Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Eno DN
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps

Ring Buckles and Amsteel

I have been searching, but I couldn't find the info I was looking for.

I have the stuff coming to make a new hammock and instead of a webbing suspension I was wondering if Amsteel blue can be used in a descender ring buckle system safely.

The only info I can seem to find is on the HH sheathed looking line, it would make life easy since all I would need to order is the rings and some new tree straps, but I wanted to see if anyone had tried it before I spent the money.

Hammock
    DIYGS 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Blue HarborFreight
    Insulation
    sleeping bag & pad
    Suspension
    dynaglide UCRs
    I believe the line deforms considerably after being pinched, but can be worked back into shape.
    Also, because it's so slippery, you'd want to add a half-hitch after adjusting.
    I vaguely remember someone saying that they needed to run the line through a little bit differently in order to get enough friction, as well, but it's been done.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    I'd think that would be a bit hard on the line.

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    The compression on the line was one worry I had and I really don't like falling on my butt.

I currently use webbing and buckles and it is so fast to set up and easy to adjust, but the webbing is bulky to pack.

Amsteel is great for space and weight but it is annoying trying to sling it up with all the lashing required.

I may just have to try my hand at making whoopie slings, but I was hoping the rings would work.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    The rings and amsteel are not a recommended combination, however a slipped buntline with amsteel is one method Warbonnet recommends and is shown in Grizz's video along with other methods.

Amsteel is at it's best with spliced configurations.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Yes you can, w/ backup hitch

Quote Originally Posted by sitdwnandhngon View Post
    I was wondering if Amsteel blue can be used in a descender ring buckle system safely.
    grizz and others were discussing this back in 2009 and he posted a very good series on YouTube videos which included it.

I would post a link but on a dang Samsung S4 and it's a pain to cut and paste with fat fingers. So for ur future reference as well:
    Google.com site:hammockforums.net Amsteel+ring

Cut and paste for yourself, this thread may even show up.

OH! gmcttr beat me to it. And gave you a warning. I figured grizz or a SBS would give it to you, only joking.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 06-03-2014 at 18:55. Reason: gmcttr got there 1st

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Thanks, I guess I will pass on the rings then and experiment a bit with straps and the marlin spike to see what I can do.

Banned
    Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

MSH basic to suspension survival skills

I believe that a MSH (Marlin Spike Hitch) is an essential hitch because it is very easy to improvise with a stick or ground stake or something else you can easily find if you lose or forget to pack other equipment. Learn it well, use it! However, long term you may prefer a carabiner or Dutch clip because it is faster, less stress on the webbing straps or just personal preference for some other reason. This is just my personal opinion. I designed highly redundant telecomm and data-communication equipment for many years and have done some extremely remote wilderness camping so I like to have multiple backup systems and skills. Your style of camping may not require such intense redundancy.

BTW I have found MSH useful for attaching the tarp guy lines to convenient shrubs and tree branches nearby and many other uses for it. Just requires a twig and tension.

Edit: just realized this may sound ambiguous and I need to post a photo sometime, but small shrubs flex and MSH jammed in a fork holds, as wind blows tarp, the shrub or tree branch gives a bit to prevent tarp from tearing but enough tension not to flap, i.e. self tensioning bushcraft style but fast and easy. Split bamboo pounded into the ground works best if you are lucky to be in an area plentiful with that invasive weed.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 06-04-2014 at 00:19. Reason: edit: last paragraph for clarification

Banned
    Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Misc MSH and "dead" stuff

After sleeping and thinking about my previous comment I realized that some folks not experience in the wilderness may not put their improvised ground stakes into the ground properly and a strong gust of wind can turn them into dangerous projectiles. Please be careful and use common sense! There is a limited amount of information most people can learn by reading their online devices and books and watching YouTube videos etc. I highly recommend taking a week or more of survival training from someone like Cody Lundin, and or camping with older highly experienced people.

I have learned plenty from people with far less experience than me, and I don't sarcastically mean how not to do things, newbies sometimes have great ideas. Your idea of using rings MIGHT be better if you dipped them in that silicon stuff from a HW store used to coat the ends of tools, but it MAY need to be re-applied after every few camping trips. I have not tried this so don't know exactly what to expect, and will not prejudge the outcome, but would not hang very high or on a steep slope above a deep canyon of certain death, with a river of class V rapids below etc. Or would at least update my will before hand, Blah, Blah, Blah. Terrible humor.
    http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

Here is a very old technique used for hundreds of years to hold a guy line in soft sandy soil or snow, an adjustable hitch is best but a MSH around a piece of wood or rock etc will also work (Deadman anchor or stake):

Edit: Another idea on improving the friction of the aluminum rings: add a mixture of super glue or JB Weld and the grit rubbed off of the finest sandpaper you can buy. Or wrap rings in duct tape. This is still a terrible solution compared to a Whoopie Sling, because the Amsteel will still wear out faster with gritty rings. But I believe it "could be done". Therefore I still prefer not to use the word "never". To say that most people find other solutions like W.S. and MSH to be better are answers to a different question. I just like to answer the original question. "Can a ring system be used safely?" i gave a qualified yes.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 06-04-2014 at 09:11. Reason: edit: added more crazy ideas

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    How did we get from hammock ring suspensions to tarp ground stakes? Let's stay somewhat on topic.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast