DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

BIAS vs. Dream

Howdy folks! I am trying to decide on my first serious camping hammock, and I've narrowed the choice down to two manufacturers: Butt-in-a-Sling and Dream Hammock. Both seem to get rave reviews here, and both have hammocks that meet me needs. I'm looking for a very lightweight, 11' long, 60" wide hammock with the option of a double layer (though I may end up deciding on single layer). Most of my camping will be done in Florida/north Georgia where bugs are a major issue, so bug protection is important. I'm looking at the following three setups (including only hammock, suspension, and bug protection). Costs (including shipping) and weights assume single layer, but the relative differences between the three choices stays basically the same for double layer models.

BIAS Weight Weenie Micro
    Whoopie slings, 6' tree straps, toggles
    Half Bug Net by Arrowhead
    Cost: $149.27
    Weight: 16.1 oz

DH Free Bird
    Half Bug Net by Arrowhead
    Cost: $130.49
    Weight: 17.4 oz

DH Roaming Gnome
    Integrated full length bug net
    Cost: $185.50
    Weight: 19.1 oz

My understanding is that based on current workloads, DH hammock is likely to ship 3-4 weeks later than BIAS. However, I will be out of state and unable to use the hammock during much of that window, so my first possible date of use will likely be the same with either hammock.

I basically have two questions:

1) Any general thoughts on the difference in quality between the two companies?

2) Do you believe the extra features of the Roaming Gnome are worth ~$55, 1.7oz, and the loss of the ability not to pack the bugnet, over the Free Bird setup?

Thanks!

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird DL 1.8 Blue/Black
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ (Synth)
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    As far as comparison I don't know as I haven't tried any of them. However I do think that not being able to leave behind the integrated bugnet, especially for you living in Florida, is not a big deal. I know I'm getting a Thunderbird, but I would have been fine with a Roaming Gnome as well.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    They both make quality hammocks.

I don't know if the Half Bug Net will work for you in Florida. The HUG depends on keeping your top quilt in place as part of the bug protection, which might be a challenge in the Florida heat. When I'm hot, I involuntarily kick my top quilt off. I use a NanoBuginator for 360 degree bug protection. I used to use a Weight Weenie Micro but I'm now using a BIAS Hiker Lite since I prefer a sturdier material. I'm fine with a 9.5 oz. hammock and 7 oz. bugnet.

I personally do not like integrated bugnets or zippers. However, the vast majority of people seem to prefer them. It's a personal choice.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The HUG depends on keeping your top quilt in place as part of the bug protection, which might be a challenge in the Florida heat.
    I will most likely use a Sea-to-Summit Coolmax bag liner with Insect Shield as my main top insulation until at least September, maybe October. I won't be able to kick it off, and it should keep bugs away from the part of my body that isn't covered by the net.

Hammock
    several
    Tarp
    HG CF+doors
    Insulation
    down UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    simple
    snip/
    Quote Originally Posted by WaffleBox View Post
    ...it should keep bugs away from the part of my body that isn't covered by the net.
    /snip

Should?
    Or will?
    Do you know anyone who has been successful with such a setup in similar conditions?

I would not bet on this.... HUG and Florida do not go together well.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I do not personally know anybody who has used the liner. The various reviews I have read online have all been glowing, including one guy who claims to have hiked through the jungles of Cambodia with no bug protection other than this piece of gear, and got no bites. Probably exaggerated, but still seems promising. I did post another thread on this forum asking for opinions, but have only received one reply which was not even about the gear itself.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WaffleBox View Post
    I will most likely use a Sea-to-Summit Coolmax bag liner with Insect Shield as my main top insulation until at least September, maybe October. I won't be able to kick it off, and it should keep bugs away from the part of my body that isn't covered by the net.
    I wouldn't call that insulation. The product description says, "A climate control travel liner specifically designed for warm or humid conditions."
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I wouldn't call that insulation. The product description says, "A climate control travel liner specifically designed for warm or humid conditions."
    I only use a light sheet with the ceiling fan turned on when sleeping in my bed down to about 65, and have been using a lighter sheet than that on top during my in-bedroom hammock test sleeps the past couple of nights with A/C at 71 and ceiling fan on. I anticipate that it will be fine for the next few months anyway.

I would take a look at Simply Light Designs at http://www.simplylightdesigns.com. I find their hammocks similar to BIAS. Simple, light and competitive with pricing. I just ordered some stuff from Jared and he was great to deal with. Even better, he pretty much shipped within 24 hours. He did a custom bug net for me so I'm sure that you could exchange some ideas and even have him build whatever type of bugnet you're looking for. Saves on shipping!

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I love my WWM, but I WILL have a DH in the not so distant future. 11' x 60" works great for me at 5' 11", but the view (or lack of a fabric "wall") from my SLD Streamliner is awesome.

You can't go wrong with either company, the choice lies with you. Just do yourself a favor and get a full bugnet!!

With the temps you're comfortable in at home, is this in a hammock?? If not, you might be in for a bit of a surprise!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast