Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Standard ASYM Tarp
    Suspension
    Tree Hugger Straps

First steps to staying warm?

Hello i'm a noobie with hammocks. I just recently purchased a Hennessy Hammock explorer deluxe and love it. I slept in it for a week last month. Most nights I was alright except the first night it got cold and I had trouble sleeping. My setup was a cold weather sleeping bag and a foam pad and a towel. I am worried that if I attempt to sleep in cooler weather I will regret it. So my question is what should my first upgrade be to improve the warmth of my hammock. Thanks, Brett

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Insulation
    Hg 0 incubator
    Suspension
    atlas straps
    Images
    I'm a newbie too, had the same issues and it seems that underquilts are the best options. I'm still waiting on mine to arrive from Hammockgear. There are a lot of great resources/reviews/comparisons on here.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Standard ASYM Tarp
    Suspension
    Tree Hugger Straps
    Thanks, I was also wondering if it's worth it to just buy the official Hennessy Hammock gear? Their "supershelter" which is the underquilt and undercover is $150. Their reflective sleeping pad is $35. Their overcover is $40. They also have some really intense rainflies that vary in price. Thanks, Brett

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    There should be many reports scattered throughout the Hennessy Hammocks forum about the SS and other gear.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ FJ + Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutchware Cinches
    Images
    You should check out the Hennessy section of the forums as there are many discussions about the SuperShelter. I have a Hennessy and use my UGQ Zeppelin with it with very warm results. I have had. Success with sleeping pads for warmth but find under quilts more comfortable. But I cannot compare under quilts with the SS as I have not yet tried the Hennessy branded solution to cold hangs.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    Newbie here too. Did a lot of research and after talking to Adam, ordered a 20 degree from HG. Liked it because the width is more than others to cover shoulders better. I will give a review after a couple uses.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brohawk View Post
    Newbie here too. Did a lot of research and after talking to Adam, ordered a 20 degree from HG. Liked it because the width is more than others to cover shoulders better. I will give a review after a couple uses.
    That talking to Adam thing can get expensive. I'd advise against it!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Everest, as a somewhat senior guy here on the forums, I would highly recommend towards an underquilt as your first insulation purchase. The only thing I must ask is, is your hennessey a zip? If not I recommend a JRB uq that has an opening for the entrance to your shelter. If you cannot afford a JRB quilt (because they are a little pricey) Arrowhead equipment makes a synthetic model specifically for hennessey hammocks as well. If your hammock is a zip model, any underquilt will work for you. The Supershelter underquilt is an open cell foam (unique to them) type that has limited conforming ability, I won't knock it, because I haven't tried it, but talk to Billybob58 for more info regarding Hennessey's prior to any of your purchases. He is our resident expert on The hennessey brand here on HF. I hope this helps. Peace.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Standard ASYM Tarp
    Suspension
    Tree Hugger Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    Everest, as a somewhat senior guy here on the forums, I would highly recommend towards an underquilt as your first insulation purchase. The only thing I must ask is, is your hennessey a zip? If not I recommend a JRB uq that has an opening for the entrance to your shelter. If you cannot afford a JRB quilt (because they are a little pricey) Arrowhead equipment makes a synthetic model specifically for hennessey hammocks as well. If your hammock is a zip model, any underquilt will work for you. The Supershelter underquilt is an open cell foam (unique to them) type that has limited conforming ability, I won't knock it, because I haven't tried it, but talk to Billybob58 for more info regarding Hennessey's prior to any of your purchases. He is our resident expert on The hennessey brand here on HF. I hope this helps. Peace.
    Thanks guys I really appreciate the help and mine is bottom entry.

Hammock
    HH UL BP Classic
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Their double bubble radiant pad is definitely a worthwhile investment. I used it last summer and fall and this spring without an underquilt.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast