Hammock
    HH BULA
    Tarp
    Stock currently
    Insulation
    SuperShelter

Insulation when car camping

Fellow Hangers,

New to the site and hammock camping. I've gone a few times with dog and daughter in tow and it can still get quite cool in Colorado during the night. My daughter Cedar (2 yrs) and my Jack Russell Gus and I usually take a quick ride up the Poudre river and set the hammock up and sleep in it together. Sometimes it gets nippy at night. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for insulation when weight is not an option (aka car camping)?

Things I have on hand:
    I have a zero degree bag and a 15 degree bag, a folding Thermarest closed cell foam and a Thermarest inflating pad and 2 or 3 of those space blankets. Plus I have plenty of indian blankets, fleece blankets and comforters.

What I am looking for is the leanest and meanest answer. I mean I realize I could put all that in there and probably be warm but what would be the least amount of gear I could use for the max heat? I thought maybe use the zero degree on the bottom and the 15 degree on top but didn't know if I would eventually feel cool due to the down flattening out.

Anyway, I have enjoyed reading all the posts and look forward to some creative answers.

FRGus723

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    John Muir maintained that you'd never be cold as long as you had enough wool blankets. I think he's right. I've laid on them inside the hammock before. I don't think you'd have much luck rigging them as an underquilt, though... they'd leave too much of an air gap. Just like anything else used inside the hammock, they shift around a lot. CCF always works well; it just happens to be light.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    I have an Exped DAM #7 that I use when truck camping with the Scout troop. Probably could get to the teens with it and an UQ.

Works well for car camping. Plus - it is wider than Thermarest pads and BA Air Cores; i.e., it does not shift around as it takes up a lot of side space in the hammock. Negative - it takes a while to inflate since you use the carry bag to inflate - no direct blowing since the down inside would get wet with your breathe.

They make them in #9s also, which has more insulation capacity.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Mt Washington-4....(28 oz)....Zero degrees is easy and nothing in the hammock but an appropriate top quilt makes it a pleasure.... Wear a hat/hood...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    HH BULA
    Tarp
    Stock currently
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Thanks all for the advice.

It's not too much myself I'm concerned with as I have froze my a$$ off plenty of times in my life. It's the 2 year old mostly. I've got an army surplus right next door so maybe I go pick up a few Army issue wool blankies for this weekend and look into the other options for my more permanent setup.

Thanks again
    FRGus723

• + New Posts