Tarp
    MatCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    MW3, JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Straps, Webbing

What do you do if cannot hang?

Ok,

You all may have covered this in-depth somewhere on this forum. My thought are to get a 2 person tent to answer this question.

What do you do if you cannot hang? If not trees, or frame building like where people sit to eat.

Since I am the new guy on the block any knowledge sharing will be appriciated.

LosUno....translation=(Lost One)

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Truly, not being able to hang would be a worst-case scenario. If I couldn't hang, I suppose sepaku would be the most honorable option. Seriously, if I couldn't hang, I'd just sleep under my tarp on the ground in a well chosen spot. But only if I had to, mind you.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    MatCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    MW3, JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Straps, Webbing

That is the answer

Well, I guess that is the answer I needed. But really Sepaku....I mean your guts would hang out so you still would be hanging....

Hammock
    Town's End Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    2 person lightweight backpacking tent. I have a north face model that is light and roomy for one. Rather cramped for two though....
    "It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it"

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goalie View Post
    2 person lightweight backpacking tent. I have a north face model that is light and roomy for one. Rather cramped for two though....
    Blasphemer.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Go on a different trip?

But seriously - where are the threads that start "what if I can't find a place to put my tent?" Because I have always found a place to hang, but the tent dwellers in my group have struggled to find a place to pitch their tents that is not soggy, rocky, uneven, full of poison oak or brambles, or in one of those overused dish shaped areas where you just know previous tenters spent a night soaking in sudden rainfall. I have sometimes intentionally hung in less than ideal places to be near my group and still slept more comfortably than the folks on the ground.

So I tend to feel a little smug when people say, what about alpine? What if you can't find a place? Subalpine trees or large boulders are big enough. And if we're truly alpine, the foam pad, quilt and the tarp pitched on the ground are adequate shelter. You can't put a tent on a hill but you can make a hammock into a bug bivy.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    ID Siltarp 2
    Suspension
    Cord/Straps
    I have to agree with Lori.

Even though I am still awaiting my hammock, my tenting experience is that there are a lot of places where it is hard to find a suitable place for a tent. Drainage, ground uneven, low foliage, social trails. And, if you make a mistake with a tent and put it in a depression - you might end up swimming.

I really think the concern is more about the powers that be, as the other thread discussing hammocks being unwelcome in certain campsites illustrates.

(I have been in a couple high alpine areas where the intended camping areas were in shale/rocky areas, which makes sense as a no trace principle since the shale would be a durable surface, however, a hammocker would have had to backtrack a little to some trees. Every case I can think of would have had trees within sight range. Might be a little disconcerting to be away from the main group that far tho... hopefully I will find out soon enough. Hammock will soon be on it's way to me.... Yippeee!)

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

A place to hang

I can envision some environments...hillsides in Scotland or Rockies above timberline or perhaps high desert in the southwest...where hanging a hammock isn't in the cards because of a lack of attachment points.

Virtually all other scenarios I know, finding appropriate trees is far easier than finding a big flat spot that has no sharp pointy bits...or isn't lower than the ground around it...or isn't poison ivy...or isn't downwind of the latrine...or isn't (well, you get the idea).

IMO, one of the eternal punishments must be sleeping on the ground on a slope with your sleeping pad sliding downhill on the silnylon floor...over and over and over again!!!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Pick a better site.....

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    I can envision some environments...hillsides in Scotland or Rockies above timberline or perhaps high desert in the southwest...where hanging a hammock isn't in the cards because of a lack of attachment points.
    Did you just say that? hillsides in Scotland?

I asked for this link the other day, by golly, I'm gonna use it.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...e.php?i=105&c=

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast