DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Buginator vs. DH BugSock

Howdy folks! I am trying to decide between the Buginator and the Dream Hammock BugSock. I'm aware of the differences in how the two work mechanically. But I'm curious about the practical implications of those differences. Is one easier to use than the other? Does one do a better job? Anything else that would be useful for me to know as I make the decision?

Thanks!

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    if you fall out of the hammy using the bugsock, it will rip. you'll probably just go thru the bottom opening on the buginator should you fall.

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    If you have a single layer and aren't using an underquilt it is possible that the persistent buggers can bite your rear in the buginator. Risk is minimal, but if you live is a super buggy area and use a hammock without a quilt or a pad (say hot summer time) then it's something to consider.

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop gathered end
    Tarp
    11' DIY sil hex
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have tried DIY versions of both. Since I had never tried a hammock with a bugnet before I was just going off what I thought I would like. I really wanted to make a bugnet with a zipper but I didn't have a zipper on hand. I found the Fronkey (buganator) style made it really easy to get in and out of the hammock. This quick entry seemed to make it hard for bugs to get in the hammock. I usually use a double layer hammock and never had any issues getting bit. What I didn't like was that when lounging during the day it made the hammock hot. It was also a pain to take off or put on the hammock so when hot I just used a fan on the ridgeline. My DIY version added more bulk and weight then I expected.

I also tried making a bug sock thinking it would cut down on bulk and be easier to go net less. I could not get over the hassle of getting in and out of the hammock. It is not impossible but compared to the Fronkey style it was a pain. I recently repurposed it into sleeves for a tarp.

If I was facing your choice I would go for the nanoseesum version of the buginator, but that's just me.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDmoo View Post
    I also tried making a bug sock thinking it would cut down on bulk and be easier to go net less. I could not get over the hassle of getting in and out of the hammock. It is not impossible but compared to the Fronkey style it was a pain. I recently repurposed it into sleeves for a tarp.
    What made it so difficult? Don't you just uncinch one end, slide it down the ridgeline, and get out?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    When I first got into hammocking I had a Hennessy Expedition and a Byer Moskito Hammock, both with integrated bugnets. I was prone to getting excruciatingly painful calf cramps (always the left calf) in these hammocks. I also tried a WBBB with the same results. When I get a calf cramp, I get immediate relief by standing up. However, I could never find the darned zipper in my moment of panic and pain, which increased the panic.

I'm also a fairly light sleeper and wildlife enthusiast. If a critter comes in my camp, I want to stand up instantaneously to confront/observe the critter rather than cowering in my hammock. You can't do that with a zippered bug net or a sock. You could say I'm a bit claustrophobic, I guess, but when I want to get out of my hammock, I swing my feet out and they hit the ground. Toss the Buginator aside and I am ready for battle.

If I ever get a winter sock, it will also be bottom entry like the Buginator. Some people think I'm silly for placing value on speed of exit in my hammock gear, but if a bear comes into camp, I guarantee you I'll be long gone before others find their zipper or peel back their bug sock.

There's also the stealth value of not having a zipper. If there is an animal sighting to be had, it's probably gone as soon as the animal hears the zipper. So all your camo tarp, quilts and hammock might scream, "You can't see me!" but the zipper screams, "Hey, I'm over here!"

Call me crazy.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts