Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy EXPEDITION ASYM
    Tarp
    8 x 10

How to get stop ants getting into hammock?

Does anyone know how to prevent ants from invading a hammock - coming up the tree and along the hammock rope?

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Ha! Good question. I've never had them invade my hammock, but last weekend I was hiking. I set my pack down for lunch, leaving the top open. Lunch turned into a nap. Eventually I woke up and went on down the trail. When I stopped for dinner, I found out that my pack had been colonized with big black ants. They weren't really causing any trouble and I entertained myself with hunting them down and releasing them into the new part of the forest they had hitched to.

To deter sweet ants in my kitchen, I spray everything with vinegar. It works really well and won't harm nylon or polyester (I use loads of it in my laundry). I have a feeling this might only work with ants that are out seeking sugar.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    I've never tried it, but you could treat your suspension lines with permethrin. I guess it would work with ants.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Spraying bug spray on the lines should work. Sprays not only kill when sprayed on the insects but also can be used to create a barrier over which they won't walk.

I don't know if the repellent you're probably carrying with you when camping will work, but it's worth a try before you find you have to take another product along.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I haven't had any problems but then the HH has the integral bugnet which works for more than flying critters.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 15
    Insulation
    Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    If it were me, I would probably try to hang moth balls from the suspension lines, maybe in a nylon sock or something. If they didn't work on ants, they would at least keep bears out of your hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Permethrin on the straps, and the hammock net/body if you are also concerned about mosquitos. I've had ants in my bear vault but not in the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliff355 View Post
    If it were me, I would probably try to hang moth balls from the suspension lines, maybe in a nylon sock or something. If they didn't work on ants, they would at least keep bears out of your hammock.
    Naphthalene is really dangerous, nasty stuff. I wouldn't want that hanging anywhere near my head while I slept.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB 1.7 Dbl & ENO Dbl.
    Tarp
    GoLite Cave 2
    Insulation
    Thermarest or CCF
    Suspension
    Rings n' Straps
    DEET tends to weaken and discolour nylon, so I second the Permethrin ideas. You should be able to soak or wash it into your straps at home before use. Its intended for use on clothes - DEET is intended for skin.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    We were on a school feild trip, and one of the moms pulled out a pack of dryer sheets. The same ones you toss in the dryer. She had them in a little zip-lock bag. Everybody grab one and wiped them all over their face and exposed parts. Repeled the mosquitoes good, might work on ants. Just tie one to suspension, and gear. Apparently, the bugs don't like the smell or chemicals in dryer sheets.
    After wiping down, tuck sheet under collar of shirt, wear for the day. Pack nice and small, if you just carry 10-20 sheets.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast