DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Z-Packs DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Looking for opinions on my indoor stand design

I've been thinking about going full time for a while but being an apartment dweller can't put holes in the walls. This is what I've come up with. Going for cheap & simple, no base because it'll be wedged into a corner & blocked in on the other end. I'll be hanging in a 90X156 table cloth (gathered & knotted) w/whoopies.

APT HAMMOCK STAND.jpg

Thoughts?

edit: probably should have been in DIY, feel free to move it.
    Last edited by BlueGoat; 06-07-2014 at 12:08.

Hammock
    Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch & Anchors
    I have something like this, but its in the backyard, and its on 4 legs instead of 2. The need for the supports on the inside of the frame or in my opinion unnecessary. The forces are going to be shear vertical forces downward on the outside vertical posts, and there is going to be lateral compression force between the vertical supports, on the horizontal beam. Assuming the dimension on the lumber you use is at least 2" x 4" you are not going to compress that horizontal beam. What the diagonal supports would add would be lateral stability on the long axis, but if its wedged between a wall and something immovable, the lateral lengthwise stability shouldn't be an issue. The reason I think this could be beneficial is because you could essentially achieve the same hang height, with a lower top horizontal beam, and less materials overall. Just my 2 cents, good luck with it!

Edit: Also if this is going to be a fixed hang - I dont think I would go with whoopies as they force a greater mandatory minimum distance that you can hang, due to the bury, so depending on the width of the space you are working with, I would consider making a 2 sided locked brummel dogbone, or a chain link / continuous loop that is just measured to be the right length. Again that is all assuming that this is going to be a semi permanent or fixed location.

My thought is you could probably get away with just 2x4s if not not 1x4s. But 2x4 are cheaper if I recall correctly. I think the angle braces are needed otherwise there is nothing to kep the legs from being pulled in from the bottom.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch & Anchors
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    My thought is you could probably get away with just 2x4s if not not 1x4s. But 2x4 are cheaper if I recall correctly. I think the angle braces are needed otherwise there is nothing to kep the legs from being pulled in from the bottom.
    That is an interesting remark. I would think that if you positioned your anchor point on top of your vertical post, there would be little to no inward lateral force from the bases of the vertical posts. Also, if dealing with inward lateral force at the bottom of the vertical post was a concern, having the angle braces so high is less than ideal, if thats something that concerns you I would consider putting a diagonal brace essentially inverted of where you have it presently, however I do not think inward lateral force is something that will be an issue as long as your anchor points are at the top of the vertical posts. Just my thoughts, Im not an engineer or anything.

I was looking at his drawing which shows anchor points not at the top but at base of angled pieces. I was also thinking the horizontal piece would be at ceiling height so as to be out of the way.
    Life is Good!
    用心棒

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Z-Packs DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    My plan is to have this sit diagonally in the room to get 11.5' between the hang points, so the horizontal member needs to be as high as possible to keep it out of the way. The Ultimate Hang calculator says that with 400lbs in the hammock (yes, overkill but some unlucky lady may wander in, never know) there's 350lbs of horizontal force at the hang points. The bottom of the columns are not anchored to the floor by anything but gravity, the diagonal kickers will transfer the horizontal force to the horizontal member.

I chose all the materials because they're readily available, cheap enough (estimating $50 for everything), the joist hangers fit both the 3.5" width of the 4x4 & the 2x's & no need for tools other than a tape measure, saw & screwdriver.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Z-Packs DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    OOPS, I goofed on the drawing. the horizontal member & kickers are 2x4's not 4x4's.

If I may suggest two 2x4s screwed together will be cheaper than one 4x4 and just as strong. 2x4 studs are very cheap.
    Life is Good!
    用心棒

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, Incub20
    Suspension
    Web Susp
    I like it. You've given me something to think about! Now, where did I put the saw?

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird DL 1.8 Blue/Black
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ (Synth)
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by BLS2.3T View Post
    I've been thinking about going full time for a while but being an apartment dweller can't put holes in the walls. This is what I've come up with. Going for cheap & simple, no base because it'll be wedged into a corner & blocked in on the other end. I'll be hanging in a 90X156 table cloth (gathered & knotted) w/whoopies.

APT HAMMOCK STAND.jpg

Thoughts?

edit: probably should have been in DIY, feel free to move it.
    What is blocking it in on the other end? I'd be interested in something like that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast