Thread: Tarp Making ?

Images

Tarp Making ?

I'm in the process of making my first hammock setup, and tonight I'm planning on working on the tarp. I got some coated nylon from Walmart, but I pulled it from the remnant bin and am stuck with two pieces. Both pieces are about 62 inches wide, one is about 10' long, and one is about 18.5 ft long. Can anybody offer any ideas on how to make the most of what I've got?

I'm thinking of sewing them together for the full length of the short piece, then trim the edges and resew the triangles i cut off to give me a hexagonal shape, with maybe come cat cuts on the edges.

Alternatively, i'm thinking about going with just the rectangle and then sewing some of the extra material on to the ends that i can use as little storm flaps.

The thing is, I think i might be a little short of the 10 feet with one piece, and the hammock will have a ridgeline of right about 10 feet.

I guess my other option is to have another seam in order to get the length i want. Not pretty, but hopefully functional.

I appreciate any advice.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Are you sure your finished ridgeline on the hammock will be 120" That's pretty long for a ridgeline imo. The largest HH is shorter than that. Tarps are usually measured in nominal length from my experience. In other words a 10 X 10 is that size before it is finished and hemmed. So it is a little shorter than that. If your actual hammock ridgeline is 100" you will have some reasonable coverage if you make the tarp 120" nominally.

Another possibility would be to make a square tarp and hang it from the diagonals. The center seam of the tarp does not run the length of the hammock... but that's not really a big deal if it is sealed well. an additional seam on just one side of the hammock should be functional. Again it would need to be sealed well. A flat felled seam running ridge to edge should be doable. It might not stretch as pretty as an unseamed tarp but then you ain't paying the commercial prices for it either.

Look at the measurements for your whole system and have them work together.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    I was thinking of going long to try to get myself a flatter lay. I'm 6'4" about 330, so there's more of me to fill up that space in the middle. I guess i'll have to do some more experimenting to see where I should be before i do any real cutting.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I've still got some more research to do.

On a side note, I did discover a great "free" suspension system. I've got a Yakima Hullraiser for my kayak, and with the kit came tie down straps consisting of a 9' long piece of 1 inch webbing with a loop at one end and another piece with a loop and one end and a cam buckle on the other. Two of those, with the short piece through the whipping and connected to biners for my removable ridgeline, and i'm in business.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jackyb88 View Post
    I've got a Yakima Hullraiser for my kayak, and with the kit came tie down straps consisting of a 9' long piece of 1 inch webbing with a loop at one end and another piece with a loop and one end and a cam buckle on the other.
    That may work perfectly for you. Do note, though, that if the webbing is nylon you may get lots of stretch. Polyester or PolyPro webbing is more appropriate for hammock use where the loads are more static than dynamic.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    62 X 2 = 124 , cut 2 pieces at 98" . This will give you a finished tarp around 8x10, with plenty allowance for seams and hems. Stitch extra reinforcing at tie out points, I used little triangle scraps. I just finished a tarp recently about this size and really like it. I stitched a hem down the two long sides (98") giving me a raw dimension rectangle of 124" x 98". Hems around the rest of the tarp will eat up the extra inch or two depending on your gear making mastery. Stitch on reinforcing patches here to give it a nice appearance, triangles seem to work good with this, directing loads and stress. Two at ridgeline. the four corners for sure and then any where else you might like them, I went with main ridgeline(2), and five each on the 120" sides. One on each corner, one center, and two 30" in from each corner. Your preference might vary. So just play with it. I hemmed my up and set it up (a bunch) to see where I wanted everything .
    Stitch on webbing for tie outs, install guy lines and ridgelines, set it up and see what your neighbors say.

I liked the versatility of this set up. I wasn't sure about doing cat cuts, they can be tricky on this slippery material. I can hang it on the 10' ridge or 8' ridge and make a big area to hide under, a tad short for total hammock coverage, my hammock is around 8'6" when tied up.
    Make a stuff sack with extra material.
    That will eat up your ten foot chunk.
    Now the 18' piece can be doubled and made into a double layer hammock or two singles if you cut it in half. 9' is a little short so just double it ,whip it and do a test hang to see if this is comfortable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gargoyle; 07-10-2009 at 00:31.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    You could make two tarps -- a 5x10 (if you enjoy life on the edge ) and an 8x10.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Images
    Angrysparrow, you were dead on right. I got way too much stretch from the nylon webbing, and when i replaced it with the tubular webbing i had, that slid right thought the cam buckle and sat me back on the ground. I guess my next step will be to pick up some D-rings, or some other kind of buckle. I guess it's time to spend a little more time with the suspenion primer threads.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    if you get D-rings make sure the are wicked heavy duty and welded. A better choice would be National Hardware Brand welded steel rings (300# capacity rating.) There are a few other options that I am not as familiar with. Even better choice would be SMC descender rings or onrope cinch buckle.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    MYOG w/ warbonnet-whipping
    Tarp
    MYOG hex
    Suspension
    Whoopies/webbing
    Images
    here's a link from a previous thread. its not all THAT big of a tarp, but it might give you some ideas on how to cut your fabrics...?

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=8068

plus it has no ridgeline seam... so no possibility of leaking overhead
    "The sea was angry that day, my friends! Like an old man... trying to send back soup at a deli!"

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by cwayman1 View Post

plus it has no ridgeline seam... so no possibility of leaking overhead
    even with a ridgeline seam, you don't have to worry about leaking, just seam seal it with clear 100% silicone (the kind you find at the hardware store)

• + New Posts