to be the price for a cool trip.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whatever it takes to get out of the house, away from work and house chores I would do. Even in my tarp-tent. To me it is like leaving my Sleep Number Bed at home and sleeping in a hotel bed. Oh ... sacrifice!!!!
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    JRB-Mt. Washington
    Well I guess the Canyon is still on provided we get our permits... I'm taking the Blackbird anyway it goes and I'll just bivy with it if I have too. I'll need to add a pad to my sleep system as I was just getting used to not carrying one and just using my toasty underquilt.

• + New Posts