Hammock
    DIY Argon 1.6 Woodland Camo
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 30/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Buckles 'n' Straps

Finally got my HH tarp setup right... I think?!?!

I have an ENO DN and Atlas straps and really like the ease of hanging it up. I wanted to make my HH Expedition work the same way with the Atlas Straps. The other problem I had with the HH is I've never been confident in my ability to get the rain fly squared away.

So... I pulled the small tarp off the HH thinking I would just use the Kelty Noah 12 tarp I have on the way. Then tied figure 8 loops 18" from the knots on the suspension lines and added caribiners. Done... so I though?!?!

After some more reading, watching Derek's "Rigging a No-sag HH Tarp" video (http://theultimatehang.com/2014/01/r...-hammock-tarp/) and realizing I might need tarps on both hammocks at some point (if I take my wife, one of the boys, buddy, have a a backup setup in the truck, whatever) I decided I wanted to be able to use the HH rainfly in some situations and wanted to use it the way it was intended and not have to rig up separate lines or anything like that.

So I moved my figure eight loops out another foot and a half (or something like that) so I would have room for the Prusik knots and be able to stretch the tarp tight using Derek's technique in the video.

I realize this is all pretty much beginner stuff but that's what I am! It was a bit of a challenge but I think I've got it. In retrospect it's pretty simple but it was a small winding road getting here.

My goal is to get the ENO and the HH squared away, master the Kelty tarp when it gets here and then turn my focus to making DIY hammocks with my boys and Cub Scouts.

I might add whoopie slings and change things up later but for now this is what I wanted. I don't want to spend any more money on these two hammocks at the moment because I want to make sure I am really into it and that I am going to get out as much as I think I am before I get too crazy with it. (might be too late)

Along with getting my caribiners setup in the right spots, this is the first time I feel good about the HH rain fly so I'm feeling pretty good about it at this point.

It is supposed to storm tonight so I am going to give it a backyard test run and see how it goes. Wish me luck!

20140607_202923.jpg 20140607_202934.jpg 20140607_202943.jpg 20140607_202948.jpg 20140607_203020.jpg
    Last edited by bc2020; 06-07-2014 at 21:24.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 30/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Buckles 'n' Straps
    2.5"+ of rain in the past 2 days and it's still nice and dry in there. Tarp is tight and all is well. I slept in it Saturday night and was in it off and on yesterday and last night. I think I have restored my confidence in that setup, that feels good!

It wasn't very windy and I still have concerns about that small rainfly in a hard windy storm but other than that, all good.

Now I'll tear it all apart and redo it with whoopie slings when my Amsteel gets here.

Hammock
    HH Expedition zip
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Sweet set up, thanks for sharing! I have HH Expedition zip and share your concerns with the tarp for anything other than a rain shower. I use an old man winter tarp, which is overkill but has proven pretty bombproof in our Great Plains thunderstorms, sideways rain and all. Being from Oklahoma I know you too are very familiar with the condition.

This weekend, my son and I just completed our first setup using the Atlas straps and I love them, we use a carabiner with a slippery larks head so the Atlas straps are a breeze. We did have slight sag over time but nothing to bad.

Thanks again for posting.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 30/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Buckles 'n' Straps
    Yeah, they were getting 60-70mph wind gusts in Western OK Friday and Saturday night but the storms weren't that windy by the time they got to us (OKC), not that I saw anyway.

I was kinda hoping for it. I really wanted to see how it would do since I could just run into the house if I started to get wet. I feel completely comfortable with it now in anything other than a really windy storm though. I actually prefer the smaller fly if I am just carrying it "in-case" a storm kicks up and I'll be able to use the other tarp for a separate covered area if I have both with me.

We usually know if there is a chance of heavy storms around here well in advance. It doesn't happen very often these days as I'm sure you know!

I think I will go ahead and make and put Whoopie Slings on it along with smaller carabiners. Just to go to a smaller rope and get rid of that big knot. I'll be ordering a spool of Amsteel to make hammocks for my boys anyway.

I told myself I wasn't going to get carried away with these hammocks but it is happening!

Hammock
    HH Exped Classic, Dutch Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Forum Member Made
    Insulation
    JRB HR, Greylock3
    Suspension
    Rings, Whoopies
    Images
    Looks great! I'm extremely new to all of this and have only been able to get my Expedition Classic Entry hung up two or three times. The most recent being at a very crowded city part for what should have been an overnighter. Well, the weather beat us, and we (my gf especially) needed to bail. In the meantime, my hammock, PLUQ, and JRB Hudson River got SOAKED. I'm not sure if it was just the sideways rain, or maybe I hung the tarp upside down. I was really bad, and now I'm not sure if I'll make it back anywhere to try again until the heat subsides.

In short, I'm glad you've restored your confidence in your set up. I hope to be there this fall.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Tarp
    hennessy rain fly
    Suspension
    readystraps
    I love my hennessy, even in the rain. One thing I always do if impending rain, on your tie outs for your hammock fly wings, there is little clips to hook to your tie outs to the hammock bunjee tie outs. As you get into your hammock, it should pull the "wings" down beside you. Any side or blowing rain should be deflected then. Hope this is helpful to you.

I run the side tie outs for both my hammock and fly to the same ground stake as well. Keeps the fly closer for blowing rain.

• + New Posts