Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I got the Hex tarp off amazon and the whoopies and a continuous ridgeline setup from Dutch. It all came in the mail today! Yay! Now, to get it all dialed in before my trip in a week and a half!

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If you go with whoopies on the hammock you will not have the all in one like it comes stock. Just something to consider.

My son slept through a big rain storm with the asym tarp and he stayed dry. And it is not difficult to change sitting in the hammock for privacy.

You just have to decide how you want to hang.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE
    I say go with the Hex. If it isn't needed for the weather your hammock will fit even better in the snakeskins making set up quicker and providing you with a nicer view of the stars. If, on the other hand, it is needed you will really appreciate the extra coverage for getting dressed under a dry tarp, the wind protection, and if you have to go to ground for some reason a tarp can be a life saver for coverage.

Also, consider that if it does rain, in the morning you are packing your hammock with a wet tarp, whereas the separate hexfly means your hammock can pack inside your pack with only your hex on the outside.

And, personally, I find the fly for the HH doesn't provide enough coverage for wind and rain blowing sideways as can often happen in a lot of areas. The best kit Tom makes is the HH Hexfly with the corner line pockets. Can't beat it for the price.
    Please enter your signature here.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangandy View Post
    And, personally, I find the fly for the HH doesn't provide enough coverage for wind and rain blowing sideways as can often happen in a lot of areas.
    I feel the same way. I know I can fiddle with the stock tarp to get get it close enough and tight enough to handle most weather, but when the weather is bad enough for it to be necessary to fiddle with the tarp, that's exactly when I'd rather be under the tarp, not playing with it.

I expect you'll be happy with the Hex. I had my stock tarp and a large, Gear Guide tarp. I tend to travel with the stock because it's so much lighter and smaller, but if I'm expecting bad weather, I suck it up and take the big boy. Then I damaged my stock tarp, and I decided to replace it with something lighter than my cheap, Gear Guide tarp but with better coverage then the stock tarp, probably either a Hex or a Superfly. Either way I look forward to more time being dry underneath my tarp and less time out in the rain trying to get it pitched just right.

Hammock
    DIY Camo Gathered-End
    Tarp
    DIY Camo Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Pad & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I'll always take the bigger tarp with more coverage... and I've never been rained on, even in the monsoons. I like a tarp that goes up quickly, and shifts from mode to mode quickly and easily, i.e. cooking, relaxing, sleeping, storming. In fact, I'm waiting on a delivery of goodies from DIYGS so I can build the 10'x12' "winter tarp" they offer plans for.
    I make gear... lots and lots of gear.
    http://campingwithken.com/

Hammock
    HH explorer zip
    Tarp
    SLD winter haven
    Insulation
    potomac uq, bag tq
    Suspension
    diy ratchet straps
    I've had a few stressful nights in horrible weather under the stock tarp, never got wet though.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Tarp and H suspension lite but full

All the suggestions above were good and many other threads on these topics in the last few months as well but here are my 2 cents worth of thoughts just for fun.

Privacy, low weight, weather protection: long term save up for a cuben fiber full coverage tarp. But near term take a poncho, hang on windward and or trail side for privacy and to reduce blowing rain. Final layer of clothing (underwear) change in hammock or use nylon kilt or after dark if you have neighbors. If it is pouring down rain and you find a dry high spot on the trail with leaf litter or rock not mud it is not that difficult to change cloths, cathole, bath or whatever under a full coverage "dark" poncho. Ask a military GI, marine, SF, etc.

Suspension: you may save a few grams if you replace stock cord and 42' "tree hugger" webbing straps with 24-36" x 1' polyester webbing straps (loops on both ends) and light Amsteel or 2mm dyneema whoopies you make yourself. Can have them all attached to hammock for quick setup. "Sewn in" Dutch clips make it super fast or carabiner is OK. Good source of straps if you don't want to make ur own (Gary is a HF member and can semi or full custom make you hammock straps):
    www.readystrap.com

Single or Double eye straps $0.25 -0.35 per foot plus $ 2 per loop 1200 to 6000 pounds breaking strength for 1" wide webbing.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 06-24-2014 at 07:54. Reason: fixed link

Hammock
    WBRR / WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UGQ
    Suspension
    Buckles / Whoopies
    Short answer: Do you need a hex tarp? No. Do you need a WarBonnet SuperFly? Yes. Here's a link : http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/superfly/
    I'm a Mormon. I know it, I live it, and I love it.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Hennessy vs WB both good

There is nothing wrong with remaining loyal to the Hennessy Hammock brand Hex Tarp or their monsoon, typhoon etc with doors rather than Warbonnet brand. Pros and cons of silnylon vs cuben fiber vs polyester all discussed in great detail here at HF. I like silnylon OK but it does mist more and with age during strong rainstorms but much cheaper than cuben fiber and a few other advantages. Don't sweat the decision to much they are all good and different trips and climates, times of year better with different tarps. Heck, a piece of Tyvek taped and epoxied together will work if you really need it to.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Asym Fly from HH
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I would pass on the Hex unless you are expecting major storms... I hang with the stock one through a pretty big storm here in Va the other day and it held great. If you want a very quick suspension over the tying method of hennessy just tie each side to make a big loop and connect a carabiner to each end then just attach it to the straps or get a pair of atlas. This is a super simple set up that you can do in the dark no problem.

The plus to this is you can attach the tarp actually at the knots on either side with the little clasps and they will act as a RL for the fly. Although you need to be really precise on the knot tie to get it right. I just use two prussik knots with a mini biner attached to either side that way you can make it tighter.

I am going to get a hex at some point just for the rainer times of the year but the stock tarp definitely works.
    Ok edit on this... Went to hang my hammock at my parents when I visit them because it is honestly a more comfortable lay than the old mattress that they have... Huge wind and rain storm came through.... my fly did not hold there was actual dip in the fly and rain was sitting there. My hammock was soaked and I hat to just pull it down mid storm... Thankfully I was not really camping in the backwoods otherwise life would have sucked.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast