Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    GT SBP
    Tarp
    GT Funky Forrest

CRL: Whoopie vs Dutch ware

I've been checking out some new suspension systems for my hammock and have pretty much decided on the whoopie/webbing/toggle style but was curious about the differences between the dutch ware CRL(http://dutchwaregear.com/continuous-ridgeline.html) and the one on whoopie slings(http://shop.whoopieslings.com/Single...-Line-TRL1.htm). It seems like the only real difference is the hardware used to hang it on the trees so my main question is, does the dutch ware hardware hold up well? I recently bought the Grand Trunk Funky Tarp along with the SBP so that's what I'll be using it with.

Any other insights on the gear on either site is greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird DL 1.8 Blue/Black
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ (Synth)
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    CRL is for your tarp

Hammock
    GT SBP
    Tarp
    GT Funky Forrest
    Quote Originally Posted by lanejustin View Post
    CRL is for your tarp
    Yea I am aware of that, sorry if i worded my question weird but I was asking about the differences between the 2 for my GT funky tarp. I've already decided on the suspension system and now looking at lines for my tarp. Depending on what tarp line I get I'll also most likely buy the rest of the stuff from the same site.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Does titanium hold up better than plastic and aluminum? Hmmm, let me think about that. Okay, done. The titanium will probably outlive you.

I have both CRLs, and the main differences are cost and weight. The Dutch CRL costs $28 and weighs 19 grams. The equivalent Whoopieslings CRL costs $30 and weighs 31 grams. You decide.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 06-04-2014 at 11:27.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    You're right about the differences - it's just the hardware. Either option you posted will work fine. The Ti Dutchware is great and I'd spend the few money for it. If you don't like it for some reason, you can easily resell the Dutchware and probably pick up some Niteize Figure-9s locally.

I pieced it all together myself in the end, but I'm currently using exactly what is shown in the Dutchware link.
    Last edited by AaronMB; 06-04-2014 at 11:47.

Hammock
    GT SBP
    Tarp
    GT Funky Forrest
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Does titanium hold up better than plastic and aluminum? Hmmm, let me think about that.
    Thanks for the non direct and sarcastic response....

I realize titanium is strong but when machined so small, MAYBE the other set up could hold up better. I have no idea being I never held either piece in my hand and haven't been able to compare them, which is what brought me to my question. I was leaning towards the Dutchware gear anyway because of the lightness and titanium but is it really that bad to want to ask people who know more then I do about the subject to make sure?

Hammock
    GT SBP
    Tarp
    GT Funky Forrest
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronMB View Post
    You're right about the differences - it's just the hardware. Either option you posted will work fine. The Ti Dutchware is great and I'd spend the few extra clams for it. If you don't like it for some reason, you can easily resell the Dutchware and probably pick up some Niteize Figure-9s locally.

I pieced it all together myself in the end, but I'm currently using exactly what is shown in the Dutchware link.
    Thank you for the response, that's more what I was looking for. I'm not crazy into everything being ultralight weight but it is a nice plus. My main concerns were how well it holds up and ease of use which both seems to fit pretty well. I'd like to put together everything myself too as it doesnt seem all that hard if you have the right stuff but I'll probably end up buying it pre made for now just to get a feel for everything and figure out what I like.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Feel free to ask. That's what we're here for. I'm fairly certain both setups will outlive you because the components are dirt simple, but the Dutch CRL wins out on durability, cost, ease of use and weight.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    GT SBP
    Tarp
    GT Funky Forrest
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Feel free to ask. That's what we're here for. I'm fairly certain both setups will outlive you because the components are dirt simple, but the Dutch CRL wins out on durability, cost, ease of use and weight.
    Thanks, sounds perfect and just what I'm looking for.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    +1 for the dutch CRL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast