Tarp
    11/13 cuben
    Insulation
    HG burrow/J-R-B sn
    Suspension
    whoopies/dutchwar

MN>any mn. paddlers

hi all,
    just picked up a Wenona prism solo canoe in graphite/Kevlar layup . it is so beautiful.its name is BLACK BART.
    i am now a paddle hanger.
    never done it before.any suggestions as to where to go camping by canoe,flat water, mid Minnesota.
    over night,week, 4 day? something not bwca.
    well i could use any ideas there to.
    im all geared up and nowhere to go.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl, XLC 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG B/I 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I know you said not BWCA, but its the ultimate place for your setup. As Minnesotans, we are very blessed to have a million acre wilderness area dedicated for paddling right in our backyard. I do three four day kayak trips a year out of Ely. I pick routes with very minimum portages, but If I was going to go deeper in that required more portages, I would use your exact setup. In about four hours of driving your there and paddling. Here is a video of my last trip just a couple of weeks ago:

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7D
    Tarp
    Superfly or DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator +MSS
    Suspension
    Straps or Whoopies
    I made my first trip to BWCA last year (a long haul from PA), and I really liked all of the resources online to help me plan the trip. I'm sure you've got plenty of areas a little closer to central MN. Maybe try contacting some of the local outfitters to see if they can recommend a trip.

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1/1.9 gathered end
    Tarp
    Noah 9 for now
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, pad
    Suspension
    woopies/straps
    St cloud to Clearwater is a nice day or overnight trip, I'm doing a day trip on 29th June , if you are interested also doing a 2 night mid July on st Croix. Always looking for people interested in joining.
    The best things happen at the worse possible time.

It(I) might not be the prettiest thing, however It(I'm) is quite functional.

SON: Dad why do I have to make my bed? It is just going to get messed up again.
    DAD: Why do you wipe your bottom.

Hammock
    Lite Owl/GT SB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I second the St. Croix, great canoe river and excellent smallmouth fishing, Many nice campsites there also.
    You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows~Bob Dylan
    http://carnegies-restaurant.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I just got back from the BWCA trip last night, we didn't go on very big water, only went a few miles in, caught a lot of walleyes and had a blast! You wouldn't need to go on a big water circle route to have fun, even tholugh you do have a water craft that'll do it.

There is a Rum River water trail in the center of the state. I've never been on it, but I've been curious to try it. I'd wait for the water to go down a bit, the Rum is raging a bit right now.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest & DoubleNest
    Tarp
    CCS Tundra Tarp
    Insulation
    Exped pads
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Images
    I'm not sure what you mean by "flat water", but if you're okay with mostly-tame rivers, there are a bunch of state water trails to explore, complete with established campsites, access points, and maps. Closest to you are the North Crow, South Crow, Sauk, Mississippi, Minnesota, and Rum. There are also canoe campsites at eg. Glendalough, Rice Lake, and Savanna Portage state parks. I don't know of any good multi-lake destinations outside of the Superior National Forest - it's either lakes around the boundary waters or rivers elsewhere pretty much.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Nice video! I'm always on lookout for info from those who've kayaked in BWCA. Been there a few times but only in a canoe. I've lately gotten into sea kayaking and am dying to go up again to BWCA or Quetico but want to take in a sea kayak next time. Looking seriously at the Beaverhouse entry for several days around Quetico or Cirrus lake with very little or better yet, no portaging.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx, HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    How about the Timber-Frear route near Tofte, MN? I've never paddled it, but just found it while looking for Sawbill Entry Point info. http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5194285.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by frogpockets View Post
    hi all,
    just picked up a Wenona prism solo canoe in graphite/Kevlar layup . it is so beautiful.its name is BLACK BART.
    i am now a paddle hanger.
    never done it before.any suggestions as to where to go camping by canoe,flat water, mid Minnesota.
    over night,week, 4 day? something not bwca.
    well i could use any ideas there to.
    im all geared up and nowhere to go.
    Hi, I also bought a prism solo. Experienced back packer too. Haven't yet been up to the BWCA but that is my intention Fellow paddle hanger, do you have any interest in a shared adventure? Perhaps a test run near Hinckley St Croix state park? Or maybe just talk shop ... Message me if so.

Derek

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast