Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Are Hammock Tarps reversable?

My first ever hammock with arrive today (skeepter Beeter Pro), and I was wondering about tarps.

I havent ordered a tarp yet. I actually bought my first sewing machine a few days ago and I was thinking of making one myself, maybe.

Are tarps usually reversible? I haven't looked at one in person, so I dont know yet how they really look, other than online pictures.

What i mean by reversible, is that I will be hiking long trails with my Husky. I was thinking of putting a banner with the words "Ricky&Jack, Dalton Georgia" on the tarp so that when im camped, Other forum members/hikers will know who we are, and maybe if someone is also from my home town area, it'll help us start conversations/friendships.

I thought it may be great if we meet people on the trails early on, and separate. If later on down the trail they see my specific banner/tarp, they would stop and say hi, etc.

But if theres a time where I dont really want to advertise my presence, can i just flip the tarp over so that the plan side is visible, and not the banner?

Or is the 'top' of the tarp ALWAYS the top?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    In general, no, hammock tarps are not reversible. If you're thinking of painting something on your tarp it may be difficult to find something that would adhere to a waterproof surface. I know ENO puts their logo on the tarps, but they're a manufacturer and you're not.

The primary function of a tarp is weather protection, so once you start looking for things like "reversible" and "capable of supporting a logo" you'll probably start straying to fabrics that aren't as good at their primary function of weather protection.

Most people who want to advertise themselves hang a little flag at their campsite. I've seen a lot of people with flags with the HF logo or whatever. Somebody on the forums make them.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 06-04-2014 at 13:12.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow Dragon
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks
    Marty from Wilderness Logics did a custom one I saw on youtube, black on one side and reflecting shiny on the other side...

Images
    I wasnt sure if I could Iron on letters, paint letters, or sew them on.

I may look into a small strip of fabric with the letters, and just paperclip them to the tarp when I want to hang it.

(While tent camping, to use a banner, i stuck my 2 hiking poles in the dirt 3 feet apart, and tied the batter between them.)

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    IMO You'd be better off using the banner approach.

That way you can hang it between two trees (or 2 of anything for that matter) where it's visible. It will give you the versatility that you are looking for.

If you did sew letters onto the tarp, you'd have to seam seal all the stitching so the needle holes won't leak in the rain and as you said, there might be times when you don't want to be advertising yourself.

When you want the banner to be on the tarp you could always attach it to the ridge line at the top and to the guy line attachment points on the bottom edge so that it would lay against the tarp.

Images
    yeah, somebody on WB forum messaged me a few min ago about the ridgeline idea.

They mentioned that some HF members hang "flags" with they fourm names etc.

Im trying to browse the gallery to see if theres a pic of some. No luck yet.

Hammock
    WB Traveler w/ DIY Bug net
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    WB Straps, Dclips
    Iron on lettering will peel off. Printing on nylon requires a catalyst to be added to the ink while it's still liquid so it will bond to the material. And then it needs to be used within a very limited time.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Many members here use a custom made flag, here is where they get them http://dwflags.com/store/

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Looks like Devil Woman makes the flags. This should get you started:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...631#post192631
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Depending on the fabric you use on whether there is a "top" or "bottom". A more determining factor will be the seams. You don't want seams aligned to catch water as it flows down. This will be more likely to cause leaking. Imagine how shingles are overlapped on your roof.

If you want to add a banner to the tarp I'd suggest down along the bottom edge where if it does leak, it won't be above you. You could make it removable using velcro. There also has been a thread here talking about using stitch witchery to bind one layer of nylon to another. I haven't tried ot, but thrre is that option. Advantage here is no sewing holes.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast